advice on descaling em6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: advice on descaling em6910

Sorry to necro an old thread. Just ran the descaling liquid from sunbeam through as instructed. However have put 6 litres of clean water through and still get a cloudy output. Followed the manual to a T.

I know hot water can be cloudy, is this what Im seeing? Certainly not soapy etc.

Comment

Re: advice on descaling em6910

I just ordered some descalling tablets on ebay. Also found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb0W2Ul2_3Y. Is that what to do with it? Also my machine is 3 or 4 years old - still going strong. Ive never descaled it before, how often should I do it?

Comment

Sorry to bring this up, but when descaling an EM7000, the manual says the group head shower screen is to be removed, washed and replaced before starting the cycle which seems to be different to the above instructions for the EM6910 (run the descale with the shower screen off)

So on an EM7000 do I leave the screen on or off when running the descale program

Thanks in advance
        Gerry

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry123 View Post
          Sorry to bring this up, but when descaling an EM7000, the manual says the group head shower screen is to be removed, washed and replaced before starting the cycle which seems to be different to the above instructions for the EM6910 (run the descale with the shower screen off)

So on an EM7000 do I leave the screen on or off when running the descale program

Thanks in advance
          Gerry
          G'day Gerry

It actually won't make much, if any, difference to the descaling process inside the machine.

I have used the white vinegar at one to two tablespoons per litre on any & all espresso makers since the 70's.

The main reason for leaving the showerscreens in place is to help remove the more persistent grunge which forms when coffee grounds and oils adhere to the showerscreen. In extreme cases they are incredibly difficult to remove. Leaving the showerscreens in situ actually helps them to become cleaner - which is always a good thing, never a bad one. Vinegar at 9 bar pressure can remove a lot of things that most other cleaners cannot deal with.

FWIW, I would leave them in place on any machine unless I had a really good cleaning regime and I knew they were already pristine.

TampIt

Comment

Thanks TampIt.. Do you remove the anticalc filter. Again in the em7000 manual it doesn't say to remove it when descaling...

Comment

Oh oh. Our faithful EM6910 has just stopped producing steam. Symptoms are a periodic squeak with a disharge of water into the tray and very low steam if any. The pump is making pumping sounds and we assume that the little water coming out the bottom means that it's working.

I've tried the suggested low heat/max wet + vinegar solution with virtually no improvement.

Guess it's off to find some commercial descaler and put her outside for a run tomorrow some time.

Any further advice?
              Thanks,
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry123 View Post
                Thanks TampIt.. Do you remove the anticalc filter. Again in the em7000 manual it doesn't say to remove it when descaling...
                G'day again Gerry

I removed mine before I filled it with my filtered rainwater for the first time (any machine since the '80's). The things taint the coffee unacceptably AFAIAC.

Yes, you should remove it before putting vinegar through it anyway - at the least it would be a lot harder to rinse vinegar out of the decalc filter whilst trying to get the rest of the machine free of the vinegar taste.

TampIt

Comment

Originally posted by paulsmithx View Post
                  Oh oh. Our faithful EM6910 has just stopped producing steam. Symptoms are a periodic squeak with a disharge of water into the tray and very low steam if any. The pump is making pumping sounds and we assume that the little water coming out the bottom means that it's working.

I've tried the suggested low heat/max wet + vinegar solution with virtually no improvement.

Guess it's off to find some commercial descaler and put her outside for a run tomorrow some time.

Any further advice?
                  Thanks,
                  Paul
                  G'day Paul

The first step would always be to remove the nozzle (unscrews on a 6910, right hand thread) and then see if that helps.

Noidle has reported that in "non West Oz states" things tend to block up / fail at the pump to thermoblock section. Surgery required.

No idea why, however in WA it is normally milk slurped up into the wand that creates issues. If the nozzle is blocked, try checking the lower part of the wand and see if it is blocked as well. Hopefully you can clear it up by using a pipe cleaner, perhaps dipped in some solvent. In an extreme I have removed the whole wand and used an ultrasonic bath to clean the worst of the gunk out of it. When even that failed I resorted to a last resort (too dangerous for CS "in the wild").

Hope this helps

TampIt

Comment

Thanks Tampit,
                    Had ruled out the milk/wand thing and cleaned the nozzle. I thought I'd clean prior to surgery and it worked. An afternoon's descaling session and she's right as right can be.
                    Best, P

Comment

Working...
                    X