Temerature Surfing - Rancilio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temerature Surfing - Rancilio

Going back a bit - I have just bought a Jaycar digital thermometer.  
    I want to check out the temperature envelope on silvia.  I have clipped the sensor end to the prv casing with a home made spring clip (like a small bicycle trouser clip).  I have seen a thread about this but it was in January and I cant find it on the site.  If someone has a sensor fitted or could advise the best way to fit the sensor I would be grateful.  
    Sorry to revisit a discussion but I have just reached this point in my coffee "science"!

Dumiya
    (david)

Re: Temerature Surfing - Rancilio

David, where the thermocouple is placed is pretty much immaterial because the temperature is only a reference point, not actual brew temperature.

The most useful place for the t/c is under the head of one of the bolts which hold down the thermostats, on top of the boiler. But make sure this does not lift the bracket holding down the thermostat.

A reading of 108º -110ºC here will equate to 93º at the group.

I dont know what the differential is between the valve body and group, so that location might not be useful to you.

-Robusto

Comment

Robusto

Thank you.
      The PRV is definitely the wrong place to put the TC as the Y junction seems to be the cold water input as well so the reading were crazy!

David

Comment

I agree with robusto about placement under one of the brew stat screws (I prefer far left).

Is your digital thermometer the type that reads input from a thermocouple? What kind of a probe did it come with?

A bead-type K probe is very common (typically has some yellow in the wire jacket or the miniplug connector). Usually you can "squish" the bead on these, making it flat enough to clamp below the retaining screw for the existing brew tstat. (Like robusto said, though, make sure the brew tstat stays in tight contact with the boiler).

If this doesnt look like it will work, but you can confirm that your thermometer can read a K (or T) probe, send me a PM. Ive got a bunch of t/c wire here and could make up a probe for you in no time.

Be very careful here - you are on the same slippery slope that led many of us to add electronic temperature control to our already adequate machine

Jim

Comment

Re: Temperature Surfing - Rancilio

Originally posted by PIDKits link=1177056449/0#3 date=1177254746
          I agree with robusto about placement under one of the brew stat screws (I prefer far left).

Is your digital thermometer the type that reads input from a thermocouple?  What kind of a probe did it come with?

A bead-type K probe is very common (typically has some yellow in the wire jacket or the miniplug connector).  Usually you can "squish" the bead on these, making it flat enough to clamp below the retaining screw for the existing brew tstat.  (Like robusto said, though, make sure the brew tstat stays in tight contact with the boiler).

If this doesnt look like it will work, but you can confirm that your thermometer can read a K (or T) probe, send me a PM.  Ive got a bunch of t/c wire  here and could make up a probe for you in no time.

Be very careful here - you are on the same slippery slope that led many of us to add electronic temperature control to our already adequate machine  

Jim
          Yep 2 kits later and Im still fascinated- havent stopped yet either!
          Brett

Comment

Jim and Robusto
            Thank you for your wisdom.  I will have look again and see what I feel confident doing and what Jim could do - if I have a panic attack.  The Thermo came with a K type bead TC.  The thought squishing the bead is frightening.  There may be a squished part available as Jim has said.
            I presume the next correct step would be to contact Jim directly.
            Greg Pullmans recent review of Sylvia and Em6900 has given me great admiration for my dear (old) Sylvia.
            I want to do the best for her.  
            I also will take to heart the timely warning of the slippery slide to perfection.

David

Comment

Working...
            X