• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing black thing on 6910

Hi all!!

Well my 6910 arrived today and ive so far made two lattes

first one, I was really pleased with, the milk turned out well

second one, I tried over dosing like I used to on my old machine and found that although the crema was slightly better, the taste was more bitter.

Im wanting to remove the black thing (false floor) from the portafiller, how do you do it?

I dont wanna start hacking at my new machine hahahaa

Also: My pour is really fast, but im going to have a read up on the more specific threads and see if i can sus that out

Re: Removing black thing on 6910

Ignore this post

I stuck a flat head screwdriver down the guts in the hole in the middle, wedged it in and flicked it out

Took a few shots but got there in the end

Ive also pulled by far the best shot that ive ever done, a very very fine grind combined with a manual pour (not the auto timed one) and it was timed at 32 seconds so pretty close to where i need to be!! A bit more fine tuning and were there. Im pretty happy considerng im using an $80 sunbeam grinder that I bought a year ago when I thought coffee was a passing fad in my life haha

Ordered my Pullman Tamper 2 days ago and sending off my redemption for my 0480 grinder so in a few weeks ill be stoked!!

Comment

Anyone else taken out the plastic thingo? I know the review on Coffee Conossuers suggested that.

Comment

Yep.. I did... I think most EM6910 owners have here...

Comment

I just removed mine a few hours ago. My 6910 is only a week old, but already it was a bit smelly (like a stale ashtray) under the black thing, so removing it is a good idea. I got it out easily by removing the spout and unhooking it from underneath. It came out without any damage to the plastic thing. I saw a post somewhere else that the metal underneath the black plastic thing was rough and not machined. In my case, the metal underneath is very smooth so no problems there in terms of difficulty in cleaning. Should the black plastic thing have a name? How about Graeme.

Comment

i want to order a pullman tamper as well. However, i dont know what the do? Should i just order it from the web and post them my fliter basket? Also, i want to ask how heavy is the pullman tamper

Thx~~~~~

Comment

sugilun if your worried just PM greg directly and ask him yourself. He has EM6910 baskets so i dont think you need to send yours

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=gregpullman

Comment

I took the Black Thingy Thig out (Graeme as some call it) I think the only purpose it had is for when you have the pressurised baskets in and prevents the coffee shooting out the spout. So if you are using the standard (non pressurised basket) then it is safe and wise to take it out.

I ordered my Pullman Tamper straight from the Web without sending the basket. Greg said that the measurement dont really vary with the Sunbeam EM6910 so they can make the tamper to size without having to remeasure your basket.

Mine is a perfec fit. So much so that if I am tamping at an uneven level then to tamper base will not fit inside the basket properly. (forcing to correct to an even level so the base fits inside the basket. Come is pretty handy and with the leveling rings around the base I cant go wrong with a level tamp.

Comment

Originally posted by sugilun link=1188978543/0#5 date=1189123265
                  i want to order a pullman tamper as well. However, i dont know what the do? Should i just order it from the web and post them my fliter basket? Also, i want to ask how heavy is the pullman tamper

Thx~~~~~
                  Hi sugilun,

Yep as the other guys have said, the EM69xx baskets are very reliable thus far so they are a rare exception to the general advice to send your baskets in. We dont actually have Sunbeam baskets for sale, we have La Marzocco baskets which wont fit, and Synesso baskets which will, but since we know the size of the Sunbeam ones we can easily supply a tamper to fit without having to shift to a new basket. The weight of the tamper varies depending on the handle you choose, but theyre normally between about 420-450 grams.

Greg

Comment

Furthe question about removing the Graeme - is it possible to remove it wothout destroying it? I tried putting in a screwdriver and all that appears to happen is the plastic distorts...

Comment

i removed my Graeme without destroying it. take spout off.. turn PF upside down. so thread side up. put a piece of dowel or a allen key of the width of the inside thread, then get a hammer, and hit the dowel/key hard. The thing just pops out.

Comment

Yep, my Graeme is not even scratched after removing it. Underneath, it has two little hooks that you can access after removing the spout. You can gently unhook these from the sides of the metal hole and it pushes out without any trouble, (dont even need a hammer) leaving you with a Graeme-less PF and a perfectly intact Graeme, just in case you want to reinstate it at a later date.

Comment

I just wedged a screwdriver in the hole

I didnt think Graeme was needed in future :P

Comment

Graeme! ;D ;D One of the great pleasures of these sorts of communities is when they evolve a terminology all of their own through passing comments. Eventually well have to make a Terminology thread for newbies and include the likes of Graeme!

Comment

Weve got so far:

Corretto = Roaster
                              Dennis = Comedian
                              Graeme = Black plastic thingy
                              Pullman = Tamper

Comment

Working...
                              X