machine in this price bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machine in this price bracket

Apart from Silvia, whats the next machine either sideways or upwards from silvia?
    trying to limit to 1500...
    aiming at a milk based making machine and not plumbed in, or would I be wanted to goto 2K mark?

anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in desperation

Sullos

Re: machine in this price bracket

The Nuova Simonelli Oscar is a cheap HX machine in the budget... Ive never seen or used one, so no idea how good they are :P

Comment

The NS Oscar has an ABS plastic body. So many people think they look cheap. But from all accounts they make great espresso and milk based drinks. I believe theres a comparison with a Giotto here on CS somewhere.

The only reservation is warranty and servicing, as these machines arent well supported here in Aussie land. Correction _ Ive just found that Veneziano/First Pour are now selling them. So I expect good support now exists.

If youre a function over form person, then the NS oscar is worth a look.

Comment

If youre going to take any direction in life, dont go backwards and dont go sideways. Go forward in leaps and bounds.

Fifteen hundred, I would venture, is not going to get you much of a satisfying leap.

Two thousand may be also be a little underweight, as sitting atop the real next step are the gleaming HX machines, the likes of Expobar Minore and ECMs Giotto.

That is site sponsor territory.

Or you could try a used commercial machine for up to half that much. But given your frustrations thus far, you may not want to go down that parth, understandably.

Definitely do not go sideways.

-Robusto

Comment

well a used commercial isnt out of the question, I would have no problem getting a used one and restoring it. That way I know its fixed!
          Function over form? I dont care what the thing looks like as long as it works and I can mainain it without worrying about warranty etc, something that is meant to be backflushed etc etc.
          Ive been scouring adds on various online sources and yes the evil one too.
          So if anyone knows of someone wanting to sell one pls let me know.
          I just want a machine that will do what its sposed to, make coffee and not frustrate me.

22 kilos of coffee here going to waste

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky link=1185067667/0#2 date=1185068748
            The NS Oscar has an ABS plastic body. So many people think they look cheap. But from all accounts they make great espresso and milk based drinks. I believe theres a comparison with a Giotto here on CS somewhere.

The only reservation is warranty and servicing, as these machines arent well supported here in Aussie land. Correction _ Ive just found that Veneziano/First Pour are now selling them. So I expect good support now exists.

looks like it has one of those goofy milk steamer attachments?

Comment

Sullo,

Yep, I agree with Robusto..... if you are about to leap make it a worthwhile leap.

There seems to be quite a gap between Silvia like machines and the next rung up the ladder.... in performance - and unfortunately in price.

Do some test driving of the various machines on offer and make sure YOU are happy with the results......

All our tastes in coffee, ideas of what makes a good machine, how much real estate we can allocate to the machine on the benchtop and budgets are different...... and the final decision will always be a bit of a compromise - unless you have unlimited funds..... which most of us dont : :

Comment

* E * X * P * O * B * A * R *

either Office Leva or , for the real bling thing, Minore

Comment

Sullo, Im biased, but at least with a commerecial machine of good pedigree you can be reassured it is "built to take it."

Leave it on all day, industrial strength design and parts, made for busy cafes with demanding day/night use....

So, by comparison, sitting in your home its having a leisurely holiday, totally stress-free, prolonging its already-considerable life span, probably by decades.

But theres a fair amount of luck hitting on the right one to come your way. In my case, coupled with "gut feeling" and blind faith.

If you go down that path, its easier if internet information is readily available... and, more importantly, one for which parts are also in ready supply from, say, Coffeeparts.com.au

Good luck,

-Robusto

Comment

Rob
                    thats one thing I like about the commercials is the leaving on all day thing so I can just walk up to it and make coffee, not going to the rituals of waiting for warmup, "temp surfing" and other such stuff which at times makes me make a tea.
                    I think a second hand commercial is looking better then another single unit.
                    And with the amount of coffee had here it wont go unused thats fr sure.
                    I just reboxed the witch (silvia) and was asked whats going on, I simply said I want coffee this witch is going for service then being sold so I can get something better.
                    Only time they drink coffee is when its made witha machine, other wise its tea.

thanks for the advice everyone really appreciate the input.

Hint hint sponsors anyone got a second hand commercial?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by robusto link=1185067667/0#8 date=1185071233

Sullo, Im biased, but at least with a commerecial machine of good pedigree you can be reassured it is "built to take it."

-Robusto
                      No your not Robusto - well not in my eyes

A second hand commercial is definitely a good buy IMHO.....

But this is where compromise needs to be made - big time!

Most will need some work - some will require heaps and you wont know until you can give it a good "check out" -- which is generally not possible with machines on the Bay of Evil

Parts are generally readily available and arent that expensive.

Single groups are far more rare - and for this reason attract a premium price.

Two (or more groups) are far more common and dont have the same price premium - but need far more bench real estate.... and generally a special power run (additional expense)...

Once restored to full operating condition they all make great coffee and will last for ever.... its just a matter of getting one which wont need too much work - and fits within any size / power limitations you (or your "other half" ;D ;D) might have.

Comment

well if I can get a 2 group on a 10amp power socket that would be good, putting in a plug has been approved by the bro in law but hes a bit hesistant at the plumbing in option...
                        Ill bring him around
                        Bench space isnt an issue Ill put it in my office if I have to!

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1185067667/0#11 date=1185074218

well if I can get a 2 group on a 10amp power socket that would be good, putting in a plug has been approved by the bro in law but hes a bit hesistant at the plumbing in option...
                          Ill bring him around

Mmmmm...

Most two groups need a 15 Amp run minimum (mine requires 20 Amps) if all heaters are used. There are nearly always 3 heaters on these units (so they can be used on 3 phase power) and you can disconnect one, or generally 2, to reduce its power draw to within the 10 Amps.

The effect of doing this is to increase the heat up time by a factor of 3 - not a concern with a machine which is left on 24/7 - and to increase recovery time (again by a factor of 3) -- the time taken for the boiler to recover after texturing milk for several drinks. This again wouldnt be a concern at home (generally) - but I couldnt live with it as I fairly frequently make 12 - sometimes as many as 20 - milk based drinks in quick succession (wifes friends!!) and I need the quick recovery.

Comment

Thats the spirit Sullo.

Unmodified two-groupers will be in excess of 15 amps, but you can most probably disable part of the element to bring them down to use a household power point.

(No discernable difference on my machine)

Plumbing in may not be an option -- some pumps will not self-prime so you have no choice. Doing it is extrememly easy with braided flexible hose in particular. Dont forget the in-line water softener.

I should mention you must be prepared to live with the Klunk of the pressurestat.

Im not entirely sure its something you can swtch off in your mind. But people who live next to railway lines do say they cant hear the train.

-Robusto

Comment

Originally posted by Sullo link=1185067667/0#5 date=1185069436
                              Originally posted by Sparky link=1185067667/0#2 date=1185068748

looks like it has one of those goofy milk steamer attachments?
                              The NS OScar has a commercial wand and tip fitted. The ABS plastic body I agree isnt aesthetically pleasing as chrome bling, but have a play around with it and you will be suitably impressed. If youd like to have a play, call us before you come in so we can turn it on and have it ready to go when you come in.

Cheers,

David

Comment

Working...
                              X