Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam 6910 advice please

Hi all

I am on the verge of ordering a 6910 as it looks as though it will just suit my needs to the proverbial "T."

I have been using a simple Saeco Magic for about 2.5 years and it produces quite good coffee, certainly I have met very few coffee shop drinks that I would compare with my own production, but I admit I dont go seeking out gourmet coffee shops.

My major residual concern is that my wife and I like to drink our coffee in BIG mugs, about 150 mm tall and 90 mm diameter. I had to make up a modified drip tray for the Saeco to use them. And if they wont fit I can see lots of "Why did you get that/spend that much money when we cant use our favourite mugs"

So can anyone advise me as to whether I am likely to be able to use these mugs, or do I need to start an educational campaign, or get used to brewing into a small vessel and transferring to the larger one?

My major reason for upgrading is the ability to texture milk while brewing when we have guests, as the steam capacity of the Saeco is pretty limited - copes with about 200 ml of milk, then has to be refilled with water and then wait to heat up again.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Russell

Re: Sunbeam 6910 advice please

Hi

I just took a look at my EM6910. From Drip Tray to Group Head is about 100mm. If you modified your portafilter to go naked, you would have about 130mm.

If you removed the drip tray, you would get about 145mm so could probably fit the cups in, but then end up making a mess.

Time to invest in new cups?

Ben

PS you should have no problems with steam capacity at all.

Comment

Russell,
      I use smallish glasses about 150ml to do my pours into so I can see when blonding starts etc.
      Then if I am making a largish coffee for someone I transfer the coffee over.
      Buts thats just how I do it.

Comment

Thanks, all

I now realise the typo in my first post, the mugs are 105 mm tall, not 150! [smiley=embarassed.gif]

OK, now just have to further research sources. At present Bing Lee looks the best offer.

(Lower Hunter District/ Lake Macquarie, NSW)

Maybe a couple of dollars cheaper at one source I saw online, but probably better to have someone to complain to if I do have problems.

Russell

Comment

Russell....All I can say is dont procrastinate any longer go for the 6910 you wont be disapointed.
          Best cups i found are bodum glass ones i have 2 setss 1 set @ 9cm and the other @ 12cm. Also found that a standard coffee mug will fit.

When we bought our 6910 we took the mug to the shops with us and put it under each model that we were thinkin of buying. Looks dorky I know but its the best judge.

Comment

Hi russelb yeah like the others I say get the em6910 I got one in August with the matching grinder great combo. As for the mugs I use a variety, my favourite is ceramic latte cups you can preheat them. This gives the coffee that hot feeling without the coffee actually being to hot

Comment

Hi Russell,

The 6910 is a good machine at the price, so I guess price is a fairly big factor in your decision. If you want more information about the 6910, have a look at www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/sunbeam-silvia/. Its a review of the 6910 and the Rancilio Silvia, and while you may not be interested in the comparison with the Silvia, the information about the 6910 may be of interest to you in helping make an informed decision.

Good luck!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by russellb link=1196407894/0#0 date=1196407894
                Hi all

I am on the verge of ordering a 6910 as it looks as though it will just suit my needs to the proverbial "T."

I have been using a simple Saeco Magic for about 2.5 years and it produces quite good coffee, certainly I have met very few coffee shop drinks that I would compare with my own production, but I admit I dont go seeking out gourmet coffee shops.

My major residual concern is that my wife and I like to drink our coffee in BIG mugs, about 150 mm tall and 90 mm diameter. I had to make up a modified drip tray for the Saeco to use them. And if they wont fit I can see lots of "Why did you get that/spend that much money when we cant use our favourite mugs"

So can anyone advise me as to whether I am likely to be able to use these mugs, or do I need to start an educational campaign, or get used to brewing into a small vessel and transferring to the larger one?

My major reason for upgrading is the ability to texture milk while brewing when we have guests, as the steam capacity of the Saeco is pretty limited - copes with about 200 ml of milk, then has to be refilled with water and then wait to heat up again.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Russell
                NON pressurised baskets..... Followed by

GRINDER ..... SAY AGAIN... GRINDER (and fresh beans of course)

On Sundays my wife and I enjoy a large Coffee.... Thus we use LARGE bowl type coffee mugs... No problem with size...

Thing is that ya need a double shot and almost a full jug of milk.. However the Sunbeam manages this with ease...

Problem is, as it is that it is one of who gets their coffee first :-) For me that often means a quick straight shot to get the shakes out of the way... Then I serve her coffee and she is OK... to sip until I sit down with my big mug... Note: For me the tide is out when it comes to the milk.

Comment

just got em6910 + grinder, top machine so far, coffee has improved 200% in 3 days, going to coffee class saturday, hope fully that will improve it even more. a lot to learn(especially frothing) but already pulling better shots than some cafes i have been to.will keep you posted.

Comment

Welcome liamlad.

Hopefully by Sunday youll be pulling better shots than MOST cafes you have been to.

Comment

Go for it (EM6910) it is a beast for the price (599 in perth at the moment)- and make sure you use a decent burr grinder -

I have been able to fit rather large coffee mugs under the spout - anyway - you could always take out the drip tray to give you another inch!

Enjoy,

RUnfaSt

Comment

quick update, got a pullman tamper off greg yesterday, top bloke, top tamper, improved coffee again, getting quite good now, only problem is the missus is better, bit of a competition going on at the moment, might have to hide the tamper.

Comment

did the sunbeam course yesterday,interesting in places,nice coffee there though. getting better daily, basically practice makes perfect. sunbeam machine is very good , makes very good coffee ,still working on the foam part though.

Comment

Keep practicing on the foaming its all in the method, read some posts on steaming and any handy hints. The jug is important 300ml or 600ml with decent spout for pouring and eventually artwork on top!!!!

Comment

thanks i will, next thing to get is a cow i think, going through milk like nobodys business.

Comment

Working...
                              X