Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic or Baby Dose.

Hey guys,
    Just found this site, seems like a really good place.
    Anyway, onto my predicament. I really need a quick answer.

I have been wanting to get a simple coffee machine for a while now and have been looking at getting the Gaggia Classic after seeing a lot of good reviews for it.
    Anyway my girlfriend knew this and surprised me with one today. However instead of getting the Classic she got the Baby Dose. She explained that she talked to the woman in the shop who told her that all the insides were essentially the same and this one had a few more options like the programmable dose feature. Also it came in red (which is why I think she was swayed in getting the Baby Dose). I had a quick look around and couldnt find much in the ways of reviews etc.
    Just wanted to ask you guys what you think of this machine. The reason being that I can swap it for the Classic if I want but id rather not have to, because I hate returning presents and it was a really nice effort of my girlfriend to get it for me.
    If however the Classic is so much better that I really should swap it, i would definitely consider it.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thanks heaps.

Re: Gaggia Classic or Baby Dose.

uhm...have you looked here...

http://www.gaggia.net.au/prod_baby_d.html#

Has the specs/features of both units for you to compare

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Ennis.

As soon as I saw your name I thought of...guess who?

Dennis!

And look what I found here.  :

Comment

Oh yeah - welcome from me too...lol

ennis, dennis - either is good

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1192610696/0#1 date=1192617917
          uhm...have you looked here...

http://www.gaggia.net.au/prod_baby_d.html#

Has the specs/features of both units for you to compare
          hey thanks for the reply.

I had a look at that site. Was the first thing I looked at. However I was hoping someone knew a comparison of the machines in a practical sense.
          If someone actually had more information or experience than just the product specs.
          I can see the Classic is a little more beefed up in the bars of pressure and the watts but is that gonna make a difference?
          Also does anyone know if the insides of the machines are the same?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Also thanks for the welcome guys.

Comment

I have a Classic - there are jokes made about my love for my machine.

To me - Electronics = danger will Robinson (they could stuff up) so I prefer the KISS principle.

If you feel you would rather the classic than change it over. If you explain it the right way to your girlfriend, I am sure she will understand.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ennis, happy to draw some practical comparisons for you on both models.

In Di Bartoli, we sell the entire Gaggia manual range, but have chosen only the Classic and the Baby Dose Red to be operative on our bench, as we found both to represent the best value for money.

There are few obvious physical differences, that no specs chart would tell you:

Steam Arm

Baby Doses arm is the same structure and Panarrello plastic device as the Classic, but it is ball joint, and not only swings to the sides as the Classic one. Pro: itll allow you better flexibility with your milk jug while frothing. Cons: you will NOT be able to modify eventually your steam arm with a Rancilio Silvia steam arm to reach a better control over your milk texture and create a micro-foam in you jug for Lattes & flat whites. This is a step taken by many Classic owners, whore flat white lovers. If youre a Cappuccino or black coffee drinker, that would not be an issue.

Less obvious differences:

Opening the cover of the dose, you find few pleasant surprises which are not present in the Classic. Apart from its 250 ml Aluminum boiler, it has also a dedicated thermoblock for steam, (one pump, T-intersection), which means that: from brewing to steaming, light would flush for few second and immediately you will get a sufficient steam power in the right temp to steam your milk. Pros: itll be an immediate steam Cons: it may not be powerful enough for those 1 litre Jugs or for a second milk jug. Itll also take few seconds longer to steam than the Classic which would provide you more power.

The Baby Dose also has a Pre-infusion feature: few drops of water are generated prior to the actual brewing, which compact better the "cake" and result in a generally more consistent extraction even when variables were not followed adequately.

As said, it features programmable Dosage, which may or may not present a value to different users, but you can always override the volumetric features by using the manual coffee button for those "specially customized" coffees. On the other hand, once set the volume for your preferred coffee and preferred cup size, you can always walk a way for a second putting the roast in the oven, while the machine is doing its thing.

Yes, body is ABS and not metal, long term it may not prove as durable as the Stainless Steel of the Silvia, but no doubt it is a statement in any kitchen...

