Problem after changing grouphead seal on Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem after changing grouphead seal on Silvia

So yesterday morning I had some time to spare, and though its about time I put the new GH seal in that Ive had for a while.

Seemed to go OK, old seal came out easy using the two screws method.
    Longest time was cleaning out the seal groove.
    Put new seal back in same way as the original.

Used PF to help seat the new seal, seemed OK.

Went to make a brew later that day and water leaks all down the PF.
    Same again this morning.
    Seal seems softer than before, as expected,
    but PF handle will go round a bit further than before to lock in.

If I put blind filter in the leak is right at the back of the GH assembly, and squirts straight onto the splashback.

Seem to remember that Greg Pullman had a similar problem with his Silvia,
    but cant remember the outcome

Later today, Sunday, the new seal doesnt seem as soft, but still leaks.
    I have performed thorough visual inspection with a torch and cant see anything obviously wrong.....

What should I be contemplating next?

Regards
    Bullitt

Re: Problem after changing grouphead seal on Silvi

I found the post the Greg Pullman started, and the comments about the 0.5 and 1.0mm spacers that can be bought.

Is it possible to retrofit a spacer with the gasket after the gasket has been fitted, and if so, how does one get the gasket out without wrecking it?

Regards
    Bullitt

Comment

Seeing as Ive just changed the group seal on my Silvia, Ill add my problem to this thread instead of starting another one.

Having succeeded in changing the group seal ok (i think) and giving the whole area a damn good clean, Im having a serious problem in that when I try to make coffee, pretty much all of the water seems to be going straight out the 3 way valve and very little seems to be making it to the PF. I doubled the coarseness of my grind and backed off on the dose in a variety of combinations but still with the same result. Im using beans that just prior to the group seal change where perfectly fine, so I cant see how that would impact.

Might I have done something to a switch or valve or something by inverting the machine to change the group seal? Or is it something else entirely?

Not being able to make coffee makes me a sad panda!

Comment

http://www.coffeeparts.com/ran/ran4.html

maybe turn it off and re do everything youve done checking that parts are in the correct way, I dont have more then the above link to Silvias internals(Im sure someone here will)
        Only thing I can think of as Im not a Silvia tech just a devouted worshipper
        Hope you sort it soon, she dont like being not used

Comment

hazchem,

My guess is in the process of inverting the machine a bit of scale (or even a bit of metal swarf) has found its way into the three way valve and is preventing correct operation (the valve doesnt open/close properly).

Check out:

http://member.newsguy.com/~jenkins/silvia/

For details of removing and servicing the 3 way... that might be a good starting point.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks JavaB, Ill give that a try. Fixing this may take precedence over going to see a Hostel II preview tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt link=1180869084/0#1 date=1180869572
              I found the post the Greg Pullman started, and the comments about the 0.5 and 1.0mm spacers that can be bought.

Is it possible to retrofit a spacer with the gasket after the gasket has been fitted, and if so, how does one get the gasket out without wrecking it?

Regards
              Bullitt
              I used a thin flat-bladed screwdriver to remove mine rather than the two screws. Not as easy as the screws but non-destructive.

Comment

Gday Bullit,

Heres a link to an exploded view of the Silvia that may be of some little help,

Cheers mate,
                Mal.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Greg, I tried the thin flat blade screwdriver this morning but was obviously not determined enough.

I tried reducing the dose this afternoon, the tamper went further down,....(love those tamp rings BTW) by about 0.5mm I think, but still leaking, looks like I might need nearly 1mm spacer under the gasket.

Mal, thanks for the link, it is at least a "Silvia" diagram and not a generic Rancilio one as found somewhere else.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, just not sure how long the tunnel is at the moment.

Regards
                  Bullitt

Comment

JavaB, thanks again for the tip, but my drip tube looks a little different

and I cant get it off. As much as I want to fix it myself, I dont think I can be without coffee at home for another day. So its off to a cafe for breakfast then to put Miss Silvia in for a service.

Comment

After much difficulty I removed the new GH seal, and my verniers indicated it was about 0.5mm thinner than the old one, so that explained much of the problem.
                      Also, the seal was in upside down :-[

After cutting out a temporary 0.5mm spacer from cardboard I put it back in the correct way.

Went back to normal dosing, and there was slight leak, however was hopeful the gasket still needed some bedding in.

Next day there was no leak.

I have no idea how long the cardboard spacer will last, but long enough for me to get some proper spacers and a new spare GH gasket.

Bullitt

Comment

Working...
                      X