advice on descaling em6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on descaling em6910

Hi, just after some advice on how to descale my 6910 machine and how often. I live in northern W.A and our town water supply is pumped from underground and has a high calcium content. I use a carbon filter for water that is used in the machine. I backflush the machine often but I think I should be descaling regulary, any sugestions and types of products to use would be much appreciated. cheers Brett

Re: advice on descaling em6910

Hi brett....

Yep we in WA have the hardest water in Australia.... and bore water would be even worse....

Unfortunately carbon filters wont remove any of the hardness.... you need an actual water softener for that.... and here in WA the only ones worth considering are ion exchange....

Without a softener you will need to descale fairly frequently.... I believe Sunbeam have special chemicals for that (read expensive) but because of their quite unique construction - a stainless steel lined thermoblock - Id be hesitant to use the more conventional descalers..... which should work - but is probably risky.....

Fellow Sunbeam owners can probably give you some better advice on descaling.

Comment

The EM6910 has a Calcium filter in the water tank... Id replace them more often, instead of every 12 months, every 6 months. Theyre about $20 a pop. Give Sunbeam a call to clarify. Their Descaling solutions arent all that expensive and should be fine for the EM6910.

Comment

Off the top of my head I am pretty sure that the 6910 manual lists the use of white vinegar solution as a means of descaling.

Obviously depending on machine usage, try descaling every 3 months or so.

Comment

Page 32:

Descaling
          Scale is a surface build up of minerals that naturally occur over time in all appliances
          that are involved with the heating of water.
          Therefore the espresso machine will requireoccasional descaling. It is recommended
          that the espresso machine is descaled every4-6 months, this will vary depending on the
          frequency of use and water hardness.

Descaling solution
          Use any of the following when descaling the
          espresso machine:
          [ch61694] Sunbeam Espresso Machine Descaling
          Tablets (EM0010)
          [ch61694] Sunbeam Liquid Descaler (KE0100), or
          [ch61694] Vinegar Solution.
          Descaling the espresso machine
          Note: Ensure the espresso machine is turned off and the power cord is unplugged.

1. Remove the water reservoir and rinse clean.
          Depending on the descaling solution being used use one of the following:

A. Sunbeam Espresso Machine Descaling Tablets
          Fill the water reservoir with 1 litre of warm water and place a descaling tablet into the
          reservoir. Once the tablet has dissolved replace the reservoir, this takes about 5-7 minutes.

B. Sunbeam Liquid Descaler
          Fill the water reservoir with approximately 1.5 litres of water, add 1 capful of
          Sunbeam Liquid Descaler and replace the reservoir.

C. Vinegar solution
          Fill the water reservoir with approximately 1.5 litres of warm water, add 3 tablespoons
          of vinegar and replace the reservoir.

2. Should the group handle be attached to the group head remove it, rinse thoroughly
          under running water and set aside.

3. Using a screwdriver unscrew the brewing filter/shower screen from the underside of the group head.

4. Remove and set aside the filter/screen and screw in a safe place.

Important: Be careful not to lose the filter/screen and screw once you have
          disassembled the group head.

5. Place a sufficiently large container under the group head.

6. Insert the power cord into a 230-240V AC power outlet and switch the power ‘ON’.
          Press the ‘POWER’ button once to turn the espresso machine on.

Note: Remember if the ‘POWER’ light is flashing green this indicates that the
          espresso machine is on and is heating up.
          When the green light above the ‘POWER’ button stops flashing and turns to a constant red light this indicates that the espresso machine is heated and ready to use.
          Additionally the lights above the ‘MANUAL’, single and double espresso buttons will show a constant green light.

7. Press the ‘MANUAL’ button and allow half the solution to cycle through the group head and then once again press the ‘MANUAL’ button to stop the flow.

Important: Do not run descaling solution through the steam wand.

Note: As a safety mechanism the espresso machine is programmed to automatically stop
          the water flow after 240mls, therefore you will need to press the ‘MANUAL’ button again
          to restart the water flow.

Comment

interesting... i have always used vinegar to de-scale the kettles.. and i think i asked about it in one of my earliest posts.
            acetic acid and citric acid do the same job on lots of things, why not in the espresso machine?

L

Comment

Vinegar works as a descaler, but it is not odourless, so is not often used, especially in larger boilers or in any boiler that may have a slightly porous surface. Other descalers have far less odour and so are preferred.

So for stainless steel, which isnt likely to be porous, vinegar should work fine. Brass and copper are a different story.

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Hah! Ala Shannon Lush, home remedies come to the fore! Im sure bi-carb o soda could be an instrumental additive somewhere here ...

cleanliness next-ta GODliness

Comment

Thanks for the replys, ill give the vinigar a try on the weekend, cheers

Comment

Ive tried most of the DIY mixtures, with varying success.

But when i bought the 6910, I figured it deserved a little respect.  So I bought some commercial descaler (and back-flush powder) from Coffee Parts, who are a site sponsor.

I am amazed how much gunk each of the products removes. The descaler is not cheap, but I save the water and descale my kettle and steam iron at the same time.

Comment

Hey good idea Toad...

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1191327427/0#4 date=1191407275
                        Page 32:

I hope you didnt retype all of that!!!

Ive just descaled using citric acid - 1.5 tablespoons in 500ml of water. Its what Ive used on my Saeco for years and seems to do the job as well as any of the branded descalers.
                        Had a scary moment reassmebling the filter because there was no picture in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by flatwhite link=1191327427/0#11 date=1192233490
                          Page 32:

I hope you didnt retype all of that!!!
                          Thanks.

No I didnt.

Comment

Originally posted by flatwhite link=1191327427/0#11 date=1192233490
                            Page 32:

Ive just descaled using citric acid - 1.5 tablespoons in 500ml of water. Its what Ive used on my Saeco for years and seems to do the job as well as any of the branded descalers.
                            Had a scary moment reassmebling the filter because there was no picture in the manual.
                            So it has been some time and you have done this how many times since ?
                            The results to date are ?

Further more, I use filtered water and have not changes the in-line filter in the water reservoir to date...

However it begs the Question How often if at all do you change this filter and do you leave it in when de scaling ?

Comment

I have just used the vinigar method in my machine and I removed the filter in the water tank before doing so. Everything went fine and I noticed a little bit of gunk in the water. My machine is about 3-4 months old.
                              There was no residual taste in the coffee or the water that was flushed through after the process.
                              It does state not to put descaller through the seam wand. At SB coffee school they only recomended back flusshing tha machine every day after use and dont bother about descaling. I am of the opinion that that is incorrect as it will not clean the thermoblock but will clean the releif valve by the fact that water (clean) is released through the 3 way valve to the drip tray removing any coffee oil build up. but does not go back through the themo block.
                              These are my thought only and have nothing to do with any others. I base my thoughts on a therotical knowlage and common sense therefore could be wrong and If anyone wants to correct me I will be happy to be.
                              Regards
                              Crisp Image

Comment

Working...
                              X