Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6910 broken :(

Sunbeams looking after me, but it looks like Im in for a plungery christmas

I think the three-way valves gone; shes leaking from the right-hand side and from underneath.

Re: 6910 broken

Hang in their M@.

I used the plunger for a couple of weeks while the SUnbeam was in for repair.
    Youll survive.

Also, today, we had coffee and cake during a break in a team meeting.
    The boss decided it would be quicker if we made plunger, so she brought in a large one and I brought mine out too as I hadnt taken it home yet.
    Lucky Id brought in extra coffee this morning.

We plunged up enough coffee for the team and steamed some milk (sorry I know you cant) and it all went down well.

Look on it as an opportunity to learn something different about coffee.

Comment

Cheers TG, also though I might give turkish coffee another try - Ive had one great experience (bushwalking) and one very bad (at home). I think maybe the gentler heat of the trangia is less likely to burn it... Other than that, Ill just have to invest in a plunger or stovetop.

I might have to dig out the old Sunbeam 3500 from the back of the cupboard for steaming

Comment

Originally posted by m@ link=1198125050/0#2 date=1198203685
        Cheers TG, also though I might give turkish coffee another try - Ive had one great experience (bushwalking) and one very bad (at home). I think maybe the gentler heat of the trangia is less likely to burn it... Other than that, Ill just have to invest in a plunger or stovetop.
        Nope, I reckon its the outdoor ambience. A mate and I all but got washed out camping several years ago but by midnight we figured we were so wet already we may as well stay, a plan which required digging a water channel below our fire to stop it getting flooded and numerous other inventions to make life manageable. But I digress... part of the mornings breakfast included some ultra-strong espresso brewed in a plunger over the fire (the plunger was about 1/3 full of ground coffee!), and milk heated in an empty Pepsi can held over the fire by a stick on the ring-pull. We were both convinced the resultant brew was delicious, but I think it was more a reaction to simply drinking brewed espresso and hot milk out in the sticks, and to the circumstances under which we managed to get our bush latte, rather than the quality of the drink itself! ;D

Greg

Comment

Probably true Greg.
          I remember some coffee with whisky or the like made in the bush that has never been surpassed since.

m@ if you search for the CS post on turkish coffee youll read how to make one well.
          If you cant find it I could post it all again.

Comment

....interesting on how the environmental surrounding enhances the flavour of coffee or any other food/drink.

Comment

Yep and sometimes it can even be the company..

Late on a winters night on the beach, cold and wet with a good mate; even an instant made of floor sweepings has been known to be the BEST in the world. Some even go so far as to add a dash of Rum or Scotch (any sort), and claim it adds a god like quality.

Comment

I feel your pain M@. My 6910 was leaking in the exact same way, and dropped it off for the promised two week repair period 3&1/2 weeks ago, and it still is not ready. The only hope for a Christmas morning coffee has been a few phone calls and a promise it will be available for pick up tomorrow...maybe.

The only upside is trying plunger coffee, making me realise that I really do prefer espresso.

Mind you, I quit my job last week where they only supply instant, to move to another company that at least has a super auto. Maybe the caffeine cravings are really starting to take hold!

Comment

Mine had the same leak right out of the box. I couldnt wait to have it repaired so I stripped it down myself & discovered the hose exiting the 3 way & attaching to the drain had become detatched. I just re-attached it & no more probs. Also Ive managed to fix the gutless steam pressure! I replaced the factory steam tip with a 8mm Fine bolt, drilled it out to 1.2mm & the machine now textures milk better than my linea (albeit a lot slower!).

Comment

Picked up my machine yesterday arvo. Had a nice brew for Chrissie morning...happy days!

Comment

Im jealous! Picked mine up yesterday; two average lattes, a good flat white and a very good espresso later the problems back and worse than ever. Its also started buzzing loudly so I hastened to remove the plug from the outlet! Water and 240v make me a little nervous.

Hopefully the repair agent will take another look without a call to Sunbeam, I dont fancy waiting another week just to drop it off

On the upside, I had a very enjoyable Turkish coffee at Cooks Beach on the Frecinet peninsula. As Greg said, the ambiance definitely adds to the experience (or maybe its the unique flavour imparted by the flies and bits of bark?)

Comment

Getting seriously pd off here! Sunbeam are now passing the buck and telling me to deal with the repair agent myself - and this is after I saved them the cost of a courier the first time it broke by dropping off and picking up the machine myself. Far from the stellar service Ive come to expect.

Think happy thoughts...

Comment

Wats with sunbeam - they used to be good - but i rang them yesterday and asked about shim kit and also to purchase another double baskt and they said all enquieries should go thru you local service agenT!!!!! wat up??!!!!!

Comment

Interesting.
                            Ive been meaning to ring about a new PF spring.
                            There are no agents near me.

Comment

Thundergod, is the new spring what sits inside the PF? What improvement would that make?

Comment

Working...
                              X