New Rancilio or....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rancilio or....

Hi there, Im new to very good coffee at home, but Ive done a bit of research which suggests a Rancilio Silvia is the machine to buy. However..
    I want a long white coffee and so I want hot water. Can I get that from a Silvia?
    Ive put up with a basic Sunbeam machine, so Ive had to add water from a separate kettle.
    The other matter is my hand function which is limited (I have a disability) and Ive always had trouble in removing and emptyiing the filter after use. Im hoping that with the Silvia it may be easier?
    If either of these problems are with the Silvia, can any of you suggest a similar-quality machine that can froth milk well, ie make a good frothy cappucino?
    Thanks. Steve, Brisbane.

Re: New Rancilio or....

Hi Rumbleseat and welcome to CS.

The centre button on the Silvia will deliver hot water to top up your shot via the steam wand...

Hope this helps and good luck in your search

2mcm

Comment

Steve,

Hi and welcome to CoffeeSnobs.

The Silvia will indeed produce excellent coffee - and hot water as well.

But re removal and emptying the PF.... unfortunately because it has to contain a lot of pressure it must be fitted quite tightly..... which also makes removal hard. This is true for all machines with PFs (including my commercial).

The pucks will be drier than your existing machine - but will still need to be tapped out.

The only other solution would be a super automatic (like a Jura)- a lot more expensive and wont make coffee which tastes as good - but has no PF to fit, remove and empty.

Enjoy your journey into great coffee.

Comment

If your into white coffees and there is need to produce a number in quick succession then look at the EM6910 Sunbeam - look at the comparrison (detailed and fair) that Greg Pullman (tamper guru) did on this site - just search it out.

Cheers.

PS. Steam wand + seperate hot water.

Comment

If your into white coffees and there is need to produce a number in quick succession then look at the EM6910 Sunbeam - look at the comparrison (detailed and fair) that Greg Pullman (tamper guru) did on this site - just search it out.

Cheers.

PS. Steam wand + seperate hot water.
          ################
          Im keen to consider an EM6910 if it saves me some money! Can it do a good, frothy milk, ie as good as the Rancilio Silvia? Also, what is the difference between the EM6910 and the EM6900?
          Thanks, everyone.

Comment

If you like your coffee long then imho I prefer the taste of plunger over espresso with water added. dont get me wrong I love espresso but would drink a plunger brew over an espresso long black/white. You just need a grinder and some fresh beans.

Comment

I dont want to sound abrupt mate but the comparrison between these 2 clearly excellent true higher entry level machines has been done to death and culminated in the excellent review that I have mentioned.

Cheers

PS. Before Javaphile gets in....the search tool is your friend.

Comment

sorry - double post.

For the glossy version of the comparo that I mentioned..../www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/#pros-and-cons

Comment

I will add one thing to the review....the purging of the steam wand (only do it once per coffee making session for one or twenty coffees) for 45 seconds make a vast improvement to the steaming. Also practice makes a vast difference with the EM...Greg did not have the machine for long and having it for the long term and you get to understand how to extract the best from it, including the best way to dose the PF.

Comment

Steve,

Just one thing I forgot to mention...

Either machine mentioned above will require you to tamp quite hard on the coffee in the basket..... or you will get lousy tasting pours....

If this is going to present a problem to you (as well as loading unloading the PF)... have a serious thought about the french press /plunger suggestion. This can make long coffees every bit a good in flavour as the best espresso machines - and Im not joking - the taste is superb as long as you use freshly ground fresh beans..... and no loading. unloading tamping etc....

Both Mal and I use this method and it isnt inferior as a long coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1180771484/0#9 date=1180778331
                      Both Mal and I use this method and it isnt inferior as a long coffee.
                      [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Comment

I agree, JavaB...
                        back way when... oh, well, many years ago :P we only had plungers or drip-filters for our coffee.
                        sometimes they were used to produce normal coffee, but often we up-dosed with double or triple the normal dose of coffee, then divided the resulting super-strong coffee-extract over the cups, and filled them up with warm milk.
                        my grandma served it with a candied sugar "lump" ( like a big rough sugar-crystal) in the bottom of the cup, which disintegrated slowly while it dissolved... last mouthful of coffee came with a lot of rough sugar bits!!

it is an easy to make, minimal "hands-on" but great tasting coffee, Steve, particularly if you use fresh beans and grind just before brewing.
                        just remember to pour any extra extract off the spent grounds asap and store either in a small thermos for your next cup, or in the fridge for later use as iced coffee or such... if you leave the brew "sitting" on the grounds, it will turn very bitter very quickly!
                        this applies also to "normal strength" plunger coffee.

enjoy your coffee journey!

L

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie link=1180771484/0#11 date=1180786641
                          I agree, JavaB...
                          back way when... oh, well, many years ago :P we only had plungers or drip-filters for our coffee.
                          sometimes they were used to produce normal coffee, but often we up-dosed with double or triple the normal dose of coffee, then divided the resulting super-strong coffee-extract over the cups, and filled them up with warm milk.
                          my grandma served it with a candied sugar "lump" ( like a big rough sugar-crystal) in the bottom of the cup, which disintegrated slowly while it dissolved... last mouthful of coffee came with a lot of rough sugar bits!!
                          We must have had Grandmas from similar backgrounds Lizzie, my Grandma (or Oma, originally from Holland) used to do the exact same thing and I still do it myself from time to time.... makes a beautiful cup without doubt,

Mal.

Comment

We must have had Grandmas from similar backgrounds Lizzie, my Grandma (or Oma, originally from Holland) used to do the exact same thing and I still do it myself from time to time.... makes a beautiful cup without doubt,
                            yep... Dutch allright...
                            on the risk of going off-topic... did you pinch the sugar rocks out Omis sugar-pot too?? or sneak an extra few in your cup so you couldnt even stir the coffee properly ?? do you remember how the crystals snapped and crackled when they got dropped into the hot liquid??

yes, "extract-ing" make beautiful full flavoured coffee...extract is also easy to take with you on a trip/work/fishing, thermos of hot water or milk... oh, the memories!!

L
                            Too true Lizzie ;D
                            Mal.

Comment

Rumbleseat, you mentioned you have limited hand function. Perhaps, with whichever machine you get, you could look at replacing the Porta Filter (PF) handle with an adapted, longer one, this should give you extra leverage to lock/remove the PF. I know the Silvia PF comes apart - check http://www.coffeeparts.com/ran/ran4.html to see what I mean. Perhaps one of the EM6910 owners know if this could be done to the Sunbeam PF?

Comment

Working...
                              X