X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Silvia

Hello,

Ive tried searching but cannot see an answer to my question:

Has the Silvia changed at all over the past say 1 or 2 years? On a google I notice some sites mention "2007 model" is it any different to say a 2006 or 2005 variety?

Reason being, is I can buy a 1 year old one that has been really looked after for around the $500 mark or a new one for around $700, Im trying to decide which way to go.

Which way do you suggest I go? and have there been any changes over the years?

Cheers!!

Re: Buying a Silvia

Originally posted by Blaqjaq link=1179900808/0#0 date=1179900808
    Hello,

Ive tried searching but cannot see an answer to my question:

Has the Silvia changed at all over the past say 1 or 2 years? On a google I notice some sites mention "2007 model" is it any different to say a 2006 or 2005 variety?

Reason being, is I can buy a 1 year old one that has been really looked after for around the $500 mark or a new one for around $700, Im trying to decide which way to go.

Which way do you suggest I go? and have there been any changes over the years?

Cheers!!
    Hi Blaq,

There have been 2 rounds of changes. Early Silvias shipped at circa 12.5bar pump pressure. This was rectified a few years ago. the 07 model has a revised drip tra cover and a chrome plated surround around the group. Other than these cosmetic differences, the machine is identical...

regards
    2mcm

Comment

Thanks for that!

Ok so scenario is:
      12/18 month old 15 bar machine, serviced regularly and only just been serviced again (2 weeks ag0). $500 including the 2 drawer s/s stand.

or brand new 2007 model, 12 month warranty, no accessories for say $650-$700 depending on haggling.

Obviously a $200 saving plus getting the drawers would be nice. But is the drawback of it not being brand new with warranty issue enough to get a new one?

Which one would you go for?

Comment

Blaqjaq:

Thats a pretty individual decision depending on your situation and needs. If it was me Id take the second hand one (thats how I got mine and have been happy with it), cos if looked after, either will go well beyond the warranty period, apart from manufacturing fault breakages which would have happened by now if they were going to. Less than two years old means its unlikely to be much different from new cosmetically. The drawers are a good bonus if you want them and like the look, and youll have some change to get any extra accessories you want (jug, thermometer, blind filter, knock box, tamper, etc etc etc, if these arent included)

Of course if the brand new in box factor is important to you, everything sealed and dry and looking just fancy, especially with the updated cosmetics, then a new one is the way to go. I prefer the look of the new model and given its visually different itll probably have a better resale value than the older model units. But I dont think youd be considering a secondhand one if the BNIB factor was a high priority to you. It also means accessories come on top of the new purchase price.

Just like good grinders, good machines will last basically forever provided theyre looked after and spares are available, which they are for the Silvia.

Just my 2c.
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Blaqjaq link=1179900808/0#2 date=1179911613
          Thanks for that!

Ok so scenario is:
          12/18 month old 15 bar machine, serviced regularly and only just been serviced again (2 weeks ag0). $500 including the 2 drawer s/s stand.

or brand new 2007 model, 12 month warranty, no accessories for say $650-$700 depending on haggling.

Obviously a $200 saving plus getting the drawers would be nice. But is the drawback of it not being brand new with warranty issue enough to get a new one?

Which one would you go for?

Blaq,

Theyre all great. Even an old machine can be modified to run at 9 bar. Pedro (Coffeeparts) has kits...Your buddy should sell his machine here. Hell get $500 + extra for the draw....

As for a newie at $650, I can only quote that famous Aussie film..."Tell him hes dreamin". Any dealer who sells a machine with inadequate margin to even cover freight on a warranty return will not be in business for too long....

Caveat emptor...Ya gets what ya pays for

Comment

Thanks for your help. The way im looking at it at the moment is if I can pick it up for $500 for a used one with the drawers I will always get my money back on it when the upgrade bug bites again.

Whereas a new one I will drop at least $150-$200 plus the value of the drawers.

So thanks for your help, I will endeavour to work the guy and get it for $500 and go from there!!! All things being equal ill be drinking decent espresso in no time!

Any more advice, please shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaqjaq link=1179900808/0#5 date=1179916995
              Thanks for your help. The way im looking at it at the moment is if I can pick it up for $500 for a used one with the drawers I will always get my money back on it when the upgrade bug bites again.

Whereas a new one I will drop at least $150-$200 plus the value of the drawers.

So thanks for your help, I will endeavour to work the guy and get it for $500 and go from there!!! All things being equal ill be drinking decent espresso in no time!

Any more advice, please shoot!
              You asked for it- a PID from www.pidkits.com and you may never need to upgrade
              Brett

Comment

Working...
              X