Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nemox dell Opera steam mods

Howdy

Just wondering if anyone else has attempted a steam wand mod for the Nemox? I found a couple of older posts relating, but none recently. I am particularly interested in Lachlans mod, but could this have contributed to the reason that machine gave up the ghost? (Just speculating- and risk managing!)

Re: Nemox dell Opera steam mods

What sort of mod have you got in mind? I had one of these a few years ago, good machine.

Comment

Hi Greg

Have a look at this post fro Lachlans mod

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1151416945

I know he ended up having major trouble with his machine, so I want sure if this mod had somethng to do with it.

Basically, I want to put a proper tip on to replace the froth enhancer. Lachlan goes into in detail, but you cant directly screw of the existing attachment and screw on a tip. This guy makes a wand replacement:

http://tominoz.50webs.com/Pages/coffewand.htm

But he hasnt replied to my emails.

Any ideas?

(BTW thanks for the advice on your site- I foudn it very helpful when I bought the Nemox!)

Comment

I dont recall the problem he had with his machine, but Im sure changing the steam tip wouldnt cause any problems. If the boiler can hold steam under pressure which it can, the only way the steam tip will affect that is how quickly it depressurises, which is moderated by the knob, so I wouldnt have any qualms about changing it.

BTW my machine didnt have that tip so sorry I cant help on the specifics of this mod, or Id have put it on my site. Glad you found it useful though!

Greg

Comment

No worries. I think Ill just have a gamble and do it!

In relation to that- would it be better to go for a 10mm tip (i was thinking a 2-hole) or an 8mm. Is the 10mm to large for a machine the size of the Nemox/Mokita?

Comment

Lelit PL042 has a tip different to nemox why not give the Lelit distributor a try.

Comment

10mm! I think the diameter of the steam wand itself was about 10mm so if you want a hole that size just remove the tip completely! From what I can remember of the steam tip (cant say I ever measured it or looked at it that often), the one hole was probably 1-2mm in diameter. At that size it has plenty of power without being overpowering so Id be cautious about going too much bigger else youll probably blow most of the milk out of the jug. Also if the hole is too big and you have the steam speed turned down to compensate, you may not get enough steam velocity to get a good whirlpool.

The only alternative Id consider would be a 2 hole tip with each hole about 1mm if you can find something. But the one hole tip worked fine for me and is quite adequate for 600ml jugs. Really dont think youd need much more unless youre doing 1L jugs.

Greg

Comment

I used to own a machine identical to Gregs but without the grinder, and was considering a mod to the Steam Pipe at one stage. Basically along the lines of the work in the Tominoz link above but rather than replace the entire Pipe, was just going cut and insert an extension piece into the lower straight section.

That would be an easy task if you have even a basic home workshop setup. You could use a section of either Brass or Stainless 6mm tube as the extension and either get it re-chromed or polish up the Stainless to a chrome like finish. You could probably do the job in about an hour, so might be an alternative worth considering?

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

hehe Greg i meant the diameter of the thread (unless the 10mm usually refers to something else?). 2 hole sounds good.
                  Ill look into the Lelit tip, but my hunch tells me that I will be on the hunt for a metal lathe to fashion an extension for the existing tip. I found this great site:

www.emachineshop.com

that allows you to download a free CAD style program, create a custom part out of anything you want, and they will make it! pretty expensive for one-offs though.

Comment

Guess what you need is someone who has metal lathe, perhaps someone who makes tampers in their spare time or something like that Drop JavaB a PM, he may be interested! Id do it myself but I only bought the tools and tips I need for tamper making, so dont have any screw cutting stuff.

Comment

Thanks Greg- didnt want to presume the use of anyones tools

Besides, theres always a certain satisfaction in knowing you made it yourself (I suspect thats how you got into tampers in the first place...)

BTW I managed a fantastic whirlpool yesterday with the existing tip, but oddly I havent been able to replicate it again- even trying to match temp, position, steam strength etc. Even if I could, spinning the milk shouldnt be a sweat-inducing exercise in concentration, which it currently is!

Comment

Working...
                      X