Solis SL70 - too quick to bag it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solis SL70 - too quick to bag it

Just a short note to say I bagged the Solis SL70 some months ago....too soon.
    Even with the Solis Grinder this machine rocks and For $500 plus the grinder, I cant say enough good things about it.
    With the grind set at 4 out of 10, a very firm second tamp, it makes a short black with a full 5 - 6mm of crema with the standard basket.
    Long blacks have great taste and thick crema (although sometimes a few small bubbles but I can get over that).
    Milk......a 300ml jug produces silky milk, and enough for 2 lattes with 10-12mm foam on top....I reckon thats not too shabby from a little domestic machine, and the milk is truely silky.
    Ok...I am a convert, and after bagging it so much I was compelled to set the record straight
    ;D

Re: Solis SL70 - too quick to bag it

Originally posted by Gregzeee link=1179989327/0#0 date=1179989327
    Just a short note to say I bagged the Solis SL70 some months ago....too soon.
    Even with the Solis Grinder this machine rocks and For $500 plus the grinder, I cant say enough good things about it.
    With the grind set at 4 out of 10, a very firm second tamp, it makes a short black with a full 5 - 6mm of crema with the standard basket.
    Long blacks have great taste and thick crema (although sometimes a few small bubbles but I can get over that).
    Milk......a 300ml jug produces silky milk, and enough for 2 lattes with 10-12mm foam on top....I reckon thats not too shabby from a little domestic machine, and the milk is truely silky.
    Ok...I am a convert, and after bagging it so much I was compelled to set the record straight
    ;D
    Dont stress too much about it- many of us have been guilty of similar things- we blame the gear and not our understanding or technique. I think it is often the cause of our upgraditis, not poor equipment. I think most gear allows us room for improvement in our technique. How often do you hear about or see people with quite expensive machines making the worst coffee and saying the opposite.

Interesting case in point, a young friend recently told me about a friend of hers with a new Silvia and Gaggia MDF making coffee by putting 2 teaspoons of ground beans into the portafilter and locking it in- no tamping.
    Certainly a case for upgraditis- now wouldnt that technique lead to much better coffee if performed on an ECM Giotto?

If the Solis is based on a Via Venezia (as it appears) you certainly can produce a nice coffee- I can when using the non pressurised handle on my sons one
    All the best

Brett

Comment

Working...
    X