Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia boiler repair/replace?

Hi

I have an 02 model Silvia that decided to cark it just before Christmas, great timing...

When powered on, it says it is heating up, but nothing happens. I have checked and there is power to the element, but the ohmeter shows no continuity through the element. I took the boiler out and it looks sound, although there was a pile of grey soot on one side of the base. Not sure if it is just scale, or something more.

As the boiler and element seem to be a single unit, options appear to be limited.

I checked the coffeeparts.com site and they dont show the boiler as a purchasable part. They show an element that looks the same, but in a different config housing.

I searched the site and found mention of replacement boilers, and also of someone in Melbourne who can install elements in the boilers.

Looking for advice. Who sells the full boiler and/or is it worth trying to install a new element.

Cheers
    Peter

Re: Silvia boiler repair/replace?

Peter,

Apologies if you have already discounted this, but are you sure the element is gone?

I had a Silvia previously and it does have a trip switch that when activated, manifests very much like what you are describing.

There is a great post by Chris somewhere on exactly how to reset. Ill see if I can find it.

EDIT - Have a read here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1148872402/15 (the text in the picture telling you to slide the connectors off is not relevant to this issue)

Brett.

Comment

Brett

I was hoping it was the reset switch at the start, but dont think so. I reset it at the start, and the heating light was on, but no heat. I then also confirmed the 240V to the terminals. I have just checked all the thermostats and they all show continuity.

I had actually overridden the power timer the day before and had forgotten to switch it back off, so she had been on continuously for a day or more.

I might just put it back together enough to double check everything, but I suspect the worst.

Cheers
      Peter

Comment

Contact Chris at Talk Coffee. He has posted here he can supply a change over boiler with replaceable element, hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Peter,

Cosmorex will be able to supply a changeover boiler but they (boilers, not Cosmorex ) are extremely expensive.

I do have a Melbourne guy who will tap a replacement element into your boiler. We would however require either machine or boiler as he does not have changeover stock. Attilio may well be in contact with him as well....

regards

Chris

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone on my boiler replacement for the Silvia.

I hadnt realised Cosmorex were based in Canberra until I rang to get a price on a new boiler, $280.

But went out to see them and they were able to supply a reworked exchange boiler for a much better price.

Must say I was extremely impressed by their service. Great advice on what I had to do to fix Silvia. Didnt try to oversell me anything, in fact talked me out of a few things I was considering.

Came away thinking why arent more companies like that, and I know where I will go in the future for coffee or equipment.

Silvia is now working beautifully again, and with all the research I had to do, my technique has improved somewhat as well.

Now, do I need a PID? Rhetorical question, I can read all the related posts on this site.

So, thanks for your advice and heading me in the right direction, and big thanks to Cosmorex.

Cheers
            Peter

Comment

Great to hear Peter. Andy doesnt make a habit of taking on sponsors with poor business ethics and CosmoreX have the honour of being the first CS sponsor.

Occasionally people air views that its not really worth purchasing from site sponsors (just after theyve got a heap of useful information from a site paid for by the sponsors! :) because sponsors will be more expensive / less convenient than another supplier. Im yet to get a poor price on anything from a site sponsor, in fact I just bought a piece of equipment from a sponsor, Talk Coffee in this case, for comfortably less than the STARTING price of exactly the same item on evilbay AND I got a dispatch advice from the courier within 30 minutes of payment advising delivery expected next day interstate! Plus, you get excellent service, a business owner whos passionate about good coffee and somewhere reliable to take it in the event of a breakdown. Why go anywhere else?? ;D

Greg

Comment

Working...
              X