Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuova Simonelli Oscar

HI Everyone,
    Im a Brandnew member and also a coffee novice (altho have been watching CoffeeSnobs for a long time and think it is the best coffee site on the Web)so at the outset must ask for your patience and forbearance. My old Krups died recently and I was going to buy a Silvia but then noticed the Oscar and that quite a few members had one. What I would like to know is whether anyone has had any problems with the Oscar as not many Traders seem to sell them at least in Sydney. Looking at the specifications the Oscar seems to be by far the best value for money above the Silvia and below the $2000 mark (apart from the plastic outside) - it is a HX machine with a large boiler etc.
    Some time ago (in fact quite some time ) apparently the Oscar could be bought for $1000 but not any more I guess . Anyway I would greatly appreciate any information re the machine and also whether anyone knows of a reputable supplier and servicer in Sydney. Of course a second hand Oscar would be great but I havent been able to find one.

Ragards and thanks,

hotdog

Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar

Veneziano in Melbourne has them. Youd get good service if anything ever went wrong....maybe even from a Sydney based service centre. Juts an option if you cant find anything in Sydney.

Comment

Thanks Wushoes -Ill bring up Veneziano on the Web and see what theyve got to say

Comment

hmmm they dont have it advertised on their website. But I do know for sure they have a few Oscars sitting in boxes in their training room...best give em a call....or have a chat to Luca on this website....Im sure hell chime in soon.

Comment

thats good to know - I have just sent them an email so will let you know the outcome -thanks again

Comment

Hi guys,

Wushoes, thanks for pointing out that we have the Oscar. Unfortunately our webpage is pretty abyssmal at the moment. We have a new one in the works that it much spiffier, but that wont be up and running for at least a few weeks.

Hotdog, the NS Oscar is a rather unique machine ... it delivers a lot for the price point, but certainly has a few drawbacks in comparison with the $2k+ machines. Unfortunately, thinks like wattages and boiler sizes really are not good indicators of what you get in the cup, so I hope that youll give me a call so that I can talk you through it.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

thanks Luca - got your message and will call you tomorrow so as not to disturb your Sunday evening.Unfortunately my budget doesnt run to the $2k+ machines or I would surely be gazing right now at a Giotto so Im trying to go beyond the Silvia but not too far ,which seemed to put the Oscar within reach
              Regards
              hotdog

Comment

Gday hotdog,

Have you noticed the very desirable refurbished Bo-ema 1-Group machine in the 4-Sale Category above? Might be worth your looking at as a fully commercial machine for a domestic machine price-point?

Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal,

Yes I saw that machine and had a similar thought - great minds thinking alike ! The only thing is it appears to need to be plumbed in - is that a big deal especially for a beginner ? otherwise it could be as you say. Incidentally thought I noticed among some past posts that you had an Oscar at one time or was I dreaming? Anyway thanks for the kind thought and I have just asked Phil if the Bo-ema does need plumbing
                  Regards
                  hotdog

Comment

hotdog,

Yep the Bo-ema (being a commercial coffee machine) does need to be plumbed in - ideally water from the mains via the filters and the drain connected to the household drain (thats how my 2 group is installed)....

But

Some people run the drain into a bucket in the cupboard under the machine..... solves the drainage connection...... and with some machines the pump can draw water from a reservoir rather than the mains (not sure about the pump in Phils).

That way you need minimum plumbing - just got to remember to fill the reservoir occasionally.... and empty the drain bucket of course :

Comment

Thanks JavaB.
                      The bucket under the sink for the drainage sounds good (it can join the others ) but if the pump wont work from a reservoir looks like a mates rates job for a slab of beer. Waiting to hear from Phil
                      regards
                      hotdog

Comment

Originally posted by hotdog link=1180238423/0#10 date=1180334998
                        but if the pump wont work from a reservoir looks like a mates rates job for a slab of beer.
                        ;D ;D ;D

If it is a procon pump (and most are) it will happily draw from a reservoir. There are a few (like the one in my La Cimbali) which need positive supply pressure - but these are the minority.

The odds are you will be able to save that slab

Comment

Well JavaB well just share the slab between us
                          regards

hotdog

Comment

Originally posted by hotdog link=1180238423/0#8 date=1180332091
                            Incidentally thought I noticed among some past posts that you had an Oscar at one time or was I dreaming?
                            Hi again hotdog,

Ive never owned an Oscar myself but a friend had/has one (relocated overseas long ago) and it performed excellently. His was in a black finish so didnt look too bad on the benchtop with similarly coloured devices..... I guess you realise that they are clad in an ABS plastic panelling? Some people reckon this is a detracting issue but I didnt think it looked out of place at my mates place so as with everything, it comes down to horses for courses.

From memory he paid less than the magic $1,000 but that was a few years ago now. Notwithstanding the ABS cladding, it is a true HX machine of very high quality build and of commercial quality hardware. Considering the current price of a new one today though, there may well be equally high quality machines available from our sponsors with a much higher level of service and support, and thats a big thing to consider as the Oscar doesnt seem to be all that well supported but that may well be my misinformed understanding.

Going back to the Bo-Ema though, they are a really well built machine made entirely from high quality commercial hardware right here in Oz so service and support is of a very high level. Havent heard of anything bad said about Bo-Ema support, etc in fact its all been good so you wouldnt be left out in a lurch should you decide to go that way. Anyway, its probably better for you to do your own homework about these sorts of matters and be absolutely satisfied that this is the machine for you. Dont really want to talk you into anything. Happy hunting,

Mal.

Comment

Hi Mal,
                              been down all week with the flu so couldnt reply earlier -thanks for your comments and ive since had a look at the Oscar in person. The ABS plastic cladding doesnt bother me as long as it makes good espresso but dunno about the rest of it as noone seems very enthusiastic about it and it doesnt seem to hold value. Still thinking.
                              Did I see in the Posts that youre restoring a Bezzera ?
                              What model ? I have only just come across the Bezzera and the BZ99s looks pretty good -there are some larger second hand 2Group Commercials for sale but I think they have 11litre boilers or something !!!
                              Regards,
                              hotdog

Comment

Working...
                              X