Sunbeam EM6910 Steam Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 Steam Failure

My machine has been happily working away for 6 months or so producing an excellent brew when all of a sudden the steam pump has failed. Turn the dial and nothing happens - no pump sound whatsoever.

Rang Sunbeam and they will pick up to repair.

Anyone else had this problem??

Cheers,

Slikpick

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 Steam Failure

Yep... I have once... on a EM6900...

Comment

Unlucky ...

They should get onto it fairly quickly for you. Hopefully it is returned to you in no time.

Comment

i have that problem on my 6910... for the last 2 or 3 months i have to turn the steam knob carefully and slowly to get it to steam. sometimes i can hear/feel a slight click and know ive turned it too fast or too far and it stops. been meaning to send it back for repairs since it also needs a valve fixed so it stops squeeling and releasing steam when its warming up but havent got to the point that im happy to be without it for up to 4 weeks while it gets repaired...

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper69S link=1190608338/0#3 date=1191385852
          been meaning to send it back for repairs since it also needs a valve fixed so it stops squeeling and releasing steam when its warming up
          This is actually quite normal!

Comment

Originally posted by MarcS link=1190608338/0#4 date=1191392087
            This is actually quite normal!
            yeah the repair guy explained to me that it was no problem since it was only releasing pressure during the warm up phase, not while pulling shots or anything, but he did say that there was a new valve that would stop it happening but he didnt have any in stock.  I dont believe it started doing it until 4-5 weeks after I bought the machine, and the sunbeam people didnt say anything about it being normal when i called the warranty line.
            Anyway its been like it for over 6 months now so Im not bothered, but if it goes back to get the steam thing fixed i might get them to have another look...

regarding this steam knob fault though, i dont know what the electronics behind it consist of, but it feels like there are spring-loaded contacts behind the knob that spring back to the off position if I dont turn it slowly and carefully.   once it loses contact i need to turn the knob back to the off position and start again. i wont lose contact once i let go of the dial, only ever while turning it. 

although its a pain it kinda works ok, i just wonder if i may not be getting the full pressure out of it if the knob isnt grabbing the contacts at the right time????  Which got me wondering if theres ever a need to use the steam knob at anything other than full pressure.  the steamer on my old sunbeam 5800 was more on/off rather than a variable dial, so I got used to just cranking it full every time.  dunno if thats the correct way or not.  the 5800 seemed to do nicer foam (although a bit slower) but thats a discussion for another thread probably...

Comment

The EM6910 is an on/\/off thing as well.. the whole turning of the knob is a false economy. Theres a microswitch within the knob... on/\/off... nothing more...

Comment

The microswitch appears to be a safety device.
                When the knob falls off the steam pump cuts out.

Comment

After nearly 5 years of usage, the steam wand suddenly stopped working. I turn the knob and the vibration pump does nothing.

Fortunately, whilst SunBeam have a 12 month warranty on the EM6910, they also have a 5 year pump warranty.

I was totally rapt that the machine has come back fixed under warranty. Top marks, SunBeam! I dont know any other coffee machine manufacturer that gives a 5 year warranty on the pump.

The repairer also descaled my machine and it came back nice and cleaned on the outside, just like a new machine. Awesome!

Comment

I know I'm reviving an old post, but I've had the same experience as tempestv8 - my steam pump has just failed after 4 years and 5 months. Surprisingly, I had scanned a copy of the receipt which was lucky, since I thought it was probably out of the 5 year pump guarantee period. Just in, thankfully.

Without Coffeesnobs I wouldn't have purchased the EM6910 which has been amazing, and now Coffeesnobs has helped me out to get it fixed too! Can anyone comment on service sphere in North Melbourne? That's who I've contacted to see if they can help me out (they're fairly close to my office).

Comment

Working...
                    X