Lelit Combi PL042

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lelit Combi PL042

Hi, Im a brand new newbie, so please be kind.

This category (Midrange Equipment) would appear to have been dominated by 2 machines - Silvias and Sunbeam EM6910s.
    I just thought Id like to throw my recent purchase back into the mix.

After years of struggling with a little Krups and then a little De Longhi (which finally, thankfully, blew up), I decided to get more serious with my coffee making. After a bit of research, I realised my Braun grinder would also have to go. So then, whilst a Silvia / Rocky set appealed, I couldnt stretch the budget quite that far. The EM6910 initially looked good (particularly with the recent promo EM0480 inclusion) and theyre in every shop you walk into. But a few things worried me:
    - all the stories of wide ranging problems (is the 6910 an improvement over the 6900 in this regard?)
    - the NOISE
    - the thermoblock technology (thanks De Longhi!)
    - and the concern over them being mass produced in China - reliability and longevity?

Enter the Lelit. Made in Italy of similar basic principles to the Silvia (lots of stainless steel, 300ml brass boiler, 3-way solenoid valve), although obviously not of the same "Sherman tank" build standard, and with the Lux grinder in the same unit. I was also happy to be dealing with someone who (although not a CS sponsor - sorry) has a high reputation (and is responsible for warranty / repair issues). For me, a price around the same as a Silvia represents good value for money.

So far (about 3 weeks), Im very happy with it and making excellent coffee (IMHO). Hopefully, it will stand the test of (long) time (or until HX upgraditis gets me). At this stage, however, I can enthusiastically recommend it to anyone looking for a machine plus grinder at about $750.

PS. What is it about making espresso at home that gets people (including me) so wrapped up in it? I used to struggle to get out of bed some (all right - most) mornings, but now Im jumping straight up and the first thing I do is turn the Lelit on.

Also, thanks to everyone who has posted reviews and technical information on the Lelit / Nemox / Quaha over the years - makes E-researching easy.

Re: Lelit Combi PL042

Hi Greg
    Jim at www.pidkits.com has a great Lelit PID kit which Id look at a year down the track- easy to instal and you get to choose the temp youre brewing at. And yes the machine is a good one- Ive had lots of great espressos on my old Quaha I sold with a PID kit on it recently.
    Brett

Comment

Thanks Brett,

Looks interesting. He appears to have a kit adapted from a Silvia.
      Will give me something to ponder for the next 11 months.
      Meanwhile trying to get some consistency with what Ive got.
      Very happy with it and having fun so far.

Greg.

Comment

Hi Brett,

I originally bought telemasters Quaha Napoletana II brand new and was very happy with it. I only sold it because I needed a 58mm machine to test tamper prototypes on. I havent pushed it recently because the supplier I bought it from whom you may have deal with too was unable to get them for quite some time so I didnt know what the support would be like. I had mine for about four years and it rarely missed a beat.

Some dont like the integrated grinder because you cant upgrade it or the machine if you want to or if one bit breaks. There are also criticisms about machine heat affecting the beans. Personally I liked the small footprint and lack of power cords, and the grinder and machine were satisfactory for me. I only ever put enough beans in the hopper for what I was brewing then so heat wasnt an issue either.

The Silvia and Mazzer are certainly better in build quality and potentially results too so I dont regret having them, but the difference isnt so great that Id have bothered changing if I hadnt had no other choice.

Enjoy it!

Greg

Comment

Thank you Greg P,

Yes, I think it is the same supplier you have dealt with, hes got new Lelits and parts in this year.
          It is a convenient unit on the kitchen bench, very neat and tidy.
          The Lux grinder appears to be a good one and compliments the machine.
          I keep my beans in an old Moccona jar in the pantry, just use what I need - not a problem.

Actually, Im just about to do my first backflush (ever).
          Had just brought up your site on Imat (Lelit) / backflushing - thanks.

Sorry - my wife bought me a 57mm tamper (her contribution) when I found the plastic one on the machine near totally useless first time I used it. Its not a bad one, but I still may be interested in one of yours down the track (the thought of parting with my pf even for a few days at this stage is not a pleasant one :-X).

