Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pidkit

Im about to order a PID from pidkits.com

Ive managed to convince the better half that its a good investment. The trick is to read up on the Giotto, mention the price, and say well its either this or a PID kit... then suddenly the PID is a great idea! So Im opting for the ultimate Series 96 with steam control... I think its better looking than the SD3C and while I think the steam temp. is probably a bit unnecessary, I think Ill probably get it anyway (remember, Im *not* getting a Giotto, so whatever I get is a bargain!)

Has anyone ordered the 96 and installed it? Was it an easy install? Am a bit nervous about it...

still, the reason I am actually posting is to find out if people have had to pay any taxes when it comes into the country - I searched for "customs" and didnt find anything but I order a lot of records from overseas and know that if I do an order above about $250 I have to pay tax when it comes into the country. I was hoping that people hadnt had any trouble with the pid kits...

Re: pidkit

Hi I installed the watlow 43 kit drama free. The results are very very good. I paid no extra duty- from memory the postage was under $30 US. Jim is very understanding and easy to deal with.
    Brett

Comment

According to the Australian customs website: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549, you can import stuff up to the value of $1000 duty and tax free (Dont know why you were charged on $250 worth of records, unless maybe you had multiple packages that added up to more than the $1000 limit?) So you should be fine with the PID kit - nothing extra to pay. Ive bought goods worth more than $250 and not had any problems - theyve been posted directly to my door (although not a PID kit).

Comment

I recently installed the SD3C with Steam Control last night for about 3 hours (I was watching Prison Break, OK).

Kit came complete. I printed the 45 page manual just so I could follow it page by page and make some notes.

I also took a pic for each part I took apart (better that I document it so I know how to pull it apart if needed).

I was thinking of sharing my experiences here but havent got the pics yet uploaded to a site for easier reference.

Personally, I recommend the pidkit to everyone who can afford it (and not afford the Giotto or Minore).

The Silvia is a good machine to start with. Even without PID , I already developed a good technique that helps me reproduce the same shot taste. What I do before was to wait till the brew light comes off, open the steam knob to release steam (to bring down temp), the pull the shot. This has worked wonders for the roasted beans Im using from one of those online sites.

Now with the PID, I can see the temp as it comes up, then pull the shot. Jim also provides you a graph of the recovery time between brewing shots plus steaming as well.

Aesthetically, the SD3C is quite nice. Its also an easier install compared to the 96. It comes pre-wired with the dual-SSR. I was having the same dilemma before, SD3C vs 96 both with Steam option.

From Jims reply:

The approach we have taken with these new SD3C kits for steam control is much simpler than with the 96 kits in that there is no additional wiring needed to cause the controller to change SV. Instead, we use the "alarm" function on the controller to activate the second control output when the PV rises above a certain temp (147C).

So to me, it sounded easier to install from a users perspective and much cheaper as well whilst getting the same result in the end.

This morning, I made my first cup with the PID (equipped my Silvia with a Digital electrical timer that turns on at a set time in the morning to make sure it has been warmed up).

The flow coming out of the portafilter is amazing and honey-like drip (ie., drops down, then pulls up a bit, then flows down again).

And you end up smiling once you taste what is in the cup!

Comment

Great post, dcaffeine8d
          The kits are easy to instal.
          Should we have a separate PID section? I really think they are worth promoting a a serious mid step between the Silvia, Botticelli thing and the $2000+ hx. They may also be all that most coffee aficionados will ever need.
          Brett

Comment

do these pidkits display in C and F or just F??

Comment

Apparently any sold outside US will be configured to C, but you can ask for either.

Re the SD3C vs the 96, I just preferred the square shape of the 96, it looked (to my eyes) less "tacked on" and a bit more solid than the SD3C... but yeah it will involve a bit more work with the steam switch and its more expensive with no actual "tasteable" benefit. It should still be an easy install though from what I hear so am happy with my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by beanmeupScotty link=1180448898/0#5 date=1180657852
                do these pidkits display in C and F or just F??
                With most makes of Controller, this is selectable during setup,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1180448898/0#7 date=1180679478
                  With most makes of Controller, this is selectable during setup..
                  True. Switching back and forth is usually pretty straightforward, even after initial setup. On some (mostly older) controllers, a few settings will be lost though. On others, any parameters that depend on the temperature scale are correctly converted.

WARNING - RANT TO FOLLOW ---

For reasons that are beyond my comprehension, some manufacturers choose to permanently print a C or F on the face of the controller. But then they also provide a means of selecting either C or F through software :-?. Fuji and Omron are guilty of this. For a business that sells internationally, this makes stocking Fuji or Omron controllers very unattractive.

---- END RANT ----

I feel better now . Thank you.

Jim

Comment

Yeah, I noticed this too Jim.... Almost as though Fahrenheit was an after-thought when they designed the face-plate. Most of the units Ive seen have had the C printed next to the display :-?

Mal.

Comment

Hi all

This arvo I have just installed the PID kit I got from pidkits. I got the Watlow SD3C. The install took a few hours but was very straightforward. I previously printed off a color copy of the install manual which was a PDF and this was very useful. The install manual is excellent, the kid was complete with everything I needed.

I had been contemplating buying my own PID and all the bits and had done a fair bit of research, including phoning companies and getting proces. But after seeing how complete this kit is I would advise anyone thinking of a PIDing a Silvia to just get the kid from Jim.

Tonight I did a nice peabery that I had roasted myself a week ago with my new Gene Cafe. The PID Silvia now just idles there at temperature. The temperature control is excellent. And the peaberry was excellent too.

Thanks to Jim of MLG Properties for such a nice kit.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X