Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a new machine

Hi All,
    I am am new here from Perth and in need of coffee machine.

I am currently looking at a:
    1. GAGGIA CLASSIC
    2. Breville 800ES
    3. Sunbeam EM6910
    4. or some other recommendation

Can I get some advice please on whats the better machine for the long run.
    I kinda want to surprise my wife (who is a barista) with this for her birthday.

Re: Looking for a new machine

Hi DAF,

Im not sure that any of those machines are really built for the long run, although I have heard that some people have had the gaggia classic for quite some time.

It is interesting that you havent got the rancillio silvia on your list. If you search around on the internet, you will see that that particular machine has quite a following and it is certainly a machine that will last for quite a while.

Personally, I think that the shortlist machines would be the rancilio silvia and the sunbeam EM6910. The sunbeam has the advantage of being able to steam and brew coffee at the same time, as well as a variety of rather neat user friendly design features. I dont think that it is built to last, but your wife might find it more pleasant to use if you make milk-based drinks.

I hate to bring it up, but I really ought to check that you know that any espresso machine is basically 100% useless unless you pair it with a decent coffee grinder. The cheapest that you can get away with are, IMHO, the ascaso and iberital conical burr grinders at around $300 or so. Then there is a tier of grinders stretching from $500 up that offer a faster grind speed, better build quality, less noise and less mess, but probably not much of an improvement in the cup.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Hi Daf, I agree with Luca either the Silvia (which I have) or the Sunbeam 6910. Of the two Silvia will last decades where how long the thermoblocks last is anyones guess.
      If your wife is a barista she would probably like Silvia, once you learn her little traits she is easy to get along with. A good grinder is essential with any machine to get good espresso.
      Good luck with your search and decision.........................
      Trevor

Comment

Firstly, what is your budget? And you also need to factor in a decent burr grinder (not an EMO450) if you get the Classic. The cheapest you could get away with is a Gaggia MDF or Iberital challenge.

A Gaggia Classic will last for many years if it is cared for appropriately. It is based on a commercial machine and is Italian made. There are plenty of threads discussing it if you go through a few pages in this section.

I cannot speak for any of the others.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1199340800/0#3 date=1199364547
          Firstly, what is your budget? And you also need to factor in a decent burr grinder (not an EMO450) if you get the Classic. The cheapest you could get away with is a Gaggia MDF or Iberital challenge.

A Gaggia Classic will last for many years if it is cared for appropriately. It is based on a commercial machine and is Italian made. There are plenty of threads discussing it if you go through a few pages in this section.

I cannot speak for any of the others.
          Thanks for the response guys.
          I had budgeted around $900 but looks like I may need to stretch this a bit

CHeers

Comment

for $900-$1000 you could get a Classic/mdf combo

It will last you a long time and when/if you upgrade the MDF will see you through that.

Comment

Originally posted by lucinda link=1199340800/0#5 date=1199427631
              for $900-$1000 you could get a Classic/mdf combo

It will last you a long time and when/if you upgrade the MDF will see you through that.
              Thanks lucinda,

whats the steam like on the Classic?
              any particular quirks?

Cheers
              DAF

Comment

I have no issues with the steam, it is dry and hot and doesnt take very long to build up after you have poured a shot approx 30 secs or less. I have no issues steaming enough milk for two lattes, four if needed although I rarely do it.

The Classic is finicky over the quality of the grind and freshness of your coffee - which is why I recommended to two above machines and you need to get a good coffee supplier who has a high turnover of beans. Try some of the site sponsors on the left.

Oh and there is a horrible long plastic froth enhancer. Take it off and just use the shorter plastic doodad to steam with.

Comment

Yellooo...

I can provide much info on the classic as ive modified mine with a PID, Rancilio Steam Wand, Triple Basket to replace the double and cut portafilter. Ive got 4yrs experience with Gaggias having modified the Gaggia Espresso with similar upgrades. Ive used a Rancilio Rocky Grinder with the Gaggias. "Robusto" helped me out quite a bit
                  with my PID upgrade on my original Gaggia Espresso.

THe Rancilio & Gaggia Classic both require a PID for proper consistent temperature output. Both will give good results without it.
                  Click on PID in site sponsors.

I highly recommend both the Gaggia & Rancilio.

I created a blog dedicated to my upgrades and experience along with some vids of extractions using the Gaggia. Your welcome to take a peek.

http://praveen.nadaraju.googlepages.com/gaggia_espresso_modified

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by pravspresso link=1199340800/0#8 date=1199459099

THe Rancilio & Gaggia Classic both require a PID for proper consistent temperature output. Both will give good results without it.
                    Click on PID in site sponsors.

I am going to have to disagree with you here, these machines DO NOT require a PID for a consistent temperature. Practice, getting to know the idiosyncrases of your machine and how it works will get consistent results and great coffee.

This only makes it more confusing for someone looking for basic advice.

Comment

Hi guys,

After much reading of this very informative site, I think I will have to go a step further and go for a
                      Rancillio Silvia and a Iberital Challenge, this appears to be the best solution overall.

I decided against the Sunbeam EM6910 due to all the inherent problems I have read, so reliability could have been an issue.
                      I almost picked up a classic this morning for $510 but had a last minute change of heart after a PM from another member of this site, this appears to be a very fine machine and I have not really heard much bad about it.

Which left the Rancillio Silvia, everyone seems to have good things to say about this machine

Is there any extras I would really need for the Rancillio Silvia and Iberital Challenge combination?

Cheers
                      DAF

Comment

Gday DAF,

First thing that comes to mind is a decent quality Tamper, such as a custom fitted one from Greg Pullmans range. There are other makes of Tamper out there which would be ok but its hard to go past the perfect fit of a GP Tamper. You will also need to get a tub of Espresso Clean for regular back-flushing/cleaning of Silvias Group/3-Way Valve, and also for general soaking/cleaning of the PF and basket(s). A good supply of Chux to wipe down and clean the Steam Wand after milk texturing. That takes care of the essentials I guess....

Other items that might be helpful would be a Tamping Matt, a Knock-Box, a Digital Stop-Watch to get you into the ideal range for a pour, a Graduated Glass to measure 30/60ml shot volume, a Milk Thermometer to aid you in getting the milk texturing down pat and a couple of s/s Milk Jugs, probably a 300ml and a 600ml. Most of these items can be acquired from our good friends at CoffeeParts and other site sponsors. I guess there will be a hundred other little bits and pieces that will become apparent after youve been using your new setup for a while. This should be enough to get you started tough.

All the best mate and Happy Brewing with your upcoming kit.....

Mal.

Comment

Hi,

I have another question
                          which is easier to use, a grinder with or without a doser?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by DAF link=1199340800/0#12 date=1199582060
                            Hi,

I have another question
                            which is easier to use, a grinder with or without a doser?

Cheers
                            Hi Daf- perhaps have a read of the great grinder debate: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1178017304/0

I prefer a doser as I normally dose and collapse. It gives me somewhere to wipe the excess ground coffee to after the collapse, so is clean and economical. The doser also breaks up any clumps and removes static.

You will find that most CSers with doser grinders dont let them fill as we want the freshest coffee- we simply grind through the dosing champer (free dose).

Chris

Comment

Woot WOot

My new Kit arrived today
                              brand new
                              Rancilio miss Silvia and Macap M5 grinder

Big thanks goes to Attilio from CosmoreX Coffee for the sweet deal and all your help.
                              I will definitely be recommending them to my friends

!!! Now to learn how to drive the beast

Comment

Working...
                              X