Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What home machine makes continuous cups of lattes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What home machine makes continuous cups of lattes?

OK, I couldnt fit the entire question into the title, so here it goes again - what is the minimum amount of money (in ball park terms) that I need to spend, if I were to replace my Sunbeam EM6910 with another machine that can steam milk very well and pull shots in quick succession?  I tend to have to make lots of coffees for dinner guests, and after spending 4 hours last Sundy behind a Vibiemme 3 group HX machine, I kinda like the idea of being able to quickly steam milk and pull shots of espresso in quick succession.

However I dont want a machine at home that big, because I physically dont have a large kitchen, nor do I want it plumbed in (as it would mean modifying my kitchen which Ive just recently renovated with a stone benchtop.

I want a machine that isnt a single boiler like the Sylvia, because it will take too long to switch the temperatures in the boiler between steaming and pulling espressos.  The Sunbeam does a great job but is a bit noisy so Im exploring the possibilities of upgrading to a machine that is quieter, and perhaps does not use a thermo block.

Oh, and I dont want to spend more than $1500 if I can avoid it. And Im not after a superautomatic - I like to be able to grind and tamp in the coffee making process.

Thanks in advance!  

Re: What home machine makes continuous cups of lat

Sounds like the Nuova Simonelli Oscar is the only thing in that ballpark. It is a HX machine, so you can steam whilst brewing if you wish.

I havent had a sunbeam on the bench for a while, though, so off the top of my head I cant confirm that it isnt as noisy. Like most prosumer machines, the NS Oscar uses a vibratory pump.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

aiks !! youve given up on your sunbeam already??

It cant be that slow in making coffee.... perhaps you should ask the forum members how they pull quick continuous shots from the sunbeam first before deciding to buy a whole new machine....

I can tell you from the research Ive done so far, the best upgrade would be to a heat exchanger machine which will set you back about $2k. We are still eyeing Chriss expobar offer which look oh ! so very tempting

The nuova simonelli is prob. the only one around the $1.3k - $1.4k mark and we are going to First Pour this Saturday morning to meet Luca and to have a look at it. Only thing is, it is clad in ABS plastic so its not as pretty as the stainless steel models ( altho aesthetics are a personal thing) but if it can produce quality shots, thats what we all want.

Upgrade fever has caught us all !!

Suz

Comment

Heres a similar thread on the issue....

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1185067667

Comment

To get a quiet machine, youll need a machine with a Rotary Pump..

Ive seen a Minore II setup with a Rotary and plastic water tanks (Its not plumbed in)... I couldnt believe how quiet it was... very impressive...

Comment

Originally posted by Veneziano Caffe link=1185334944/0#1 date=1185335320
            Sounds like the Nuova Simonelli Oscar is the only thing in that ballpark.  It is a HX machine, so you can steam whilst brewing if you wish.

I havent had a sunbeam on the bench for a while, though, so off the top of my head I cant confirm that it isnt as noisy.  Like most prosumer machines, the NS Oscar uses a vibratory pump.

Hope that helps,

Luca
            Hi Luca,

Thanks for the recommendation.

How does the Simonelli Oscar allow steaming and extracting shots at the same time? Does it have two boilers? I guess I really dont know how HX machines work. From my understanding of the Sylvia, because its only got the one boiler, you cant steam and extract at the same time, unlike my present Sunbeam which has TWO thermoblocks, thereby allowing simultaneous steaming and shot extraction.

Do all HX machines effectively have TWO boilers, or am I not understanding how they work? :-/

Lawrance

Comment

Originally posted by lattegirl link=1185334944/0#2 date=1185335685
              aiks !! youve given up on your sunbeam already??
              <snip!>

Upgrade fever has caught us all !!

Suz  

Hey Suz!

Im perfectly happy with the extraction capabilities of the Sunny. It seems to pull reasonably good shots with fresh coffee grind, so from that point of view, no worries. However it takes a while to steam milk, and having been "spoilt" by using the commercial Vibiemme machines steaming ability, Im thinking that I can make faster coffees simply by upgrading to a machine with the ability to steam quicker than the EM6910.

The other reason would be because I want a quieter machine..... The Sunny does work quietly when its pressurising the PF during the extraction phase, but there are heaps of times when Im not actually pulling a shot, for example, when I just want to run some hot water through the shower screen when Im scrubbing it clean. Or when I am in a bit of hurry and want to get the PF heated up quicker, I just run a shot of hot water through it. During that time, because theres no load, the machine is rather noisy.

Lawrance

Comment

Lawrance,

A HX machine has one boiler..... varying in size from about 1.5 L in size (small machines) up to 20+ L (mine is 17L for example.....)

Through that boiler a tube is passed.... or in the case of the La Cimbali - a small cylinder is inserted into the heated water / steam and that heats up the water to the brew group.... its similar to a thermoblock but uses the water in the boiler to heat the brew water..... Heat is eXchanged between the boiler and the water flowing to the group.

Pretty much all the commercial machines (except the few which have two or more boilers) work that way....

You have the boiler 2/3 full of water (under pressure of about 1 Bar) at a temperature of about 120C with steam in the space above....

So heaps of steam power - always available..... and plenty of heat to heat the (fresh, cold) water for brewing.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1185334944/0#7 date=1185344691
                  Lawrance,

A HX machine has one boiler..... varying in size from about 1.5 L in size (small machines) up to 20+ L (mine is 17L for example.....)

Through that boiler a tube is passed.... or in the case of the La Cimbali - a small cylinder is inserted into the heated water / steam and that heats up the water to the brew group.... its similar to a thermoblock but uses the water in the boiler to heat the brew water..... Heat is eXchanged between the boiler and the water flowing to the group.

Pretty much all the commercial machines (except the few which have two or more boilers) work that way....

You have the boiler 2/3 full of water (under pressure of about 1 Bar) at a temperature of about 120C with steam in the space above....

So heaps of steam power - always available..... and plenty of heat to heat the (fresh, cold) water for brewing.
                  Thanks JavaB,

The light bulb comes on for this Thermoblock owner. ;D

Aahhh, I can see that I *must* have an HX machine in the near future.....

Now, I have to work out a way of convincing the minister of finance and budget. :-X :-[

Comment

Working...
                  X