Advice Needed on my old Rancilio Audrey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed on my old Rancilio Audrey

I have come to the conclusion that my Audrey must be, at this point, somewhat over the proper pressure.

I have not tested this with a measuring device, but, even with a fine grind, and a good 30lbs+ tamp, I still get
    an exceedingly fast pour.

A few questions:

1) Is this machine adjustable, as to the pressure level? Is it a pain in the *(& to do, or reasonably easy? Anyone have a link that might describe? Ive been told that the guts are the same as a Silvia, but, even in the Silvia line, I understand early models were more difficult to adjust than later models, as to pressure.

2)I have noticed, when I start my pour, and it seems "fast", that if I turn on the steaming wand, and let some water spurt out of it during the pour, it almost acts as a pressure reducer, and I see my pour slow down to more of a rats tail speed. Is this an advisable way of adjusting my pressure, during pour? Any real ramifications of doing this?

3)This unit does not have a light, which indicates when the boiler is on. I understand, with the Silvia, this is useful for temperature surfing. Apparantly do a test pour, but not quite enough to where the light comes back on, and presumably you are closer to target temperature. Even though I dont have this light, I can "hear" when my boiler comes on, and definately sense by sound when it is not on. Any comments on how I should use this to my advantage, if possible, to do a pour at an optimal time?

Thanks for any comments.

Re: Advice Needed on my old Rancilio Audrey

Hi Jeff,

Drop Pedro at Coffeeparts a line. He stocks the bit you need to get it back to 9 bar.

A little adjustment on the OPV makes a big difference though and Id suggest the most accurate way to gauge pressure pot modification is with a portafilter pressure.

When we did Lachlans Siilvia recently, it was a 6.5 bar when we screwed it all back together and my gauge and a bit more turning to compress the teflon gasket did the job to get 9 bar at the group.

There should be someone not too far away who can check your machine for you once you have done the work.

Good luck!

Chris

Comment

Re: Advice Needed on my old Rancilio Audrey

Heres a link re fitting a boiler light to Audrey.
      http://www.scumby.com/~wes/rancilio/index.htm

Comment

Working...
      X