Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me...Rancilio Silvia or Isomac Venus

Hi all,

Upgraditis has struck! (from Saeco V/V with u/p p/filter), Ive narrowed my finalists
    down to the above. Each seems impressive in its own way, but I do have a few
    concerns:-

From my wide reading, SILVIA is regarded very highly by many...reports of temperature instability worry me a little, need to temp surf etc., Is this a serious issue?

Regarding VENUS, all seems very positive except early reports of wide temperature
    variation, (reported mainly overseas) and dripping frother nozzles. Are these a
    concern to owners?

A Site Sponsor is providing me a demo with the Silvia in a few days time but before committing myself to Silvia, I really need to be clear which is the wiser choice.

I would greatly appreciate comments of c/snobs who own either of these machines, and if
    possible, anyone who has come to a definite preference having compared both machines.

Comments on reliability, need to temp surf, steaming performance would also be of great help
    in making my choice. ( I already have a fairly new Nemox Lux grinder.)

Thanks heaps in advance,

Trevorbeans

Re: Please help me...Rancilio Silvia or Isomac Ven

Hi Trevor,

Might I suggest that you have a look at the Vibiemme Domobar Levetta as well?

I use one as my spare and loan machine. Its a highly impressive piece of kit!

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion. Im aware of the machine but had not
      really considered it, being a manual lever job, I think...looks quite impressive, though!

Id really like to concentrate on opinions about the two machines Ive
      mentioned, but I dont have a closed mind.

May I ask what you believe I would be gaining with the Domobar, over either of the others...all information is helpful!

Thanks Chris for the quick response.

Trevor

Comment

Hi Trevor- have a read of my comments within this thread http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1185602789/15#15
        Chris

Comment

My take on differences between the two.
          Venus has a larger boiler with the group being part of the boiler this should suit PID control better than Silvias offset boiler/group. Venus has a replaceable element, Rancilio expect you to replace a expensive boiler and element combined but it has been reported here that a Melbourne dealer offers a changeover boiler with replaceable element(hoping I dont need to avail myself of this service). Venus should be the winner between the two but while Silvia has a nice OPV fitted where it should be on the intake side of the boiler bleeding off cold water, Isomac fitted the OPV on the top of the boiler bleeding off hot water which is replaced by more cold water IMO this tends to negate the advantage of a bigger boiler. Venus OPV cannot be adjusted down enough to the desired pressure without modification Isomac probably designed it this way to limit cold water infusion to the boiler. Venus steam tap is a needle valve, Silvias steam tap has a replaceable washer. Venus innards are built inside the body, Silvia is built on a chassis with removable panels giving better access for maintenance. If I had a Venus I would be looking to fit a different OPV maybe from a Zaffiro but access may be limited due to the design.
          All this is from info gleaned from the web so please feel free to correct me if necessary.

Comment

Hi Vicroamer,

Thanks for the information you have gleaned from the web.

I see you own a Silvia. May I ask how long youve owned it and what your experience of the machine has been? Any disappointments, etc.,

You see, my needs are pretty simple...to be able to make, fairly promptly,
            up to 3 doubles of milk -based coffees when the family come over for dinner, as well as the usual day to day single and double coffees.

My main intention is to be able to pull a better shot as the basis for the drink.

Thanks again,

Trevorbeans

Comment

Hi there. I have visited my folks a few times in the last few months and had a chance to play with their sylvia. This is the first boiler (ie. non Hx) machine I have used. Just a couple of comments re making 3+ coffees.

My experience was that I found the time involved in the transition from brew to steam frustrating - particularly when making any more than 2 milk based drinks. The silvia boiler can only steam enough milk for 2 drinks, and needs time to recover to do it all again. Im sure sylvia owners develop strategies to better manage the transition from brew to steam and back to back steaming - but I found it slow. Probably not really a big issue, Im just used to steaming while brewing. General comments on my expereince of using the silvia is that steam production was impressive given the size of the boiler inside, build quality is excellent - I was generally very impressed with the machine.

I have no experience of the isomac.

Comment

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that. Handy information!

Hmm...I can do a couple of doubles in fairly good time with my Saeco V/V, provided I temperature surf, and I was looking to improve on that, at the
                very least.

