Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i remove the filter basket (em6910)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i remove the filter basket (em6910)

I cant remove the filter basket after i inserted it into the PF~~it holds very tight~~I cant clean the PF after i make coffee~~~~

Re: How can i remove the filter basket (em6910)

They are a tight fit when new, but over time they loosen a bit... grab a butter knife and wedge it out ;-)

Comment

Use a butter knife ? But i dont want to scratch my PF~~~~But im sure it will loosen abit later~~~

Thx anyway~~

Comment

I use the edge of another basket to pop it out.

Dont want to scratch your pf? Do you knock at all with your tamper?
        My PF has a heap of dings where I do that.

I doubt that you can mark it too badly with either the butter knife or other basket option.

You need to get used to the idea of removing them. Crud builds up underneath and you have to take them out to properly clean your pf.

If not, your PF will look great but produce awful tasting coffee.

Comment

At my course they suggested a teaspoon.
          It makes sense because the curve of the bowl acts as a fulcrum to help lever the basket up.

Comment

Yep, dont be afraid to use a butter knife to get it out or the edge of another basket as already suggested. A little scratch wont hurt that brass pf!

Off-topic....but....

knocking is bad fatboy...you shouldnt be knocking...unless youre someone like Klaus Thomsen :P

I used to knock...but I am now a no-knock convert....By the sounds of it youre knocking with the base of the tamper rather than the handle? If you knock...try knocking with the handle.

Check out the first 10 seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMvizMCjcE

Comment

Thx everyone for helping me~~~I ended up using a teaspoon to dig it off~~it works and it hasnt done any damage to the PF( which is very gd)~~

I have so many questions becos i only bought the machine two days ago~~Anyway thx everyone for helping~~~

Comment

Originally posted by sugilun link=1183906591/0#6 date=1183979333
                I ended up using a teaspoon
                Yes!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1183906591/0#5 date=1183978694
                  Yep, dont be afraid to use a butter knife to get it out or the edge of another basket as already suggested. A little scratch wont hurt that brass pf!

Off-topic....but....

knocking is bad fatboy...you shouldnt be knocking...unless youre someone like Klaus Thomsen :P

I used to knock...but I am now a no-knock convert....By the sounds of it youre knocking with the base of the tamper rather than the handle? If you knock...try knocking with the handle.

Check out the first 10 seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMvizMCjcE
                  David,
                  Yes.
                  Knocking is bad.
                  Dose and collapse is bad.
                  Tamping is not really required if you do the grind correctly.

There are people who subscribe to all of these views and can produce factoids, videos, pictures, dissertations and a bloke named Trevor to back them all up or discredit them.

At this stage of my coffee making career (IE: at home), I am certain of just one thing.. I will always be learning!

However, at this point, routine takes precedence over changes.

As much as I should not be doing it unless I am Klaus Thomsen, you could equally argue that unless I am Klaus Thomsen, it really matters not either way.

There are so many things I can do better or differently, I could go on for ages.

I do have some things I want to try, change, experiment with etc. Ill add this to the list ;-)

Thanks for the input!

Brett.

Comment

Never had a problem with a stuck basket -- in fact, a few times the basket complete with puck ejects into the knock box.

Finger pressure alone will remove it from the portafilter.

Ive been tapping, quite firmly, the basket on the knock box bar for over two years -- and not a sign of a dint, mark or scratch yet.

And just as well. Such imperfections on the rim of the basket would probably damage the group seal, cutting into it.

--Robusto

Comment

I use a thin tea towel and line it against the rim of the basket and with 4 fingers, I can peel it away.

Be very careful when snapping the basket back onto the PF.

Once I had to push so hard, I pinched the palm of my hand when the edge of the basket crimped it against the PF. Ouch ouch double ouch.

These days, the basket is "looser" as it is worn in.

Lawrance

Comment

Thx for all the advices and experience~~~~They are all really helpful~~~Thx everyone again x 1000~~~ ;D

Comment

At risk of derailing this thread, Id just like to quickly respond to you Brett.

Excellent reply and I can fully understand what you are saying. When people begin, many find it hard to maintain any kind of fluency.

What I really meant to say in my previous post is that, because many people struggle to find some kind of fluency, they should do everything they can/know of to help them succeed in pulling an awesome shot.

I myself am still a beginner when I compare myself to some colleagues and so a what I find is a simplified routine works well.

Thanks for replying...cheers.

Comment

Working...
                          X