Apart fron tha: same size of boiler (note: Aluminum tends to corrode easily, recommended filtered water and frequent cleaning), same heating element.

Bottoem line: if you / your girl friend are a Latte / Flat White lovers, consider seriusly changing to the Classis, otherwise the Panarello would not give you much joy.

If black coffee or Cappuccinos is yout favourite, Id stick to the Baby because of its immediate steam, Volumetric Contol, Pre-infudioan and great look!

Happy to relate more in details to any point mentioned above, Please feel free to call me on: 02-9389 9892 or PM with any questions, If in Sydney, feel free to drop by our store and see both machines in action!

Hope that was helpful, Ofra

Comment

Wow thanks for the amazing reply.

That was so useful. I had a look at your shop and it looks amazing. I might come buy just to check out everything you have.

So basically I have to decide but that made my decision a lot better. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Also if your up for it. What kind of grinder would you recommend to use with these two machines?. Im on a pretty tight budget so something around 200 dollars or less would be good (if thats possible).

Thanks again.

Comment

The classic has a OPV valve, adjustable on the later ones, plastic bodied babies lack a OPV, though I dont know about the Dose variant. Maybe someone more familiar with the dose can elaborate.
                    Im a bit of a OPV freak after struggling with 15 bar pressure on a previous machine.

Comment

Ennis - I would recommend a Gaggia MDF grinder. They are priced around the $300 mark in most places, or if you have a chat with di Bartoli they will be able to help you out. These are great grinders and will suit you well. Be very careful of the cheaper grinders like the Sunbeam (under $200) as the Gaggia is a commercial based machine and you will have a lot of difficulties getting a decent grind for these machines. There have also been a lot of consistancy issues with the sunbeam too.

The other grinder is the Iberital challenge. I do not have one of these, nor have I used them, but they are very popular.

Comment

Ennis,

One piece of advice youll get given here before long is to make a good grinder a priority. If I had $1500 to spend on espresso equipment (which I dont! :), Im certain I would get better results if the majority of that was spent on the grinder rather than on the machine. However I understand that all must be done to a budget.

I would second Lucindas recommendation of the Iberital Challenge, however that will be more like $300 (where are you located? Some of our sponsors sell this grinder). Another one to consider is the Sunbeam EM0480 which is a nice looking unit and readily available for under $200. Its definitely good value for money, but do a search for it here on CS and youll find that they dont last ALL that long and tend to drift out of grind after a while. Unfortunately while $200 seems a reasonable amount of money to most of us, it doesnt buy an awful lot of grinder, so whatever you get at that price will involve some reasonable compromises somewhere. Of course there are blade grinders around for $10 but dont even consider those; youll never get any consistency in particle size. Were talking burr grinders here.

Good luck!
                        Greg

Comment

Typo...The boilers are 3.5oz =apprx. 105ml not 250ml

cheers

Comment

Hey thanks for all the replies guys.
                            Im currently located in Sydney if that helps.
                            Also it looks like I might as well buy something around the 300 dollar range that you guys mentioned. If its gonna make that much more of a difference its only another 100 more.
                            Would anyone have anything to say in choosing between the Gaggia MDF that someone mentioned and the Iberital?

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Id recommend contacting Di Bartoli, one of our site sponsors who is listed on the left of your screen. Theyre located in Sydney and carry the Gaggia range. Ive heard some people say the MDF isnt really that good for espresso, but Lucinda has one and would disagree with this. Di Bartoli would be able to give you an objective comparison between the MDF and the Iberital, if they carry it which I *think* they do.

Between $200 and $300 you probably wont notice an enormous difference in grind quality, as most units in that range use the same sets of burrs; the big difference in that range (for example, a Sunbeam 0480 and a Challenge) will be in how long the machine lasts. Under snob home use, a Challenge (as well as possibly an Ascaso i2 and MDF) will last several years or more, the EM0480 probably a few at best and youll have to mod it and keep adjusting it to get it there.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X