Id already arranged to have a demo with the latest Silvia with a site
                sponsor in a few days, so Ill be looking to check that aspect.

If worst comes to worst, I guess the shot quality, crema, etc should
                at least be better than the Saeco.

Regards

Trevorbeans

Comment

Ive got a silvia n rocky. .. always making my coffees in twos.. Ive had it for about 2 years now and its still great. Ive always looked around but nothing around this price range and as beautifully simple and sturdy.

Comment

Thanks amberosw,

I must say Silvia owners seem very satisfied with their purchase, at least
                    for the most part.

May I ask whether you have to temperature surf, ( ie work the boiler)
                    when you are stretching the milk, and is steaming performance adequate
                    in your opinion?

Thanks for your comments...as a last question have you compared the performance of your Silvia against other more expensive machines, say up to $1,200.00. Just interested.

Thanks again,

Trevorbeans

Comment

Tim0

I agree with you comments re HX vs SB [single boiler] but disagree that: "The silvia boiler can only steam enough milk for 2 drinks"

Unless youre making giant mugguccinos, 4 lattes is well within Silvias capability....................but It probably helps when you get to know the machine, and incorporate strategies like a quick bleed of the boiler during the initial steam warmup which will creat "room" inthe boiler and therefore a lot more steam.

The following link offers some good strategies for multiple coffees with SB machines:

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/challenge.html

Comment

Hi reubster,

I note your reply was to TimO...however, may I ask what your experience has been with Silvia, and what decided you on purchasing this machine?

From your perspective, having owned and operated a Silvia, would it be relatively easy to prepare say six to eight cappuccinos or lattes without
                        too much of a hassle? Also perhaps a comment on steaming pressure
                        would be helpful.

Thanks,

Trevorbeans

Comment

Originally posted by Trevorbeans link=1191914230/0#11 date=1192020278
                          Hi reubster,

I note your reply was to TimO...however, may I ask what your experience has been with Silvia, and what decided you on purchasing this machine?

From your perspective, having owned and operated a Silvia, would it be relatively easy to prepare say six to eight cappuccinos or lattes without
                          too much of a hassle? Also perhaps a comment on steaming pressure
                          would be helpful.

Thanks,

Trevorbeans  
                          Hmm :-/....Is it doable? Absolutely....Will you have a couple of birthdays while you get it done? Absolutely....

I hate to say it Trevor, but if youre talking eight, you really should be looking in HX territory. A Silvia is good for a couple and becomes slooooow after that. Id recommend saving some bucks and looking for an appropriate HX...

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments. I am retired and my max. budget for a new machine is around $1,200.00. I have, er... she has, other priorities as well, like boring bathroom renovations, etc.,

Im well aware of the capabilities of an HX machine...I operate a commercial Expobar machine every week at our Church cafe.

Just a thought. I note from your website that you sell the ECM Botticelli. In your opinion, would that machine give me more grunt than a Silvia?

All I am wanting really is a new machine with somewhat better espresso production and steaming performance than my u/p Saeco V/V which,
                            considering what it cost me two years ago, does a half decent job.

Thanks for any further input, Chris.

Regards,

Trevor

Comment

Originally posted by Trevorbeans link=1191914230/0#13 date=1192058181
                              Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments. I am retired and my max. budget for a new machine is around $1,200.00. I have, er... she has, other priorities as well, like boring bathroom renovations, etc.,

Im well aware of the capabilities of an HX machine...I operate a commercial Expobar machine every week at our Church cafe.

Just a thought. I note from your website that you sell the ECM Botticelli. In your opinion, would that machine give me more grunt than a Silvia?

All I am wanting really is a new machine with somewhat better espresso production and steaming performance than my u/p Saeco V/V which,
                              considering what it cost me two years ago, does a half decent job.

Thanks for any further input, Chris.

Regards,

Trevor
                              Hi Trevor,

I regret that the Bott is no longer available in Australia- but is similar in performance to the Silvia (but a little more temp. stable).

I think you should seriously look at the VBM Domobar levetta. 5x the boiler time of the Silvia, e-61 group with all the associated bonuses, sensational espresso and HUUUGE steam resources. It has a rrp os $1299 but we can do a tad better....

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X