Sylvia TC Testing and Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvia TC Testing and Info

I have to thank Jim from PID Kits for being so encouraging and helpful.
    I am looking for a good place to fit my new TC.  I notice that a little further around the top of the boiler there is a deep sealed well and a 3mm tapped hole. (picture attatched)  This seems a good place to fit the TC  (in picture)  I am using my old TC here.

My huge question is there any picture of a vertical cross section of a Sylvia boiler.  I want to know if there are any baffles inside,  the position of the heating element (I suspect low down), and what this deep well might be for.  The cold water appears to come in from the top so it does not affect the hot water to the group immediately but does affect the thermostate and the TC.  I watch it go down butknow the water is still hot.

The TC.  Where does the TC get the temp information.  Is it at the tip or in the initial wires?

I am actually enjoying all this
    I am not sure the jpg is in! It is not in the preview
    David

Re: Sylvia TC Testing and Info

Dumiya -

There are some cross sections of the Silvias boiler floating around the internet, but I dont immediately recall where. Suggest doing a search on www.home-barista.com. I think Eric Svendson may have posted this on more than one occasion??

Many PID installations place the t/c sensor under, or very near, the brew thermostat. So if you are looking to be able to compare readings, that would probably be a good choice of locations. The t/c I sent you can probably be wedged below the retainer bracket (and screw) for the brew stat.

The way t/cs work is by generating a tiny voltage that is (nearly) proportional to the *difference* between the temperatures at the ends of the wires. So effectively you are reading the temperature at the location where the two wires make electrical contact at the "hot" end of the t/c. For most situations, the variation of temperature along the wire does not matter - only the temperatures at the ends.

Jim

Comment

Working...
    X