Perfect setpoint value for PIDd Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect setpoint value for PIDd Silvia

I would like to ask anyone who had fitted a PID to their Silvia if they have tried changing the setpoint value to a setting lower than 109 C?

I got my PID from Jim so it was set to 109 C which is equivalent to 228F.

Has anyone tried setting it to 108.5, or 108, or 107 C and see a change in taste on the cup?

Using my manual test of measuring brew temp (styro cup with steam thermo stuck in the bottom), I consistently get 95 C on the brew temp. Havent tried changing the SV yet so I wanted to know if someone has tried it.

Its a matter of curiosity on my side.

Re: Perfect setpoint value for PIDd Silvia

Originally posted by dcaffeine8d link=1185868713/0#0 date=1185868713
    I would like to ask anyone who had fitted a PID to their Silvia if they have tried changing the setpoint value to a setting lower than 109 C?

I got my PID from Jim so it was set to 109 C which is equivalent to 228F.

Has anyone tried setting it to 108.5, or 108, or 107 C and see a change in taste on the cup?

Using my manual test of measuring brew temp (styro cup with steam thermo stuck in the bottom), I consistently get 95 C on the brew temp. Havent tried changing the SV yet so I wanted to know if someone has tried it.

Its a matter of curiosity on my side.
    No reason not to give it a shot.

Generally, dark roasts will be better suited with a higher brew temperature and lighter roasts will do well with a lower temp. I tend to like a brew temp of around 94 deg C- a touch cooler than typical for the US.

If you are happy with the shot, but taste sourness, a higher brew temp may assist...

2mcm

Comment

I always had my (late) Silvia set at 108°, but placing the thermocouple elsewhere on top of the boiler would have meant changing the set point.

I doubt very much though, whether a .5° variation is going to make any noticeable difference. If at all.

But as 2MCM said, no harm in trying.

-Robusto

Comment

Hi dcaffeine8d
        I have done PID work on a Botticelli and Quaha and have done exactly what you have suggested- I got espresso glasses and made shots three degrees either side of the accepted ideal. My daughter and I sampled them and found an ideal but one degree either side was nice but different.
        Give it a go and let people know the results- its all about taste after all!
        Brett

Comment

Hi decaffeine8d,

I was determined to try same thing and have run my Silvia as low as 105 (I think), which worked for some relatively lightly roasted beans, but I have found that generally somewhere around 108 is best overall.

Due to the way the PID and thermocouple are set up I would suggest that it is probably best to start with a 2 or 3 deg difference in set point. See what it tastes like, if you like it great, if not youve still learnt something.

Regards
          Bullitt

Comment

Thanks to all those who responded.

I took the plunge last night with a a blend called Espresso Cioccolato (Yemen Mokha, African, Indonesian, Central American bean) from one of the online sites.

I set it to 108C, a degree lower than my original setting which yielded a 85C brew temp using my wildly inconsisten temp method (as I mentioned before, my 109C gave me a 95C brew temp, but for some reason I couldnt replicate it anymore).

I finally gave up on measuring the brew temp and just started trusting my palate.

What can I say, I have not really done real cupping but I can tell you that the coffee tasted better at 108 C for my initial test. I can really taste the mocha flavor now.

I also managed to get a response from Jim (Pidkits) on the proper measurement they get for the brew temp at some setpoint using I think the Greg Scace device (http://www.espressoparts.com/product/EP-THERMOFILTER) .

Find his reply below:

---snip----
            On my 2 Silvias, after around 1 hour warmup, a setpoint of 228F (108.9C), I generally get a brew temperature of around 201F (93.9C).
            ---snip----

So based from this findings, Ill try the +/-2C change from the base 109C. He says it should be a 1:1 change when the SV is change.

So it would something like:

SV = Brew temp

110 = 95
            109 = 94
            108 = 93
            107 = 92

And I think he mentioned or I heard it somewhere that the ideal brew temp should be between 92-95.

regards,

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X