Cost of replacement boiler in Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of replacement boiler in Silvia

Hi, I have had to have the boiler replaced in my 14 month old Silvia, it was knocking out our household elcb so I took it to the recommended service agent for a repair.  I asked for a bit of leeway considering it was only 2 months out of warranty but no luck at all with that.
    After being told they would just need to replace the element I got the bill today for $223, which involved replacing the boiler
    How does this sound to you?  a bit rich?

Thanks in advance,

Cammo

Re: Cost of replacement boiler in Silvia

Originally posted by Cammo link=1184742363/0#0 date=1184742363
    Hi, I have had to have the boiler replaced in my 14 month old Silvia, it was knocking out our household elcb so I took it to the recommended service agent for a repair.  I asked for a bit of leeway considering it was only 2 months out of warranty but no luck at all with that.
    After being told they would just need to replace the element I got the bill today for $223, which involved replacing the boiler
    How does this sound to you?  a bit rich?

Thanks in advance,

Cammo
    That sounds pretty good to me Cammo. The part price for a new boiler is close to $200- So it sounds like your dealer has done it pretty much at cost and provided you with free labour.

Always prime the boiler by running water from the group head or wand post milk texturing. Overheating kills elements and as you have found, they are a one piece arrangement these days....

Comment

Thanks heaps for the advice! Happy to hear that info...

I assume it is normal for there to be a heap of steam come out while you bleed the steam wand after milk texturing? Is that full boiler then fine for hours? I leave my Silvia on a timer that keeps it on from 6am to 9pm. I guess that is ok providing you keep a full boiler (which I have never done if that requires bleeding steam after milk work)?

Thanks!

Cammo

Comment

Bad luck Cammo. Unfortunately the element on Silvias these days is fused into the top of the boiler to prevent leaks where the terminals poke through. (Mind you, many other manufacturers dont appear to have that alleged problem).

So you cant just replace the element, you have to go to the expense of a new boiler as well.

Id be more comfortable leaving the machine on for extended periods if it had a PID controller. That way there are no wild fluctuations of temperature.

Others may have different advice on that.

After you have brewed coffee, run the pump and let water come through the steam wand. That will ensure the element is safely submerged.

But you dont want the boiler totally filled with water when its time to steam again. You need some headroom to hold steam.

Brewing a coffee should provide that headroom.

--Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by Cammo link=1184742363/0#2 date=1184759361
          Thanks heaps for the advice!  Happy to hear that info...
          I assume it is normal for there to be a heap of steam come out while you bleed the steam wand after milk texturing?  Is that full boiler then fine for hours?  I leave my Silvia on a timer that keeps it on from 6am to 9pm.  I guess that is ok providing you keep a full boiler (which I have never done if that requires bleeding steam after milk work)?
          Thanks!
          Cammo
          Yes it is normal for steam to come out, and after a short time youll get a stream of water, then the boiler is full.
          Another thing to be wary of is the steam valve. You may have a full boiler, but the steam valve may have a slight leak or it might not be completely closed, and after a while, the boiler will lose water through the steam wand.
          I personally wouldnt be leaving the machine on for an extended period of time, especially if its unattended. It doesnt take very long for the machine to heat up when you want a brew, and you will save yourself a heap of $$$ replacing a boiler.

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1184742363/0#3 date=1184760492
            But you dont want the boiler totally filled with water when its time to steam again.  You need some headroom to hold steam.

Brewing a coffee should provide that headroom.
            Does the water level in the boiler actually drop when you switch on the brew switch? Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the pump draw water from the tank, then pump it through the boiler, not pumping it out of the boiler? So wouldnt the level in the tank remain full with the brew switch on? Cold water from the tank is entering the boiler as the hot water exits through the brewhead, does it not?

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill link=1184742363/0#5 date=1184811753

Does the water level in the boiler actually drop when you switch on the brew switch? Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt the pump draw water from the tank, then pump it through the boiler, not pumping it out of the boiler? So wouldnt the level in the tank remain full with the brew switch on? Cold water from the tank is entering the boiler as the hot water exits through the brewhead, does it not?

Bill
              Yep, basically thats how it works - the boiler remains full.

With the Solis I had they recommended opening the steam valve just after switching to steam to allow some of the water to exit the boiler (via the steam wand) to provide "head room" for the steam.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks heaps for your tips a while ago about the new boiler, I happily paid it following your adivce and have made a youtube video documenting my new method of making coffee.  If any of you had a chance to check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtSGAifdMB8 and let me know if I seem to be doing the right things to keep my boiler in better condition.  My last one only lasted about 14 months from new and I guess it probably spent a lot of this time empty!  Hopefully this one will last a LOT longer!  

Comment

Wonder if anyone has had a go at fitting the original silvia seperate element into one of these combined boiler/element units. If the element centres are the same then the blown element can be drilled out to take the replaceable element, I expect some machining would be required inside to provide a flat surface for the seal to abut. One would need to know what one was doing working with electricity steam and pressurised water but it may be worth a go.

Comment

I think what you almost said was that youd need a qualified boilermaker to do it for you.

Hopefully martybean will read this and add his professional opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by vicroamer link=1184742363/0#8 date=1189763666
                      Wonder if anyone has had a go at fitting the original silvia seperate element into one of these combined boiler/element units. If the element centres are the same then the blown element can be drilled out to take the replaceable element, I expect some machining would be required inside to provide a flat surface for the seal to abut. One would need to know what one was doing working with electricity steam and pressurised water but it may be worth a go.
                      Gday vr,

Yep, this has been discussed at some length not long after Rancilio made the design change. I think it was agreed at that time that, Yes the necessary mods could be completed by someone with the necessary skills and access to the appropriate tooling. There would probably be scope for someone with the above attributes to kick-off a home-based hobby/business for people who arent happy with Rancilios decision and would like to regain the flexibility to replace elements when they blow, not most of the boiler assy. All the best,

Mal.

Comment

They are available as a swap for about $100 or so, do the swap yourself, from a guy in Melbourne, hes not a sponsor so I wont post his name, but PM me & Ill give his details. Seems to work well, same sized element, & relativley to fit.

cheers
                        Michael

Mods- is it OK to post his name/details?

Comment

Originally posted by mj911e link=1184742363/0#11 date=1190203414
                          Mods- is it OK to post his name/details?
                          Id just stick with PM requests for now, can always be reviewed at a later date .....

Mal.

Comment

PM me & Ill give his details
                            Aahh I thought it was doable and it sounds like some one has done it.
                            Thanks for reply, PM sent for future reference.

Comment

Working...
                            X