Warming up Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming up Silvia

I recently installed one of Jims PID Kits and all is going well.  
    Previously, as part of my warming up Silvia technique I always ran hot water through the steam valve (then wait for boiler light to go off) and the grouphead (again, wait for light to go off, then begin reverse temperature surf).
    Of course, with a PID I can see clearly when the boiler temp is right (and theres no point waiting for the boiler light to go off, as it cycles on and off as the PID gradually edges towards the optimum temp), but Im wondering ... is it best still to continue my old practice of running hot water through the steam valve and grouphead first to warm everything up? Or is this now unnecessary?

Cheers.

Re: Warming up Silvia

Originally posted by adamj link=1183208173/0#0 date=1183208173
    I recently installed one of Jims PID Kits and all is going well.  
    Previously, as part of my warming up Silvia technique I always ran hot water through the steam valve (then wait for boiler light to go off) and the grouphead (again, wait for light to go off, then begin reverse temperature surf).
    Of course, with a PID I can see clearly when the boiler temp is right (and theres no point waiting for the boiler light to go off, as it cycles on and off as the PID gradually edges towards the optimum temp), but Im wondering ... is it best still to continue my old practice of running hot water through the steam valve and grouphead first to warm everything up? Or is this now unnecessary?

Cheers.
    You still need a warm grouphead, so unless youre waiting for the requisite 1/2 hour, yeppers....Enjoy the PID 8-)

Comment

I normally warm her up for 50 minutes or more, so maybe Ive been doing the hot water thing unnecessarily all along ... sort of like an old habit. :-)

Comment

Gday Adam,

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mate .

Mostly, PID controllers are setup to allow you to just walk up and pull a shot with the Brew Water already at the ideal temperature for a great shot, so theres no need to to any flushing prior. About the only time this might become necessary is when you have stretched a jug of milk and want to pull another couple of shots immediately after but in this case, its to cool things down so that the controller can regain equilibrium as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
        Mal.

Comment

Re: Warming up Silvia-  FLUSH

Ive got a PID on for 1yr now. Ive done my fair share of research and testing.yadda yadda..temps the whole nine yards.

Its a known fact. Your group and portafilter must be warmed up. If your leaving it on
          for 50 minutes with a pid. Then your probably fine. Even still i would at least do one
          pull and let it comeback to proper temps on pid. Then do your pull.

If your not letting it heatup and want a shot in like 20minutes. Then i suggest at least 2 pulls at intervals of roughly 7minutes.

You want consistency and results so stick to one method. You can play around with grind levels,tamps and BP for different results.

You will probably end up finding your best situation on your own.

cheers!!

ps. get a good digital temp.monitor and styrofoam cup..shove it under grouphead
          and do a test too see roughly what temps your getting. All helps no matter how to crude to determine your situation.

pss. where is your thermocouple mounted?..on top of boiler or near side?
          Do you have an RTD or a T type thermocouple?
          Ive read much about this and how it effects your temps.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

My PID is one of the kits from PIDKits.com .... so its a type T, SLE thermocouple and mounted on top of the boiler.

So using the styrofoam cup and digital thermometer ... whats the ideal "in cup" temperature you should be looking for?

Comment

Working...
            X