Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 6910 leaking around the porta filter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 6910 leaking around the porta filter.

I have a new SB6910 which was only purchased 4 days ago. I am finding that water often leaks around the filter and drips out the back of the group head, often carying the ground coffee with it. Now I am making sure that the handle is in tight and I check the pressure gage and it is staying in the center part. So does anyone know if this is a common problem I need to put up with or should I be ringing sunbeam. My gut feeling is to go with the later - is there any other suggestions. Also I am grinding the coffee in a 480 Sunbeam grinder on about setting 5.

Regards,
    Nevin.

Re: New 6910 leaking around the porta filter.

It needs to be really right mate - at least at right angles to the machine or around a bit more - ie towards the hot water wand if possible.

Cheers

Comment

Youll see an arrow on the group head to the right of centre.
      Thats about where you are aiming to turn the handle to. No less.

Also, I know you cant really compare grinders but 5 sounds a bit fine.
      The few Sunbeams Im aware of personally, are set around the 12-14 range.
      The pressure guage would indicate iether Im wrong about the grind setting or as ozscott suggests, the handles not turned far enough.

Try the handle position first (dont change anything else) and see what happens.

P.S. Where are you?

Comment

I am in Adelaide.

OK When I get home tonight I will give it another try tightening it further. Also in regards to the grind setting what I did was I kept dropping it down a few notches until I was getting the pressure gauge in the right zone. Although what I may try doing is returning it to 10 or so and pressing it in a bit harder.

Regards,
        Nevin.

Comment

When I say pressing it in a bit harder, I should have been more specific and explained that I meant the ground coffee.

Nevin.

Comment

The leaking has been resolved after tightening the handle in to the group head. The amount of effort required causes the back door covering the water tank to open and then close again. I have read previously of this occuring.

Nevin

Comment

Good to hear Nevin - having a possessed machine is not a problem, providing it puts out good coffee.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Nevin link=1200541064/0#5 date=1200833389
                The leaking has been resolved after tightening the handle in to the group head. The amount of effort required causes the back door covering the water tank to open and then close again. I have read previously of this occuring.

Nevin
                Sounds like you may need to drop your dosing a bit.. it shouldnt be that hard to tighten the group Handle

Comment

yeah you want to overdose, but your overdosing a mil or 2 too much. drop the dose a bit, and if your shots too quick, then fine up your grind.

Comment

Hi Nevin - Im new to my em6910 and have the same prob. With mine it seems that the gap between the tamper and the basket is wide enough to allow grinds to creep up when tamping. As long as Im obsessive about removing that before locking in the head it seems to cure the leak without requiring too much force or reducing the dose. As the machine seems to love overdosing its fortunate that I am obsessive. As to the em 6910 being possesed I cant say, although my grinder thinks its Elvis........

Comment

Working...
                    X