Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking in portafilter on Oscar

Howdy all,

Im growing increasingly frustrated with the difficulty in locking on the portafilter on my NS Oscar. The portafilter with a loaded double seems to not lock in very far at all. With the blind, seems to lock in a bit further. I am getting some leaks with the double, no problems with the blind. Locking the portafilter in is a strain. Have to hold the machine on the bench.

Have recently replaced group gasket.

I thought maybe if I took a bit of brass off the lugs maybe that would allow the portafilter to lock in a bit further and maybe smoother?

I have a Giotto also, so have something to compare to. The difference is that the Giotto feels very metal on metal, wheras the Giotto is a smoth lock in. Should they be similar? I desparately want the Oscar portafilter to lock in more like the Giotto. Possible?

Any advice appreciated. Tim

Re: Locking in portafilter on Oscar

Originally posted by TimO link=1182251807/0#0 date=1182251807
    I thought maybe if I took a bit of brass off the lugs maybe that would allow the portafilter to lock in a bit further and maybe smoother?
    This would be an extremely desperate measure in my view... Far better to contact Pedro at CoffeeParts and see if a slightly thinner Gasket can be obtained and maybe a couple of shims to pack behind the thinner Gasket in case you need to make any slight adjustments.

Originally posted by TimO link=1182251807/0#0 date=1182251807
    I have a Giotto also, so have something to compare to. The difference is that the Giotto feels very metal on metal, wheras the Giotto is a smoth lock in. Should they be similar? I desparately want the Oscar portafilter to lock in more like the Giotto. Possible?
    Im pretty sure by following advice from Pedro you will be able to get it close to spot-on. I guess one reason why the Oscar PF is a bit "rough" to lock-in is that the mating surfaces on the PF and the Group havent bedded in as yet and will probably improve over time. All the best mate,

Mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal. Sounds like sensible advice. I will give pedro a call.

The last group seal I put in was my last so I need to re-stock anyway.

Im also on a quest for an improved steam tip for the Oscar. Ive been down the route of a rebored 2 hole coffeeparts tip. Im hoping Pedro might be able to stear me toward something that is more like the Giotto 2 hole tip - particularly with regard to the direction of the ??stream?? (cant think of the right word) of steam.

Comment

Im posting this info for the reference of future Oscar users. I made the mistake of stuffing around with 3 different replacement seals before finally asking Pedro from Coffee Parts for advice.

The best seal is part number 700623 on the following page:
        http://www.coffeeparts.com/nuova-simonelli/nuova-simonelli-spare-parts-1.html

Just tried it out and works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
        X