Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combined Rancilio espresso and grinder machine

Howdy CSers,

Yesterday I was at the Prahran market.  My eyes nearly popped out when I saw a Rancilio machine which had both the espresso machine (Silvia) and the grinder (Rocky) built into the one unit.

Has anyone got any information on this 2-in-1 product?  Its almost like the folks at Rancilio have just combined the Silvia and the Rocky together into one.  What do you call this machine?  Miss Rocky?   ;D

Re: Combined Rancilio espresso and grinder machine

Were both units separate (i.e. side by side) on a stainless steel double drawer unit underneath....?

That has been available for a while O/S - not sure about in Oz...

Comment

Hi JavaB,

No its not the two separate units with the stainless shelf and two side by side drawers.

This Rancilio unit was both a grinder and an espresso machine combined as one, i.e. the sheet metal enclosed both together, so its not even like a siamese twin, where theres two distinct parts joined together but a single unit with two functional areas.

Kinda hard to describe and ****** do not allow photography inside their shop.

Comment

Must be the Rancilio Lucy.

Comment

This is most bizarre, I cannot find this unit on Rancilios website.

They just have the Silvia and the Rocky as separate units

http://www.rancilio.com/rancilio/prodotti.jsp?id_language=3&id_category=26

Ill give the Essential Ingredient people a call to find out more about that machine.

Stay tuned.

Comment

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/co.../rancilio_lucy

Try the above. Does it look like that one?

Comment

Originally posted by tempestv8 link=1176692682/0#2 date=1176693693
              Hi JavaB,

No its not the two separate units with the stainless shelf and two side by side drawers.

This Rancilio unit was both a grinder and an espresso machine combined as one, i.e. the sheet metal enclosed both together, so its not even like a siamese twin, where theres two distinct parts joined together but a single unit with two functional areas.

Kinda hard to describe and Essential Ingredient do not allow photography inside their shop.

Maybe a chinese "knock off"....

I cant find any details anywhere (on official sites that is) of such a machine either......

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G link=1176692682/0#5 date=1176694113
                http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/co.../rancilio_lucy

Try the above. Does it look like that one?
                Ahhhh.... maybe thats why I couldnt find it .... its a lucy rather than silvia :

Comment

No its real. But I would never like to have a grinder and machine in one. The heat from the machine will adversely effect the grinder and coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1176692682/0#8 date=1176694766
                    No its real. But I would never like to have a grinder and machine in one. The heat from the machine will adversely effect the grinder and coffee.
                    Yes, Id agree there Wushoes. The "combined" unit on the base is fine..... but built into the same case heating of the beans is a big problem.... plus if one half fails the whole unit is out of action until repaired.....

Might save some bench space.... but I dont believe it is worth it.

Comment

Ive got an all in one case machine and never had a problem as I only put beans in as I used them. a 200g hopper makes sure of that. Id also suggest that even if you have them seperately, then if one fails the whole lot is out of action. I cant make espresso without my grinder, and I dont grind if theres no machine to use it in, so I think this is a bit of a moot point.

Yes, if the machine had issues you could still do french press, moka pot, etc, but its just not the same & I know that personally, I wont bother.

Comment

Ive had a look at the picture, and YES, that is it.

Looks like Ive met Miss Sylvias older sister, Miss Lucy!  

Comment

Heres a URL that Ive found which has the Silvia side by side with the Lucy

mod edit- non sponsor url removed- your Silvia selling sponsors can supply this machine

Comment

Oh, cute. It even has a built in tamper... :

Comment

Built in tampers are good if you do a mid tamp...otherwise theyre absolutely useless.

Comment

Working...
                              X