Coffee Pods in a Gaggia Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Pods in a Gaggia Classic

My new Classic came with a pod filter basket. It looks similar to the single filter except the filter screen bit is a tad smaller.
    The shots taste rather thin although crema is reasonable. The filter basket would easily handle 2 pods.
    Anyone have success with the pods on a classic.
    The pods I am using are Saquella Gran Crema. I have quite a few packets so dont want to waste them. I originally used them in a Senseo pod machine :-/. Hence the reason for buying a "real" machine.
    Maybe I should just be happy pulling good shots and forget the pods totally :

Re: Coffee Pods in a Gaggia Classic

They were stale to start with.

Comment

Thundergod, I guess what you are saying is, that because they are already ground, even though sealed and within use by date, that they are in a similar class as preground supermarket coffee. Crap. That was my thoughts actually, soon after I posted this topic.
      I think my GreenBeaness may be starting to get roasted.

Comment

you have a real coffee machine now, so start to use real coffee!

to make good coffee you really should buy a good grinder too, and use fresh beans. it makes a surprisingly large difference. in the mean time i guess you can buy pre-ground from a good coffee retailer (at least where theyll grind it in front of you, so you know its fresh at the time). Preground wont last long before going stale, but its a start

Comment

The gaggia classic is not designed to take pods. you will not get a decent coffee from it using these things. You may even damage the machine.

There are a lot of threads about using the Classic and its likes and dislikes.

My recommendation is to get a Gaggia MDF grinder when they become available again (after xmas I have heard) and get coffee from a good roaster and you will be enjoying awesomne coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by hugz link=1197980141/0#3 date=1198018993

to make good coffee you really should buy a good grinder too, and use fresh beans. it makes a surprisingly large difference. in the mean time i guess you can buy pre-ground from a good coffee retailer (at least where theyll grind it in front of you, so you know its fresh at the time). Preground wont last long before going stale, but its a start
            Before I bought a grinder to take to work I preground at home with my Macap.
            One day I had some coffee left over so tried making a shot with it when I got home.
            By then it was about 11 hours old.
            It ran very, very fast and was thin and watery.

Make up your own minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1197980141/0#5 date=1198055457
              Originally posted by hugz link=1197980141/0#3 date=1198018993

Before I bought a grinder to take to work I preground at home with my Macap.
              One day I had some coffee left over so tried making a shot with it when I got home.
              By then it was about 11 hours old.
              It ran very, very fast and was thin and watery.

Make up your own minds.
              indeed, when i first became grinderless i was relying on preground coffee from a local cafe. every time i bought a tin, id invite everyone over so that i could use as much of it within the first few hours as possible. even so, id generally end up throwing 50% of every tin into the bin

Comment

Thanx all for the replies to my post. I was only interested in the pods because Gaggia included a filter holder for them and I had a couple of dozen pods left over from the Senseo. Interested to see how they went as I first thought if Gaggia put a pod filter in surely it mus work. Anyway as you guys have pointed out it is immaterial how the pods turn out now that I have Classic up and running.
                Thanx again for your interest and replies.

Comment

Are you sure it is a pod holder and not the single shot basket that could be mistaken for a pod holder as it has a similar shape?

Comment

The current Gaggia Classic comes with 3 baskets. The double, a single, and a special basket - same shape as the single, but with a smaller set of holes.The manual has a single ammendment sheet, telling you that the special basket is indeed for pods.

maybe fotos are in order

(just got our Gaggia last weekend - now still tring to figure out how to make coffee, instead of bitter brown liquid with crema )

Comment

Working...
                    X