Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia PID fitting service

Hi all,

After some discussions with Jim, We are looking at ways to have at least one sponsor offer CSers brand new Silvias with PID, ready to switch on and go...The bonus is full warranty support for both machine an PID as well as somebody to spend the couple of hours doing the job for those not keen to do it...

We are just hoping to gauge interest at this stage...Would you want one?

Chris

Re: EOI- New Silvias with PID

Interesting idea Chris.

Im sure there are a few members that would love a PIDd Silvia but are worried about tinkering. Keeping the whole package under a single warranty is an added bonus.

I look forward to seeing what you and Jim come up with and the reaction from the members.

Nice.

Comment

Hi Chris

Ive been thinking about that sort of set-up so Id certainly be interested in hearing more.

Ben

Comment

Me too Chris..... Id like an idea of cost please........ Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray C link=1179274773/0#3 date=1179281724
          Me too Chris..... Id like an idea of cost please........    Ray.
          Thanks for the interest Ray. Its early days and PID Silvias are at least a few weeks off yet. All will be revealed soon....

Chris

Comment

Id also might be interested Chris. Ive been toying with the idea of a PID Silvia for a while now.

Ramon

Comment

Id certainly be interested, but Id prefer to buy from a Sydney-based sponsor in case of needing to return for repair.

Comment

did someone say modified Silvia?
                INTERESTED

Comment

Originally posted by aaarrrnnn link=1179274773/0#6 date=1179319155
                  Id certainly be interested, but Id prefer to buy from a Sydney-based sponsor in case of needing to return for repair.

This also makes logical sense to me, aaarrrnnn....

We are working on just that idea...

I would estimate that we are approximately a month away from product ready for sale....Will be 8-) to get this happening for Aussie CSers though if everything works out....

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I think that PIDding a silvia is a great idea if you already have one and want to get some more performance out of it. However, the grouphead offset from the boiler doesnt strike me as the best design for a PIDded machine. If you look at the LM, Synesso, Dalla Corte and La Spaziale multiple boiler machines, all of them have either a boiler sitting directly above the group for temperature stability or a very large group saturated with boiler water ... which amounts to a very similar effect. So if youre going to sell a PIDded single boiler machine, it makes a lot more sense to me to PID the ECM botticelli or the Isomac Venus, which both have the boilers above the group.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1179274773/0#9 date=1179365443
                      Hi Chris,

I think that PIDding a silvia is a great idea if you already have one and want to get some more performance out of it.  However, the grouphead offset from the boiler doesnt strike me as the best design for a PIDded machine.  If you look at the LM, Synesso, Dalla Corte and La Spaziale multiple boiler machines, all of them have either a boiler sitting directly above the group for temperature stability or a very large group saturated with boiler water ... which amounts to a very similar effect.  So if youre going to sell a PIDded single boiler machine, it makes a lot more sense to me to PID the ECM botticelli or the Isomac Venus, which both have the boilers above the group.

Cheers,

Luca
                      Yes Luca- I can see where youre coming from here...however, people can and do PID the Silvia, and for good reason- It works. In addition, those who have one, are generally thrilled with the result and have little problem justifying the expense...

The machines mentioned are all significantly or substantially more expensive and many are well out of the realm of possibility for the majority of CSers. So Is a PIDd Silvia the best espresso machine in the world??...Nope.

That machine I would argue is yet to be built or is a different beast to each user anyway- What you like may not suit me.

Given that this is an expression of interest thread to see whether this endeavour is worthwhile/viable, can we keep it on topic? Debates regarding the relative merits could be better served with their own thread in the machines section? It will also assist me to keep those interested in the loop....

Chris

Comment

I think the PIDed Silvias are a great idea- PIDing any good single boiler- Ive had great success with the Botticelli and Quaha. I think this option is a great alternative for a lot of people. A heat exchanger is not necessary for most people. Had I not been given the Bezzera, and already had the Bott with PID, I certainly wouldnt look at an hx. The results are that good.
                        I guess Im assuming similar results for the Silvia as the Bott- back to setpoint by the time you grind for the next espresso.
                        Brett

Comment

To update those who have expressed interest, we will PID our first Silvia in the next couple of weeks.

This unit will be for sale brand new for the shipped cost of the PID and Silvia, but no fitting fee.

Once this unit is complete and we have an idea of time taken, the plan is to offer members the opportunity to purchase the PID of their choice directly from Jim and then we will supply a fitting service for Silvias purchased from Talk Coffee...

12 month parts and labour warranty will be included.

Exciting times!

Chris

Comment

Chris, is this offer only intended for new Silvia purchases or will you offer something for those of us that already have one, possibly not purchased from Talk Coffee?

Comment

Originally posted by hazchem link=1179274773/0#13 date=1179878943
                              Chris, is this offer only intended for new Silvia purchases or will you offer something for those of us that already have one, possibly not purchased from Talk Coffee?
                              Hi HC.....I have to think about older Silvias :-/. An older machine is somewhat of an unknown quantity and this could have an influence on performance. In addidtion, there would be issues with warranty if in existence on the older Silvia....

If we assume 2 hours labour + shipping to and from us, it may make the exercise somewhat prohibitive and it may make the purchase of a newie pretty much $$$ neutral....

regards

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X