Silvia or More Expensive Grimac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia or More Expensive Grimac

I love a good coffee and my wife and I have decided to make a purchase.

I have read many good reviews on the Ranc Silvia, however my wife uses a machine called a Grimac at work ( mia )

Im impressed with Grimac, as it has jazzy looks and the coffee comes out a commercial quality temprature.

However there is a quite a cost difference between the two.

Some advice of what to look out for would be a great help.

Thanks

JeBBa

Re: Silvia or More Expensive Grimac

Welcome to the site Jebba - Robusto has a big Grimac and may have some advice on this machine, but you will need to post the model or a link a pic etc.

Cheers

Comment

Hi and welcome to Coffeesnobs Jebba.

You are deciding between two totally different machine types with, as you observed, quite a difference in price between them.   About the only thing in common is being made in Italy.

Silvia is a fantastic single boiler machine but its temperature control is a let down.  Its a heavy duty construction. Makes a great coffee.

Grimac is a heat exchanger machine, temperature control via pressurestat is excellent, but the boiler is fairly small at 1.3 litres, and that could be a shotcoming steaming lots of lates in a row, but I am only guessing.  Weighs almost twice as much as the Silvia.

The Grimac Mia is the baby of the Grimac range.  Specifications are available from the companys website in Italy:

http://www.grimac.it/en/en_prod_prof_mia.html

There are many reviews as well including this:http://www.home-barista.com/pros-perspective-mia.html

The Mia comes with manual or volumetric dosing controls.

There are infinitely more reviews on the Silvia, which you can find on this site, and several overseas ones.

What to look for....

If making espressos is your primary aim, you cant go past the Silvia for quality (of machine and drink) and price.  It will also handle a couple of lattes, though as with all single boiler machines youll have to wait for the temperature rise after pullng the espresso component.

If making milk drinks is on the menu, go for the Grimac.

But I would not limit the search to the Grimac.... there are many other brands of excellent single and twin boiler heat exchanger machines  which our site sponsors (on the left of the page)  will happily advise you on.

Hope this helps...

-Robusto

Comment

Thanks Robusto.

Well I enjoy an espresso and my wife more enjoys the lattes and caps.

Any others that u recommend me look at it around the 1500 - 2000 range, prefrably the non fully automatic types and as discussed already something that is going to have good temprature.

Thanks again,

JeBBa

Comment

Sounds like my wn situation Jebba: espresso v lattes.

Contact the sponsors, they are much more knowledgable of whats available in that range, and monthly specials. Youll also need a good grinder.

-Robusto

Comment

Im taking my silvia in for a service and am now decided on a grimac volumetric I saw today

Comment

Ah, upgradities already, Sullo!? Havent you only had that Silvia for a short while?

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1184976829/0#6 date=1185004471
                Ah, upgradities already, Sullo!? Havent you only had that Silvia for a short while?
                Now weve got him! Hes hooked!!

Java "MOAHAHAHA" PHILE
                Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

the time Ive had it and the differencebetween the time its been working apart from reducing me to instant is a joke.
                  Siliva the witch will be banished for a proper machine.

Comment

Yes, I understand your pain, Sullo! Im sorry that youve had such a frustrating journey with your machine. All I can say is you must have lucked out and got a Friday machine...

Comment

Yes I have, not to hijack this thread but I was in the garage and had to move a sledgehammer, I had to pause for a moment......
                      Once I take it in for service and get the all clear that its okay its up for sale.

Comment

i may have misunderstood you, Sullo, but do you think the "service" will get the sledge hammer dents out of Ms Silvia??

Comment

Never known a Silvia to get such bad press. But Sullo, you bought it for enjoyment. You bought it to make great coffee. And if it reduces you to instant -- enough said. :-X

Ive seen the Grimacs at a non-sponsors HQ in Melbourne and they look good. Not the razzle-dazzle of Giottos et al, but a serious machine nonetheless.

If the group and controls are like mine -- and probably are -- you get a handy electronic pre-infusion with the volumetric pads.

--Robusto

Comment

Lizzi, thats why I paused, thought about it, then put it somewhere else that wasnt easily accessible.
                            Rob everything Ive read about Silvia stated its bulletproofness, just my luck to get a slightly less shiny one, as for next machine, it can look like a dog hind leg for all I care I just want my coffee damnit!!!!
                            Its sending me crazier then normal.
                            I get shafted at work and shafted by a little italian, and I dont mean my partner!
                            Ive even started scouring evilbay for a restoration project!

Comment

Sullo, i feel for you ( and, your partner for having to put up with your frustration... )

look at it this way: at least now you get to enjoy the hunt for a new unit, the expectations, the excitement, all the joys of Christmas... all over again!!!
                              good luck, mate, enjoy the hunt!!

L

Comment

Working...
                              X