Any thoughts on the Kitchenaid  ESPRESSO MACH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on the Kitchenaid  ESPRESSO MACH

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has or have had a kitchenaid espresso machine? If so what do you think??? We are looking at upgrading our current machine (Rancilio Silvia) and my wife insists she wants to go with the kitchenaid purley based on its looks and that it will match all of her other appliances.......Dont know if it is me but Id prefer a decent shot rather than a machine that looks good but cant make a decent coffee. I have a budget of around $1500, what do you think?

Cheers

Re: Any thoughts on the Kitchenaid  ESPRESSO

jackal05,

IMHO, put your foot down and go with the Silvia, you could get a machine/grinder package from one the sponsers (on the left of the page) for a similiar price to the retro styled kitchenaid. If I had known what I know now when I was buying a machine, the silvia or better would have been at the top of the list.

I assume its the retro looking machine you are talking about.

Comment

Re: Any thoughts on the Kitchenaid  ESPRESSO MACH

Hi Boldor, I already own a Silvia....... I find though that no matter what with my Silvia I cannot get a very hot espresso, dont know why, cups are left on the warmer and the handle is left in the group head??? I thought maybe the double boilers on the Kitchenaid would help maintain a decent heat.

Comment

Originally posted by jackal05 link=1183536334/0#2 date=1183538303
        Hi Boldor, I already own a Silvia....... I find though that no matter what with my Silvia I cannot get a very hot espresso, dont know why, cups are left on the warmer and the handle is left in the group head??? I thought maybe the double boilers on the Kitchenaid would help maintain a decent heat.
        Hi jackal05
        Double boilers wont make any difference to that temp thing.

The highest you can realistically make espresso at is about 95C and even that to most palates is a bit burnt. Having said that, with a Silvia properly warmed up , you are flushing it to get the temperature down, not up, so as not to burn the coffee. Machines like the Silvia suffer from too much heat because the element stays hot even after the thermostat clicks off the heating- it overshoots by a substantial amount, which is why we often use PIDs to lose that overshoot of temperature.
        How much are you warming the machine up- half to 3/4 hour?
        Also the cup warmer on a domestic machine doesnt really keep cups that warm.

Brett

Comment

Hi Brett, I often have the machine on all day and still the same thing. I would love if my shots out of my silvia where even close to 95deg, I am assuming that I may have a faulty thermostat. I can honsestly say I look forward to my first burnt palate from this machine.. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jackal05 link=1183536334/0#2 date=1183538303
            Hi Boldor, I already own a Silvia.......
            Sorry, my blunder. [smiley=shocked.gif]

It may be worth your while talking to one of the site sponsers.
            I believe Talk Coffee sells the Silvia, Chris may be able to give
            you some assistance with your problem. [smiley=beer.gif]

Comment

the KitchenAid machine is essentially 2 Gaggia Boilers with Gaggia PFs etc... I wouldnt pay $1200 or so for Aluminium boilers... Id head towards a HX machine if I were you... if $1500 could do it... borderline...

Comment

The Kitchenaid machine has been unfavorably reviewed in other forums, In that price range you have some great Heat Exchanger options

As suggested by Boldor a discussion with Chris at Talk Coffee would be a great starting point.

Any proper machine will not extract espresso at more than 95degC, higer temps will burn the coffee and it will taste bitter.

You should fill your cups with hot water from the steam wand to properly preheat them, rather than rely on the warming feature. The cups should be hot to touch.
                A small volume [25ml] of hot coffee put into a luke warm cup will cool down very rapidly

If you are already doing this, perhaps you do have a heating problem, is the water from the steam wand hot [ie nearly boiling]?

Comment

Just thought I would resurrect this thread as I have recently had an opportunity to test one of these machines here at home.

A friend of my sons (David) mentioned to him at work a while ago that he was having trouble getting his new espresso machine to produce decent coffee. Anyway, after some considerable time had elapsed I met David in relation to a totally different matter and subsequently realised that he was the chap with the problematical espresso machine. David has since become a friend of mine too and I suggested that he drop himself and the machine around one day so that we could check it out.

Well that day arrived yesterday. Ive never seen a Kitchenaid Artisan espresso machine in the flesh before and I must say that it is a machine of impressive proportions in all respects and with a very pleasing heft to it. Im not certain of the weight but it must be in the neighbourhood of 15Kg.

