Gone with a Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gone with a Classic

Well, Ive been finally angling to get a machine for a couple of weeks now and came across this site while digging up info on the net. Its been very helpful I must say.

All I have at present is a two cup plunger and a cheap blade grinder and I think weve still got a Braun dripolator that hasnt seen the light of day for about ten years now. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the Silvia is obviously highly rated and I managed to check one out in Grinders in Brissy earlier this week while working up here. Great coffee, and a well built machine, but Im not sure that I can justify spending that much at this stage (Im a bit of a techno freak, so a PIDd Silvia does have some attractions!). Perhaps an Ikon was a cheaper alternative, however I just managed to pick up a good s/h Gaggia Classic on the web today for a fair bit less than new, so that will be a good start. Clean it up, flush it out and should be good to go.

No doubt off to get a Silvia steam wand asap I guess, not to mention a new grinder, either a SB480 or maybe a Rocky. Will report further!!!

Thanks again.

Re: Gone with a Classic

Originally posted by mjs link=1197454038/0#0 date=1197454038
    I just managed to pick up a good s/h Gaggia Classic on the web today for a fair bit less than new, so that will be a good start. Clean it up, flush it out and should be good to go.
    And very amenable to a PID upgrade :..... Turns the Classic into a very high performing little machine. Welcome to CoffeeSnobs mjs.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Will look forward to reading about your progression along the road to coffee nirvana in the coming weeks and months ahead. The Rocky is a great little grinder and so are quite a few others, have a read through this thread before making a commitment.

All the best,
    Mal.

Comment

Welcome to CS MJS enjoy your coffee journey and share it with fellow CSers along the way!!!
      But beware this is a very addictive site..........................................

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1197454038/0#2 date=1197493359
        Welcome to CS MJS enjoy your coffee journey and share it with fellow CSers along the way!!!
        But beware this is a very addictive site..........................................
        so Ive noticed  

Comment

Awesome choice....

I had the exact same issue....silvia or classic.

I ended up with a classic but immediately after my purchase they lowered silvias price to 545cdn with a PID i was looking at 780ish inc..taxes.

I was upset because cost was the only issue i had.

However, after adding the PID/steam wand/triple basket & cut porta
          i am extremely satisfied. People say all gaggias are built the same. NOT.
          Ive had 4 lower end models and the classic is built like a rock.
          My cost was $400.00 (4mth old classic), total mods $150.00

Here is a pic of mine...if youd like further info on my additions just email.

cheers!

Comment

MJS, not sure if you have a decent grinder yet, but you will need to get at minimum a Gaggia MDF or Iberital challenge.

The blade grinder just will not cut it with the classic.

I have a Classic and MDF and get great results. When I was researching what my next machine would be I found that a sylvia was more a sideways step then a step up. So I am moving up to a HX machine when I get the finances together to do it.

Good luck with your Classic and if you need any help feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1197454038/0#5 date=1197682434
              MJS, not sure if you have a decent grinder yet, but you will need to get  at minimum a Gaggia MDF or Iberital challenge.

The blade grinder just will not cut it with the classic.

I have a Classic and MDF and get great results. When I was researching what my next machine would be I found that a sylvia was more a sideways step then a step up. So I am moving up to a HX machine when I get the finances together to do it.

Good luck with your Classic and if you need any help feel free to ask.
              Actually picked up a Rancilio Rocky this morning for a good price XXX in Mlebourne. Matter of fact, they had a great deal for the Silvia/Rocky combo for Xmas which made me hesitate for a minute. Ill go with what Ive got for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by mjs link=1197454038/0#6 date=1197701388
                Actually picked up a Rancilio Rocky this morning for a good price XXX in Mlebourne. Matter of fact, they had a great deal for the Silvia/Rocky combo for Xmas which made me hesitate for a minute. Ill go with what Ive got for the time being.
                Congrats mjs.

Your reference to the non sponsor supplier removed...

Perhaps you could have approcahed a local sponsor and given the opportunity to match/better the price- you might have scored some support and after sales service as well... ::-?

Enjoy your new kit..

Comment

First report back ...

Well, not too much stuffing around to get pretty good results.

