Botticelli question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Botticelli question

Does the Botticelli have a thermosyphon grouphead, the brochures suggest it is the same as the Raffaello which is thermosyphon and has progressive infusion. Have I got this wrong, perhaps someone, maybe 2muchcoffeeman, can elaborate.

Re: Botticelli question

The Bott has the head of a Raffaello, but it is attached directly to the base of the boiler for heating. It doesnt have preinfusion- thats very much an hx thing, unless achieved electronically in something like the Sunbeam 6910.
    With the boiler and head design it makes a fantastic PID machine.
    Brett

Comment

Originally posted by telemaster link=1178611293/0#1 date=1178617535
      The Bott has the head of a Raffaello, but it is attached directly to the base of the boiler for heating. It doesnt have preinfusion- thats very much an hx thing, unless achieved electronically in something like the Sunbeam 6910.
      With the boiler and head design it makes a fantastic PID machine.
      Brett
      Got it in one! [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]...Unfortunately though, the discussion is all but irrelevant in Australia as the Bott is unavailable until such time as Italy come to their senses....They have demanded minimum orders of 1000 units...Its a shame because its a good machine, but 1000 units is ridiculous for our market...

Comment

Sounds like it is irrelevant if its NLA. Pity as I was considering it as a candidate for a future upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by vicroamer link=1178611293/0#3 date=1178625727
          Sounds like it is irrelevant if its NLA. Pity as I was considering it as a candidate for a future upgrade.

Perhaps this one? Pricey but imagine a 1.5L e-61 based Silvia/Bott and youre sorta there....

Comment

The boiler Domobar looks good with its E61, it would be interesting to read a review but I havent found much on the web to date, not even Vibiemmes home page carries any info. Site sponsors dont sell it, but maybe if Botts cant be got, a site sponsor might check it out and consider selling it as a silvia alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by vicroamer link=1178611293/0#5 date=1178656988
              The boiler Domobar looks good with its E61, it would be interesting to read a review but I havent found much on the web to date, not even Vibiemmes home page carries any info. Site sponsors dont sell it, but maybe if Botts cant be got, a site sponsor might check it out and consider selling it as a silvia alternative.
              That will change in the short term.....The levetta will not be cheap though at circa $1300....

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1178611293/0#6 date=1178660555
                That will change in the short term.....The levetta will not be cheap though at circa $1300....
                Ive heard they are a bit tricky because theres not thermosyphon heating of the head, so flushing is required for heating. Am I right in remembering that theyre supposed to be an espresso freaks dream machine? An awful lot of machine for $1300 considering a Bott is about $990, but will it do the job better (considering preinfusion must be balanced against what may be trickier temperature)?
                Any thoughts, Chris?
                Brett

Comment

Not sure at this stage Brett until I get the opportunity to have a play....Stay tuned....

Comment

I was considering upgrading to a Bott, it seemed to me to be a glorified Gaggia Classic - a few extras but that was what I thought.

If you have a decent grinder already and your budget is about $1000, go for a silvia or if you need a grinder go for a gaggia classic and Iberital challenge/MDF grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1178611293/0#9 date=1178679540
                      I was considering upgrading to a Bott, it seemed to me to be a glorified Gaggia Classic - a few extras but that was what I thought.

If you have a decent grinder already and your budget is about $1000, go for a silvia or if you need a grinder go for a gaggia classic and Iberital challenge/MDF grinder.
                      A bit more than a Gaggia with a boiler that lasts- copper nickel plated- 400ml, easily adjusted over pressure valve (although already adjusted to about 10 bars), massive grouphead.
                      Id recommend it but not talk anyone into any machine- go and play with a machine at a sponsors
                      Brett

Comment

From the Vibiemme homepage: Weight: 17 kg, boiler 0.75 l, heating element 1400W @ 230V, 1.7 l tank. Available with either black painted panel (nero model) or fully stainless steel. The Domobar nero model sells here for about $1000. The stainless for quite a bit more.

Aditional info (from my own research when I was about to buy this machine). It has an adjustable thermostat with a tight dead band. It has adjustable brew pressure, with a pressure gauge to make sure youve got it right. The drip tray us huge, which is great. It is a thermosyphon group head, but does not use the same E61 design that most other machines use. The group will probably require a small heating flush (compared to a cooling flush for some HX designs). The transition to steam is supposed to take no more than 2 min, but probably less with the larger heating element.

Id love to see a site sponsor stocking this machine, and Id love to hear more details on how it actually performs.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Does sound like a good machine indeed..but an extra $300 can get you a basic HX machine yeh?

Comment

Originally posted by marcstolk link=1178611293/0#12 date=1178768209
                            Does sound like a good machine indeed..but an extra $300 can get you a basic HX machine yeh?
                            Correct you are Marc....I guess if you were an espresso drinker with an occasional need for a milky coffee and a touch short of bench space, you might consider this route. It certainly looks great in the flesh....Time will tell I guess....

Comment

Do consider the Isomac Venus as this is very much like the Botti. I like the Isomac better. It makes unbelievable coffee. Friend of mine has one. I suggested him the machine and went and got it from a site sponsor (Di Bartoli). About the same price as the Botti. Looks nice too.

Comment

Working...
                              X