• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breville BES820

The latest addition to the Breville range:

http://breville.com.au/coffee/cc_products_detail.asp?prod=438

Re: Breville BES820

Looks like a post from a Breville employee....

RRP of just under $600, Sorry, the Sunbeam EM6910 will eat this for breakfast!

Comment

Looks like a photocopied page....grubby and smudgy corners and print

Comment

Gidday - I am not a Breville employee. Love these forums

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox of Thrift link=1193617073/0#3 date=1193618481
          Gidday - I am not a Breville employee. Love these forums
          Well, if your very first post on this forum was declaring a new Breville Model doesnt look sus, I dont know what is...

:

I personally dont think its a problem if you were....

I do think its audacious to publicly declare a product like this @ $600 a pop and not have Commercial sized PFs and only one Thermoblock, which isnt lined with SS and still pushing the Crema Enhancing rubbish??

Comment

I was planning on buying the ~$400 Breville machine based mostly on looks until I did some research and realised that theyre basically overpriced cr@p.

Assuming this machine uses dual-wall baskets from ("Advance Dual Wall Crema Filter System") - what the hell use is a pressure gauge?

Comment

Exactly M@ ... and for $600, get real!

Comment

Actually, if you look at the group collor and compare it with the cheap IKON machine, the IKON machine has a more robust all metal, whereas the 800 series doesnt look no where near as strong and durable... this is often overlooked....

If you look at the cheaper sunbeams and brevilles, the groups are plastic! No updosing allowed!

Comment

And they call this their "Professional" model :-?

Comment

Based on value rather than retail price, perhaps a mod should move this thread to Brewing Equipment - Entry level (sub $500)?

Comment

Yep,

The "Ikon" walks all over this series of machines..... Doesnt look as though they learned much from the design and engineering of this one. Oh well, another t/block to add to the junk pile (excepting SB 69xx machines of course ),

Mal.

Comment

I must say, while they may not be producing the best machines on the market, I was pleasantly surprised by the The Art Of Making Coffee section on their site http://breville.com.au/coffee/cc_theart.asp. I was expecting the usual froth the milk till it looks like fairly floss, extract 200ml of espresso drivel, but I think wed agree with almost everything they say. They even make references to a single tamp and avoiding channelling (drilling). Most surprised!

Now if only they made machines that allowed one to successfully implement all that! :

Comment

Thats where I found the BES820. I had a look at the Ikon and read the thread on this site.

Youll have to forgive me because Im a novice. I stumbled on this site when using google to research coffee machines.

What should I be looking for with regard to the thermoblock?

Comment

Sunbeam EM6910 is the only thing with a thermoblock worth considering; and if youre considering spending that sort of money then youd also want to consider the Rancilio Silvia. Compare the two at http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/ as theyre quite different machines with quite different capabilities at a similar price. Either would leave any Breville for dead, including the BES820.

The Gaggia Classic and Baby Dose are a bit cheaper than both and some members here like them. I personally am not a big fan as they have aluminum boilers which corrode, however most the thermoblock machines apart from the Sunbeams mentioned above have aluminum thermoblocks; so its much of a muchness on that count. However, granted that common weakness, at that end of the market Id take a boiler-based machine such as a Classic / Baby Dose over a thermoblock any day.

Greg

Comment

Thats outstanding - cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X