New Silvia Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Silvia Owner

Well, after messing around with a couple of basic machines (which served me well) Ive taken the plunge and bought the Silvia and a Pullman tamper. Ive just dusted off my L plates and fitted them to the machine and from what Ive experienced so far itll take a little time to get the hang of it. But Im sure Ill enjoy the experience. Next up Ill have to replace the grinder. My modified Delonghi KG100 is okay, but I think Silvia deserves better.

Many thanks to Chris from TalkCoffee for great service and price - it was a pleasure dealing with him.

Re: New Silvia Owner

Welcome to the Silvia club! Im sure itll serve you very well and will hold off upgraditis for a while yet! They have their quirks like all machines but itll be a good step up.

Definitely invest in a good grinder when you get the chance.

Comment

Congrats on the new machine. I got mine at the end of June and have been loving it since (replaced a Gaggia Carezza).

Please allow me to second Greg - get a decent grinder for Ms Silvia. I went with the Iberital Challenge and it has served me very well (and is great bang for your buck at around $280).

Anyway, if you got any queries or comments about your new machine and experience, please feel free to share it and theres quite a few of us Silvia owners around CS that will be more than happy to have a chat!

Cheers,
      Ben

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome.....yes a grinder is definitely next up, and sooner rather than later. I will look at the Iberital. From the reviews Ive read it seems to be a good match with the Silvia and the price is certainly attractive. I thought Id need a Mazzer or something in that price range, but youve steered in another direction benandfaith - so thanks for that. Sub $300 sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by SamR link=1190417251/0#3 date=1190509935
          Thanks for the warm welcome.....yes a grinder is definitely next up, and sooner rather than later.  I will look at the Iberital.  From the reviews Ive read it seems to be a good match with the Silvia and the price is certainly attractive. I thought Id need a Mazzer or something in that price range, but youve steered in another direction benandfaith - so thanks for that.  Sub $300 sounds great.
          Hi Sam,

Most here would recommend that you purchase the best grinder that you possibly can. Sub $400 generally gets you an appliance. The Iberital is a very good grinder for the money but is probably not a long term option- when it breaks you will probably turf it- therefore losing what was spent on it. On the other hand, something like a Rocky will sell for $300+ if you decide to upgrade, so your cost of ownership is $100 or so. This is a compelling argument for dipping a tad deeper into your pocket.

Also, if you go higher, you get replacable bits and something which can be retained if/when upgraditis inevitably sets in. I am personally not particularly keen on doserless as I prefer to grind through a doser to overcome any static and clumping issues. It also allows the opportunity to multi-task grinding coffee for the next cup whilst I am at the machine. I believe that I dose much more consistently through a doser when I grind to order. That said, I would not own a Rocky doser- too many issues with it.

If you like the sound of fingernails on a blackboard, you will love the Iberital

2mcm

Comment

Welcome to the Silvia Club, you will get great joy out of this machine. I joined the club 3 months ago after a Saeco Via Venezia. It has been an experience learning how to get the best out of Silvia but well worth the journey. At the moment I am using a Sunbeam grinder and getting excellent results, but I dont know how long it will be consistent. Until then I will persevere and then maybe have enough bucks for a Rocky.
            cheers
            Greenman

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1190417251/0#4 date=1190510671
              Hi Sam,

Most here would recommend that you purchase the best grinder that you possibly can. Sub $400 generally gets you an appliance. The Iberital is a very good grinder for the money but is probably not a long term option- when it breaks you will probably turf it- therefore losing what was spent on it. On the other hand, something like a Rocky will sell for $300+ if you decide to upgrade, so your cost of ownership is $100 or so. This is a compelling argument for dipping a tad deeper into your pocket.

Also, if you go higher, you get replacable bits and something which can be retained if/when upgraditis inevitably sets in. I am personally not particularly keen on doserless as I prefer to grind through a doser to overcome any static and clumping issues. It also allows the opportunity to multi-task grinding coffee for the next cup whilst I am at the machine. I believe that I dose much more consistently through a doser when I grind to order. That said, I would not own a Rocky doser- too many issues with it.

If you like the sound of fingernails on a blackboard, you will love the Iberital

2mcm
              Personally, I dont find the Iberitals noise that objectionable (in terms of pitch) though it certainly prevents any sort of verbal communication while it is in operation! Good thing is that Ive trained my baby duaghter to sleep through it! But as most will tell you, get the best grinder you can afford. Id love to have a Mazzer/Macap, but at the time of purchase, this was completely out of the question (read: objections from the missus). However, on hindsight, like Chris has mentioned, Id have gone with a dosered model (I hate the mess of the IBerital, and I assume most doserless would create a similar amount of mess). I went for the cheaper option of the Iberital (over the Rocky and for other reasons over the Sunbeam) after lots of chatting around these traps - I guess you have to weigh it up for yourself based on the differing opinions from here (if everyone agreed, there wouldnt be need for different complanies would there?).

Anyway, this is the mid-range machine section, so I wont say anymore about grinders, but Im sure if you want more comparisons, just post in the grinder section and youll get everyones opinions, with lists of pros and cons which are great from a researching perspective!

Enjoy...

Comment

Working...
              X