Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia - noisy pump

Hi
    Has anyone been successful in replacing their vibrating pump with a quieter model?
    Or been successful in muffling the sound from their pump, with a sound proof enclosure or similar device?
    Would be nice to make coffee in the morning without waking up the whole family.

Cheers
    Kan.

Re: Silvia - noisy pump

Hi Kan,

I havent heard of this being done by anyone,
    and what about the noise from the grinder, my Rocky is about as noisy as Silvia.

Well a rotary pump as used in commercial machines would be quieter,....
    but quite an expensive modification.

I likely a soundproof enclosure around the pump would help, provided there is also isolation mounts between the pump and the rest of the machine. There isnt a real lot of room to fit an enclosure around the pump which would limit its effectiveness, but something could be done.

Another option, depending on the design of the house, sometimes just closing a door or doors can make a big difference to noise level in other rooms in the house.

Regards
    Bullitt

Comment

Gday Kan,

Ive noticed when looking through the Bezzera BZ-02 Parts Manual, that they have a very simple and effective design for isolating the pump from the chassis. It could perhaps be adapted to suit the Silvia.... worth a look anyway,

Cheers,
      Mal.

P.S.
      You can download the entire Parts Manual from the Barazi website, listed on the left of the page. The page extracted from the manual below clearly illustrates the method used.

Comment

If you think the pump is noisy --- what about the screaming loud alarm clock called a grinder!

---Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1183536086/0#3 date=1183802837
          If you think the pump is noisy --- what about the screaming loud alarm clock called a grinder!
          My thoughts too Robusto ;D

Comment

Thanks Guys.
            Ill check out the manual.
            Strangely enough, I dont find the Rocky that noisy. Maybe because the noise from the Silvia has more bass?
            Who knows..

Comment

What chance a foam beer can cooler cut to fit around the pump?

How hot does the pump get?

AA

Comment

Why surround the whole pump.
                A small piece of foam at a strategic location may be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1183536086/0#7 date=1191026151
                  Why surround the whole pump.
                  A small piece of foam at a strategic location may be enough.
                  Yep, thats right..... you only need to decouple the pump from the metalwork of the chassis and adjacent pipework. If you have a look at the drawing above of the arrangement that Bezzera use, thatll give you an idea of whats going on....

Cheers,
                  Mal.

Comment

I agree the pump is a bit rowdy but the coffee coming out of the spout is what I worry about, I put the noise down to part of Silvias character!!!!

Comment

Hey, whats wrong with a bit of noise for 25 or so seconds if the end result is a fantastic espresso. I personally dont find my Silvia that noisy (its quieter than my old sunbeam) but Im also concentrating on the end result to notice too much.

Comment

One mans whisper may be another mans scream..... horses for courses people,

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 48424D44565156504E4C4846230 link=1183536086/0#0 date=1183536086
                          Hi
                          Has anyone been successful in replacing their vibrating pump with a quieter model?
                          Or been successful in muffling the sound from their pump, with a sound proof enclosure or similar device?

Cheers
                          Kan.

Hi Kan,

Did you have any luck with making your Silvia a little quieter?

Sorry for bumping an old thread!  

Cheers, Mick

Comment

Originally posted by 404A454C5E595E584644404E2B0 link=1183536086/0#0 date=1183536086
                            I used to briefly have the same problem... until I bought a T shirt and had it printed with the word ADAPT !!
                            They soon got the message ;D

Comment

Silvia and Rocky are quiet compared to a 6910 jackhammering at 6am in the morning!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X