My 6910 trips home power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 6910 trips home power

Ive had my machine for about three months and all has been well up to the last week. At the end of my shot when obviously the pump stops, my home safety swith trips. Using the hot water or steam function is perfectly normal.

Has anyone out there encountered this problem?

Would you think it is machine or home wiring related?

Would there be such a current surge to knock off a safety switch?

Your thoughts please.

Re: My 6910 trips home power

Hi,

At the end of the shot tripping the earth leakage breaker means there is a fault in the machine..... power is being applied to something (dont know if the 6910 has a 3 way valve - but I assume it has and that could well be the culprit) but that something is faulty and leaking to earth. It isnt a current surge - but a leakage to earth. (Electrical fault)

It has nothing to do with house wiring!

So back to Sunbeam for repair Im afraid!

Comment

Maybe there is an earth leak that is tripping it? (Machines fault)

I think the safety switches are set to go off if there is an active-earth leakage (ie. if you touch a live wire).
      I dont think a pump would draw enough current to trip a current based safety device.

Maybe try it on another power point in another room and see if it trips a different breaker.
      If it does I would say there is something wrong with the machine, or possibly your house is poorly grounded? (but then alot of other things like computers would sometimes do the same)

Comment

Beat me to it JavaB

Comment

Thanks guys, time to give Sunbeam a call.

Comment

They are on holidays until 2 Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by gmdnk link=1198799268/0#0 date=1198799268
              Ive had my machine for about three months and all has been well up to the last week. At the end of my shot when obviously the pump stops, my home safety swith trips. Using the hot water or steam function is perfectly normal.

Has anyone out there encountered this problem?

Would you think it is machine or home wiring related?

Would there be such a current surge to knock off a safety switch?

Your thoughts please.
              Without access to a "Meggar tester" it is hard to say...

However,

1: Doubt it is the House
              2: If it was over current (Heaters) then it should fail earlier
              3: It sounds like a fault in the 3way valve / water leakage that is causing leakage to ground.

Send back to Sunbeam with as SAFETY issue (what would have happened if no safety switch available?)... you may get a quicker response, as they Should be reviewing HOW it happened and to see if the Root cause is a one off, or could be systemic across other units of that batch etc.. That could result in a RECALL... This is an issue for all suppliers as covered under the States and National legislation around electrical safety.......

The leakage safety units are set to a nominated leakage in mA and monitor any leakage to ground..

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electricalsafety/livingaroundelectricity/safetyswitch/work/index.htm#safeswitch

Over current is around low resistance between A & N allowing heavy currents to flow. Thus if you get caught between A & N the leakage devices WILL NOT protect you.

My system will trip leakage and over current if I have the Toaster and cloths dryer on at the same time... Most things have leakage and with enough units on it is accumulative.

I work with this shit every day (Medical - AS3551 - much tighter as in uA not Ma, as the devices are directly connected to the bodys system). At home I test my safety switched every other day and often do work in bare feet etc... Where I know I have good systems in place. Strange as it seems, but I have been caught across A & N on more than one occasion, and it has only been the leakage across my body that has allowed the safety switches to kick in. Insulated Boots and a wooden ladder would have seen me fried......

However, where it is an unknown: Always MAX out on safety... I carry my own portable systems and it has served me well. Too many home jobs done by instructions off the WEB that are not only not legal, they are down right DEATH traps.

Comment

I wouldnt have thought it was the 3-Way Valve, since this is powered up at the start of a shot and isolated at the finish of same.... Either way, since the unit is still under warranty and given Sunbeams excellent warranty support Id do as has already been suggested and contact Sunbeam as soon as they return from their break. All the best......

Mal.

Comment

Yes - called Sunbeam and theyre away on Hols.

The authorised repair centres around Brissy are shutdown till mid Jan.

AM - youve scared the crap out of me.

Comment

Originally posted by gmdnk link=1198799268/0#8 date=1198887489
                    Yes - called Sunbeam and theyre away on Hols.

The authorised repair centres around Brissy are shutdown till mid Jan.

AM - youve scared the crap out of me.
                    Did not mean too.... However many forget that 240V is the RMS of a much higher Peak to Peak Voltage and thus many become complacent.

We use dangerous equipment every day in the kitchen and around the House, but products and House wiring has become much safer.. Thus a product that trips earth leakage is interesting... Electrical Stoves do it quite often.. but a device that has water flowing through it is always subject to a leak that will cause a situation that is unsafe... Thus the need for safety switches... OR bloody good insulation between self and ground.

I am on the Nth Side (4030) and happy to have a quick look, but my Mega tester is at work being calibrated over the break. Thus could only take some quick measurements as I would not like to get inside and possible infringe warranty.

PM me if your interested.

Comment

Had a sneak peek inside the machine before it goes off to the service centre and took a pic.

Can someone confirm that the white plastic piece that is separated and discoloured is the three way valve. Has this been the usual suspect for leaks?

Comment

Hi,
                        Just a quick 2c from a sparkys perspective; one other thing to consider is that Safety switches have a fairly low tolerance (and rightly so). Its only 30mA which isnt very much. For example, the steam in a household iron can flick the safety switch if it is overfilled super easy. (Hot tip, only fill your irons with water 2/3s full). AND also to note that it is not only Active shorting to earth. It is also Neutral shorting to earth that will trip most domestic safety switches. So in short, it could be steam/condensation after youve pulled your shot shorting between Earth and NEUTRAL as opposed to Active/Neutral, in a relay/switch etc.

Like AM said, its probably not an overcurrent problem (v.probably not ).
                        As far as elements go too; if there is a break in the element housing(albeit super small) this can easily trip the SS. Ive changed a lot of home Hot water elements because of this prob.
                        Im not so well versed in the wiring of 6910s but Electricity and safety switches (domestically) I know fairly well. Just some food for thought anyway.

Hope you get it sorted gmdnk, Im sure Sunbeam will get it sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by gmdnk link=1198799268/0#10 date=1199322281
                          Can someone confirm that the white plastic piece that is separated and discoloured is the three way valve. Has this been the usual suspect for leaks?
                          Im no expert with the SB6910 but that section you are referring to looks more like an Over Pressure Valve or just a simple junction piece. As the other guys have already stated, there are many modes of failure that can cause an RCD Protection device to operate. Taking photos is a good idea though but I would leave the repairs to the authorised SB agents. All the best gmdnk ,

Mal.

Comment

hi
                            looks like the compensation / bypass valve on the coffee pump has split. when the coffee pump is turned on it will leak water onto the electrics causing a short, and so tripping your earth leakage.
                            Not safe to use
                            dont tell mention to service agent you opened unit or your warranty will be void
                            graham

Comment

Working...
                            X