Burnt out pump in a silvia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt out pump in a silvia?

So i think Ive burnt the pump out in my Silvia.

See I use a timer to turn it on in the morning before I get up and when I went to make my morning double shot latte I notice the light on the hot water pump on. Hmmmm, but no pump running. I quickly turned it off, on, tried the brew switch and all the normal bits and pieces but no luck. Seems at some point between turning the machine off and the timer turning it back on again the hot water button got switched to the on state.

So a new pump is on the cards. Do i just order one from coffee parts or do i need to get new bits and piece to go around it (like seals and stuff)

Thanks from decaffeinated Matt

Re: Burnt out pump in a silvia?

Are you assuming it overworked and burned itself out? Were that the case, there should be a litre of two of water overflowing from the drip tray.

You have tried pumping water with the hot water switch? Anything happen?

The pump changeover should be straight forward once you remove the top cover and the panel between the tank and pump.

But be satified it is the pump at fault first.

--Robusto

Comment

Gday MattB,

Just looking at the electrical schematic for the Silvia below, there appears to be an Overload Protection device in series with the Pump..... Perhaps this has "tripped" and requires resetting? I am not at all knowledgeable of the general arrangement of hardware under the bonnet of the Silvia so perhaps other experienced Silvia owners might be able to help out with where this device is located and whether it is of the reset-able type as some of these things are useless once operated and have to be replaced... theyre very cheap though.

There is also an Over Temperature protection device in series with the heating element to protect the element from burnout should the boiler be empty. I think in the case of this unit though, it is reset-able via pressing down on a small Red Button that pops up when it is operated. Before you check any of this though, make sure that Silvias plug is removed from the power point and under your control.... 240V AC can and will kill ....

Cheers,
      Mal.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys,

As it turns out when I got home from work all was well. Im guessing the pump overload protection is self-resettable. I will look it to that, dont really want to test it again.

Mal thanks for the warning about 240V and death and such. Im an electronics/electrical engineer and normally handing out the warnings but find myself all to often not heeding them

Comment

Glad all is well -- a cheap fix!

But the mystery deepens --- was there a pool of pumped out water?
          For the pump to have overloaded it must have pumped a lot of water continuously Either through the group, open steam valve, or back into the tank if a blind filter had been in place....

Or....the tank was empty and it sucked air.

Robusto

Comment

Hey Robusto,

Yeah was a nice easy fix.

It was the hot water button that was on with the steam valve closed and the water in the tank was hotter than normal. So Im guessing the water was cycling around in circles through the OPV back into the tank, back through the pump into the boiler then out the OPV again.

Matt

Comment

That explains it.   It certainly would have stressed everything  including the silicon plumbing and pump which arent really supposed  to have boiling water running through.

But the machine lived, and that says something about Silvias robust design and build.

--Robusto

PS: those timers can be a trap for the unwary. Its like the old adage, measure twice, cut once.

Before handing the machine over to the timer for safe keeping overnight, I always ensure that NOTHING is happening with the main switch left on. No pump running, steam valve tightly shut (and cooled), brew switch off, steam switch off, boiler full of water.

Then, satisfied alls OK, I pull a switch on the timer to by-pass it and supply power to the machine. If nothing still happens, I know its safe to put the timer back on.

Just a thought.

Would hate my early morning alarm to be the sound of hot water being splattered onto the kitchen bench.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by Mattb link=1172650141/0#5 date=1172726023
                So Im guessing the water was cycling around in circles through the OPV back into the tank, back through the pump into the boiler then out the OPV again.
                That would certainly overload the pump Matt, thankfully Rancilio have used a reset-able device, some use fusible links that have to be replaced. My background is in Electrical/Electronics engineering too so birds of a feather it would seem

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                X