Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic v Rancilio Silvia

Hi everyone.

Just wanted your opinions on these 2 machines, and how they compare with each other. I cant quite afford an ecm giotto yet, so I thought the price range of these machines would suit me. Then in a year or 2 go for a giotto.

Re: Gaggia Classic v Rancilio Silvia

SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA SILVIA

depends on budget of course, I had a classic on order but got the we are out of stock email so cancelled order, glad I went Silvia, so pretty sitting there glimering in her very shiny self.
    But seriously look at things like how many you will make at a time, how important is steaming, will you need to pull a few shots at a time.
    Id imagine and everyone will correct me if Im wrong, lower number go classic, higher number go Silvia.
    Both machines have their idiosyncracies and quirks, if like me you scourer the internet for reviews and answers youll drive yourself nuts, which was easy for me as Ive already lost plot years ago.
    But, as a new Silvia owner (not yet 24hours) Id recommend Silvia.
    BUT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD GRINDER FIRST!!!!!
    (I have a Sunbeam EM0480 thats 2-3 weeks old hehehe going on evil bay soon)
    There a lot of owners of both machines here so Im sure youll get a good response.
    Good luck

Steve

Comment

Have you got a good grinder or are you planning to buy one too, if so dont forget to budget that in aswell and yes get the silvia

Comment

I am going to upgrade my grinder to a rocky doserless.

Thanks for the feedback.

*edit* Mainly used for milk based drinks, with the odd short black here and there.
        Will only be used for my wife and I.

Comment

Originally posted by scottc link=1179021029/0#3 date=1179021936
          I am going to upgrade my grinder to a rocky doserless.

Thanks for the feedback.

*edit* Mainly used for milk based drinks, with the odd short black here and there.
          Will only be used for my wife and I.
          perfect time to plug a sponsor, many offer a dicounted price if you get Silvia and Rocky Combo,
          *sponsors insert pm to this guy here*

Comment

I recommend doser version.
            More versatile.
            Less mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1179021029/0#5 date=1179024295
              More versatile.
              Sorry TG- I cannot agree with you on the Rocky doser grinder...I dont like the doser at all. Its plasticy, the drop cannot be adjusted and is too small for Aussie coffees (generally larger than Euro) and in addition, the vanes do not wipe clean at all. This is a really messy dosing chamber and is a  [smiley=thumbdown.gif] as far as Im concerned...

The doserless version is a much better grinder...

2mcm

Comment

Ill defer to your expertise.

Comment

im very happy with the Rocky doserless, TG and Chris... i use a (ex-yoghurt container) collar on the PF and have taken the PF support-bracket off the grinder; i thus can hold the collar directly under the Rockys spout so i can dose straight into the PF without throwing grinds about.

tapping PF, taking the collar off, levelling off (if necessary)and tamping then happens at the sink and in the limited space here in the bus this set-up works a (mess-free) treat.

L

Comment

I wonder if I can attach a doser to Rocky? (No Renzo I promise I wont modify till after warranty!)
                    But use a different brand that is a capable doser,
                    I just cant help myself, its so difficult to have a new toy and having promise Mistress of Finance and Renzo & Ofra that I wouldnt modify it (
                    Although the em0480 is still in the garage......

Scott on a serious note, Ive been doing a lot of milk drinks today and I cant speak highly enough of Silvias steaming capability, I tried standing up and saying this but it made it really hard to type. And Rocky has been performing flawlessly also, grind tap settle grind tap settle tamp, a little mess but so am I. Nothing the dustbuster cant handle..

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1179021029/0#6 date=1179024802
                      Originally posted by Thundergod link=1179021029/0#5 date=1179024295
                      More versatile.
                      Sorry TG- I cannot agree with you on the Rocky doser grinder...I dont like the doser at all. Its plasticy, the drop cannot be adjusted and is too small for Aussie coffees (generally larger than Euro) and in addition, the vanes do not wipe clean at all. This is a really messy dosing chamber and is a  [smiley=thumbdown.gif] as far as Im concerned...

The doserless version is a much better grinder...

2mcm
                      sound like something I could modify muahahahaha

Comment

Thanks sullo.

What about the steaming capabilities of the Classic?

I should go and see one in action.

Scott.

Comment

somehting to do with the boiler size there thing the Silvia is almost twice that of classic but someone else could probably answer that one.
                          Made three coffees this morning and Silvias boiler did up a full jug without missing a beat, also the frothy enhancer on the classic is something you pull off, there a bit of info on here where some owners replace the small spout off the classic with the Silvia one as classics is shorter.

Comment

Yeh, the Gaggia Boiler is way too small ...

Comment

Ah, now we are getting down to the nuts and bolts.

I know specs are not everything, but you cant beat first hand info.

So the steaming is good on the Silvia?

Comment

Working...
                              X