After ensconcing the Artisan on to the bench next to my grinder, I gave it a close going over and must say I am very impressed with the quality of finish and overall construction quality. Not sure if this is worth the amount of money you pay though (well over AUD$1,000). I understand that these machines are constructed by Gaggia for Kitchenaid and comprise many components that are common to other Gaggia domestic machines. Given that the Artisan has a Twin Boiler setup, I suppose its possible that hydraulically and electrically, it is very similar to other current Gaggia twin boiler machines although I dont actually know this.

Anyway, after filling up the water reservoir with clean filtered water from my trusty Brita jug, the Artisan was switched on, Boiler topped up and allowed to warm up over the course of an hour or so, with the PortaFilter (with Double Basket) lightly locked into the Group.

Adjusted the grind setting on the LSM from Plunger (where I normally leave it) down until the resulting grind felt fine enough when rubbed between the fingers. Depending on your personal experience I spose, but when it got down to that of very fine sand thats where I left it. Put about 50 grams of a blend I recently roasted into my Fire Engine Red Hopper substitute and ground enough for one Double shot plus another couple of grams.

Removed the PF from the Artisan, dried out the Basket then dosed and tamped to my personally preferred method. Flushed a little water through the Group(just to make sure the Brew Water wasnt too hot) then locked the PF into the Group and hit the Brew Button again then placed a small glass under the spouts. After about 4-5 seconds the first few glorious, globulous drips of dark, viscous honey coloured coffee oozed from the PF spouts and slowly developed into steady, viscous streams of golden goodness.

The shot was stopped after about 28 seconds, before any signs of blonding had actually started but while there were still a few threads of dark red/brown striping evident in the streams. Resulting volume was about 55ml with a crema head of approx 10mm sitting on top of the coffee liquor itself. The shot aroma was very, very nice indeed..... a cross between soft, middle east spices, some cherry notes, dark chocolate and a slight hint of marzipan, of all things.

On the palate, the cherry aromas were definitely represented, very little spiciness, maybe a little touch of cloves, almonds most definitely and a beautiful rummy, dark chocolate finish that lingered for more than half an hour afterwards. Overall balance was good, no burnt or sour notes at all so the Brew Water Temp must be close to ideal..... There was mild to medium acidity coupled with good body that extended the flavours to all parts of the palate. A most enjoyable espresso indeed. Just to prove a point, I pulled several more shots using the same grind and then closed down a little to try a couple of Ristrettos. All in all, every shot produced was of very good quality and comparable to some of the better shots from my old Mokita and of a definitely acceptable standard when compared to my Bezzera.

Also tried a couple of Lattes too but didnt use the steam Wand on the Artisan as it is of the Panarello variety and quite short and I just didnt feel like fooling around with it to be honest. I dont know whether a better quality wand could be fitted but I guess if the machine has a failing at all, then this is it. Its not a Mohican in this regard of course, far too many domestic higher end domestic machines have these terrible things fitted too.

After completing the brewing session, the machine was back-flushed and generally given a good clean as the owner was not aware of the correct procedures to be used so this was demonstrated. He is (aware) now though and Im sure the Artisan is going to be kept in tip-top condition from now on.

So, for any current owners of the Kitchenaid Artisan I would say that you have a very capable and sculpturally unique espresso machine. If it wasnt for the darn Panarello Steam Wand and the exorbitant price tag, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Artisan to anyone impressed by its good looks and promise of potential. However, for this sort of money there are far superior machines to be had, especially from our site sponsors, and in all honesty I am unable to recommend it unconditionally.

Hope this has been of some interest to current owners or those of you who have been considering buying one from your local Myers or David Jones. All the best ,

Mal.

Comment

Fantastic Post Mal !! Bravo

Comment

Originally posted by MarcS link=1183536334/0#9 date=1202093140
                      Fantastic Post Mal !! Bravo
                      Thank you Marcus, much appreciated..... [smiley=happy.gif]

Mal.

Comment

Hi this is my first post! I just bought one of these machines off ebay and wish I hadn't! It arrived only partially working and now I need to replace the on/off switch for the hot water boiler. I'm pursuing a refund but don't feel very confident about this. Anyway, after findind this thread, I wondered if there was anyone out there with advice on where I might be able to pick up one of these switches?? Or if you have any, I'd be happy to buy direct? After some research, I've found that these switches retail for about $80, which seems a bit much. I understand that some of the parts are gaggia and some are specifically kitchenaid?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Dom

Comment

You can get the switches from a House store which stocks kitchenaid. They can order them in.
                          I have bought gauges and switches from them before. Switch cost around $25 I think.

Comment

Working...
                          X