EM6910 Naked PortaFilter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 Naked PortaFilter

I just have a question, as Im relatively new to coffee making and also only a recent purchaser of a Sunbeam EM6910 - what is the benefit of converting the portafilter into a naked one? :-?

Im thinking that it would just make more of a mess, since the extract will go everwhere but into the cup, no?

Or is it just so that you can enjoy a hotter cuppa coffee? Curious newbie mind wants to know....

Re: WANTED: EM6910 portafilter (not 6900) used/new

Im glad someone asked about this as I have been curious as well.

Comment

Its a diagnostic tool... to see if your dosing and tamping techniques are causing channelling of not......

Comment

What avatar? Theres no picture that I can see anywhere? :-?

One day Ill "graduate" to troubleshooting my pour, but for now, if the Sunbeam dial points into the golden triangle, Im happy enough with that.

Lawrance

Comment

Lawrance you should be trying to get to the brown zone not the golden zone.
          That was what the Sunbeam course said as well.

Thanks for the info Marc. I cant see your Avatar either.

Comment

Modded my original post...see above...

must see why my Avator isnt working...

cool...sorted my avator

Comment

*slurp!* Mmm, that coffee pour from the naked PF looks very yummy!

OK, Ill have to learn how to get to the brown zone. Im waiting to hear back from the coffee appreciation course organisers for when I can be booked in for my "lesson" on how to use my Sunbeam.

Hopefully Ill be able to report back any improvements once I get out of the golden zone and into the brown zone. Im looking forward to pulling better shots. Whoohoo!

Lawrance

Comment

Lawrance, what grinder are you using?

You need to get past the gold area on the gauge... so either dose up or use a finer grind. What you are after is a nice dark pour with a dripping honey effect... golden nector :-) and cut the pour when the colour goes blonde... if you dont think you made th 25/\/30mil volume, doesnt matter... with Espresso, less is more

The Sunbeam course is a good one and youll get a good lesson there...

Comment

Re: EM6910 Naked PortaFilter

Hi Marcstolk,

I currently do not have a grinder. Ive visited the Coffee Company in Balacava earlier on this week and bought some Java, which they have ground for me with number 3 setting on their machine. I suspect that I will need a finer grind still, as the indicator on the EM6910 is still very much still in the gold area, despite me maximising my dose and tamping as hard as possible.

I am getting a nice dark pour but its not dripping like honey yet.

Itll be really interesting to attend the Sunbeam course. Im now booked in on Saturday 28th April in Melbourne. Whoohoo!

Im also still researching like mad for a high end grinder, as Im led to believe that the grinder is key to making good espresso.

Comment

100% of your problem is using stale preground.

Did you know coffee goes stale after being exposed to air in about 10 minutes!?

Im glad you already know you need a grinder.

Comment

hey guys is the thread on the 6910 PF a 3.8"?

Comment

3/8" i meant

Comment

Hi

Anyone know where you get get a naked Portafilter for the EM6910?

I found http://www.espressoworkshop.com/ which will do it for you, but then you need to buy a new portafilter, ship it over, get it back etc.

Looking for a one stop shop.

Rgds
                          Ben

Comment

I believe quite a few people have converted their own spare PFs with a holesaw. The PF is only brass, so should be relatively easy to cut and smooth - still wont be a professional finish, but probably worth the effort IMO. Ive used the naked pf exclusively so far; its already helped me correct a number of errors in a couple of days

Comment

Hi M@

Any idea where to get a spare portafilter? Any ideas on cost?

Thnks
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X