The Classic was second hand but in pretty much as new condition. Got a SS tamper and with a bit of experimentation, a grind setting of 4 on the Rocky and I guess medium tamping seemed to give good results in about 25secs. Perhaps the crema is still a tad less thin than I imagined, but Ill work on that. Trouble is Im still commuting for work out of the State, so I cant get at the machine again till Thurs evening.  >

Probably cant get ideal micro-foam with the froth enhancer thingy on the steam wand, so that will go shortly. Apart from that the Classic seems to work well. Pretty impressed with the Rocky. At 4, the grind is clumping a bit, no static to speak of, porta filter fits well in the doserless bracket. Currently using the beans that came free with the grinder. Obviously will try some others shortly.

My wife, who professes not to not machine made milk coffee drinks, said "thats very good". I nearly fell over. Even made a hot chocolate for my son, who said it was great. So, a good start.

mjs

Comment

MJS,
                    take the froth enhancer of the steam want and just use the little plastic dooverlicky and you will get fantastic microfoam. It will take a little practice, but it will happen.

The crema issue has to do with the beans you are using. Supermarket beans, or beans that are older then three weeks will not produce a decent crema. Until you start roasting yourself, the site sponsors are good roasters.

Get yourself a Pullman tamper, Even with the SS tamper you may find you have to double tamp eg fill half the basket, tamp, then fill the basket and tamp again to get best results. One of Gregs tampers will solve this issue and you will get great results every time.

You also need to maintain your classic, it needs to be de scaled on a monthly basis using cafetto descaler.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Good luck and enjoy your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1197454038/0#9 date=1197854889
                      MJS,
                      take the froth enhancer of the steam want and just use the little plastic dooverlicky and you will get fantastic microfoam. It will take a little practice, but it will happen.

The crema issue has to do with the beans you are using. Supermarket beans, or beans that are older then three weeks will not produce a decent crema. Until you start roasting yourself, the site sponsors are good roasters.

You also need to maintain your classic, it needs to be de scaled on a monthly basis using cafetto descaler.

Good luck and enjoy your machine.
                      Not sure about the Gaggia brainiac that designed the froth enhancer. Its so long that its difficult to get anything other than a tiny milk jug under it. Anyway, Im getting a Silvia replacement wand on Friday

Beans came from where I got the Rocky, not sure how fresh they are as they came out of a huge container. So, Ill try some other supplier shortly as you suggest.

I have some descaler stuff from Gaggia that I have not used yet, as I wanted to see how it performed first before descaling. So thats under control as well.

Thanks for your comments.

All good.  ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by mjs link=1197454038/0#10 date=1197855539
                        Beans came from where I got the Rocky, not sure how fresh they are as they came out of a huge container.
                        Id hazard a guess and say that you might be lucky :-?, if you just happened to buy your beans immediately after the container was filled from the roaster :. Beans stored like this are not going to stay fresh for long mjs so when you start canvassing around for likely replacements, try to locate a roaster who knows what theyre doing, i.e. puts the roast date on the bags and uses 1-Way Valve Bags, not paper bags, folded aluminium foil type bags or any other poor excuse for coffee storage >.

If you buy a Brown Sample Pack from Andy, you will not only get yourself some fantastic award-winning roasts but all the beans will be packed properly. I can highly recommend Andys roasts based on personal experience, ab-sol-ute-ly beautiful mate 8-) so do yourself a favour and grab some. All the best ,

Mal.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mal link=1197454038/0#11 date=1197869713]
                          If you buy a Brown Sample Pack from Andy, you will not only get yourself some fantastic award-winning roasts but all the beans will be packed properly.

Mal.
                          OK, dumb question, Andy is who ...?

Comment

[QUOTE=mjs link=1197454038/0#12 date=1197875179]
                            Originally posted by Mal link=1197454038/0#11 date=1197869713
                            If you buy a Brown Sample Pack from Andy, you will not only get yourself some fantastic award-winning roasts but all the beans will be packed properly.

Mal.
                            OK, dumb question, Andy is who ...?

Andys esteemed name has carried to the far-flung corners of the globe. It is mentioned in reverential tones. He is the discerning judge of barista-performances. It is the name on the cheques which owns and pays for this website.

It is the signature on the invoices which accompany the monthly green bean sales and roasted bean sales.

He posts under the name of....Andy. He is Andy Freeman....

Comment

clearly there are parts of the CS web site that I have not yet explored

Comment

Working...
                              X