GregJW.

Comment

Originally posted by GregJW link=1189950946/0#0 date=1189950946
            PS. What is it about making espresso at home that gets people (including me) so wrapped up in it? I used to struggle to get out of bed some (all right - most) mornings, but now Im jumping straight up and the first thing I do is turn the Lelit on.

Also, thanks to everyone who has posted reviews and technical information on the Lelit / Nemox / Quaha over the years - makes E-researching easy.  

Buy a timer, less than $10 at the supermarket, and set it to 30 minutes before your alarm. Then you get to jump straight up and make the coffee.

Congratulations on the new toy.

Comment

Brilliant, Vivianne!

Except I think I even enjoy just turning it on (is that a bit weird?). And I have plenty to do while its warming up.

I guess that may pass and your idea will be an excellent addition.

Greg

Comment

Nice looking machine Greg - well done!

Comment

Originally posted by GregJW link=1189950946/0#4 date=1190420164
                  Yes, I think it is the same supplier you have dealt with, hes got new Lelits and parts in this year.

I keep my beans in an old Moccona jar in the pantry, just use what I need - not a problem.
                  That gives it away - definitely the same supplier! ;D

Originally posted by GregJW link=1189950946/0#4 date=1190420164
                  Sorry - my wife bought me a 57mm tamper (her contribution) when I found the plastic one on the machine near totally useless first time I used it. Its not a bad one, but I still may be interested in one of yours down the track (the thought of parting with my pf even for a few days at this stage is not a pleasant one :-X).
                  Done well. The standard one is pretty useless (which is actually what got the tamper ball rolling for me, but thats another story!). Fortunately the baskets on these machines are all pretty similar in size so sending the baskets isnt as much of an issue as it is with some other brands if you decide to upgrade it. Youll still have a bit of clearance with the 57mm tamper youve got, which you dont get with the ones we make, but even what youve got will be an improvement on the factory one!

Greg

Comment

Greg & Greg

I too have purchased a Lelit Combi and have found the tamper so bad that I have ceased all coffee production until my new Pullman Tamper arrives... should be here early next week, cant wait.

The info, tips & techniques, on Gregs site for this machine has been invaluble for a newbie like me and will continue to be so till I get accustomed to all the processes involved in producing good, no, great coffee.  Thanks Greg.

I have a long way to go to reach the standards of other members here but Im buckled n for the long haul... let the good times roll.

Chevy

Comment

Originally posted by chevy link=1189950946/0#9 date=1190466395
                      let the good times roll.
                      ...and the espresso flow!

Welcome to CS chevy and glad to be able to help out. I still recall the inconsistency with the supplied tamper, not to mention the awkwardness tamping in an upwards direction and the time it took to try to evenly tamp a 57mm basket with a 54mm tamper! Thankfully those days are long gone now!

Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg P,

Yes the 57mm tamper Ive got is OK, but does have slight clearance in the basket. I also notice my tamping is a bit uneven (which Ive been working on) so your lines would be handy (and indicates to me others have this problem).

With the Lelit, it makes you wonder why they make a good machine and put a crappy, useless tamper on it?

Congrats Chevy,

Hope youre as happy with it as I am (when you get rolling with your PT - must be an impatient wait). Good to hear from someone else who recognised a good unit at a good price.

Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg & Greg

Yes, the wait is killing me but I refuse to use the inbuilt tamper and waste more coffee.

I think the Lelit is a great buy and perfect for a beginner to learn the craft. I am very happy with it & totally addicted now, as we all are!!!

Will let you know how the PT goes... cannot wait!

Ben

Comment

Hi Ben (AKA Chevy)

Have you got your tamper yet? What have been your experiences with the lelit combo been thus far?

Comment

Hi Howser

Received the Pullman Tamper and have been using it for a couple of weeks and its fantastic, fits like a glove and a pleasure to use.

As my dosing & tamp techniques are improving so is my coffee, trying to be more consistent. The combi is great, simple to use and produces excellent espresso, no complaints from me.

chevy

Comment

Working...
                              X