6910 parts AFTER warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6910 parts AFTER warranty

As with all this talk of warranty work on 6910 (albeit MUCH less than 6900), im wondering now with my machine and others, which are OUT of warranty now, what to do if we have a problem... Ie the cost of a new machine quite low im not keen to pay even a $150 say service charge to a service agent.
    SO - do we know if we can get a parts list, and a full exploded diagram of 6910, and EVEN if SB will sell individual parts......
    thoughts?

Re: 6910 parts AFTER warranty

Im chasing them at the moment for a part for my grinder (0450).
    The girl couldnt find it in her parts diagram even though she knew what I was after.
    She said shed see if she could find one in "salvage" (that means 2nd hand from returned units).

So far they have been good to me.
    I recently received for free in the mail a 2nd hand PF spring because the one from the old machine at work was missing.

I think they are still feeling there way as far as spares go for the 69xxs.

Comment

yeah ok so it seems they can provide any part required?

Comment

No.
        That remains to be seen.

Comment

Rang SB again after no reply.
          The girl I spoke to this time did a lot of running around and checked with a very long serving staff member and finally told me that at the moment there are no spare parts for the grinder. >

Comment

evil SB

Comment

Originally posted by gaggiaboy link=1200222062/0#5 date=1200392744
              evil SB
              Sorry, but I disagree...

Sunbeam arent evil, they are just the manufacturers (well the firm which contracts manufacture to China) and wholesalers of a range of "appliances" - their grinders and coffee machines being but two of a large range.

When was the last time you had an appliance (of any manufacturer) repaired? More often than not during the warranty period it will be swapped with a new one. Why? Because they dont in general keep spares - and labour to repair an item here in Australia is more expensive than the item is worth. Storage costs for spares is high, inventory costs, stores personnel etc all cost a fortune.... and we are talking "value for money" - relatively inexpensive items.... (even if it cost you $1000 that is probably still inexpensive - due to cheap overseas manufacture).

My sister in law had a $5000 plasma TV (an appliance).... which failed after 1 year (but she had taken out extended warranty.... so figured all is good). Took it in for repair... got a phone call next day.... sorry cant be repaired - parts arent available!!!! When she asked about extended warranty she was told "Read the fine print - subject to parts availability".... and only a few spares were imported into Australia - they had all been used and the part was no longer being made.

She managed to get it fixed by a "dodgy brothers" back yard repairer who modified an old part from a differnt set and got it to work..... and that was a $5000 appliance - just over 1 year old!!!

Im glad Ive got a 20 year old La Cimbali non appliance- walk into the agents and all the parts are there... off the shelf and not too expensive either....

That is the difference between an appliance - and a real machine (dare I mention names like Silvia, rocky, mazzer, giotto..... the list goes on - none of which are appliances).

Good luck Sunbeam owners as your machines get older. They might have appeared to be value for money when purchased - but the total cost of ownership could be a fortune if you have to replace the machine when something fails.

Comment

What JavaB says must be correct. I went into ownership of my EM knowing that I was getting an appliance. I hoped (and hope) that it lasts (over 12 months now). If it lasts 2 years or more then I would he pretty happy given the low price I paid (about 1/2 to a third of the Silvia from memory) and the fact that it is a HX clone - ie you can steam at the same time as pulling shots and just keep doing same with no loss of temp or quality. I also learned a lot with this machine.

Mine has served many friends and clients and has done so very well, but if anyone expects that these machines will last as long, or will be supported with spares, for as long as an Italian made (in particular) machine then they will be sorry. I am hopeful however that with some ingenuity even if SB don;t provide them, straight generic replacements could be found (such as relays or solenoids for example) and swapped in fairly readily. If the control panel goes that could be a different story, although a sparky could readily convert it to a straight manual, non-volumetric brew switch one would have thought. I am not suggesting pulling them apart, but I would if there was a problem out of warranty and I would be hopeful of fixing it...but if not so be it.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by ozscott link=1200222062/0#7 date=1200395552
                  I am hopeful however that with some ingenuity even if SB don;t provide them, straight generic replacements could be found (such as relays or solenoids for example) and swapped in fairly readily. If the control panel goes that could be a different story, although a sparky could readily convert it to a straight manual, non-volumetric brew switch one would have thought.

Cheers
                  Ozscott,

There certainly are some bits which could be replaced without too much difficulty (if you have the skill to do it) but things like the controller (its "brains") do so much which is unique to the machine (and which makes it work so well) I cant see it being replaced (or even bypassed).

Unlike my machine where seperate "bits" control different functions (temperature of the extraction and steam pressure is set by the pressurestat - boiler fill has its own discrete circuit etc) everything is done by the controller board in the Sunbeams (just like on a super auto).

I can rip my controller out.... fit a couple of switches to operate the 3 ways.... and I have a fully functioning semi automatic..... The Sunbeam would require something like two PIDs to control the temperature of the brew and steam, switches to activate the pumps, circuitry for water level sensing.... etc - all doable but VERY expensive (even compared to a genuine controller board - if you can get one)

Comment

Bugger....ok then I am just crossing my fingers that the controller does not go out to lunch!!

Cheers matey.

PS. My em is at work....my baby is at home and I must admit to loving all the big brass bits! (pulled it apart and attached another steam arm - ie 2 in total) the the other day and it is dead easy to work on).

Comment

Java agreed with what your saying - what i am saying is there is a incosistency between service. Ie you ring 1 day and all good. you ring another day not good. etc.... Also as a trend they seem to be slowly slacking in service - up till now very impressed with service....
                      evil SB? any large company making good coffee machines (even in china) is a bit devilish and suspect ;-)....

Comment

Working...
                      X