Nemox Cafe Fenice vs Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nemox Cafe Fenice vs Silvia

Base on my experiences with the Classic (corrosion), I have decided to move on to either a Silvia (still a little steep for my budget) or (have recently found out) the Nemox Cafe Fenice. My basic criteria is to have a brass boiler (goodbye corrosion).

Can anyone share some of their experiences with both machines, and if possible maybe a comparison? I am leaning more towards the Nemox at the moment from a price point of view, but I hear there are some shortfalls of the Nemox (ie. cant do microfoam with the Nemox) etc. etc..

Does the Nemox also take 50 mins to warm up?

Re: Nemox Cafe Fenice vs Silvia

Cremacrema,

The best I could do on this is refer you here, mods hopefully thats OK given the context of this is information not a non-sponsor sale referral.
    Visual reference removed....

I owned a Napoletana which was the same as the Dell Opera (Fenice + grinder). Excellent results but I do prefer the Silvia. Its build quality and overall feel is much more solid and commercial in nature whereas the Opera feels a little more domestic. Its really only once you have them both in front of you and use them that this becomes apparent. Ive got a Dell Opera and Silvia on my test bench at the moment so its an easy comparison to make just now; the steam wand is definitely a problem on the Opera but Im hoping to be able to work around that with an adapter and a Silvia tip. Both machines will have the water up to temperature in about two minutes as both have a 300ml brass boiler with a 1200w element, but both will take similar times to warm up the rest of the machine. My guess is the Nemox would be a bit quicker as its a boiler on group design whereas the Silvias group is offset.

If you already have a grinder and can budget for the Silvia Id definitely be looking in that direction, otherwise the Fenice will get you off to a good start.

Greg

Comment

CC

Yup! What Greg says.

Also,
      a year or two ago, there had been some supply/supplier issues with the Quaha/Imat/Nap/Nemox machine.
      When [at the time] I was looking for such a beastie, there seemed to be a bit of feature variance between these rebadged models, in particular one of the models [and I think it was the Nemox] did not have a three way valve.

Whilst the supply/supplier hiccup seems to have been resolved,
      If going down this path, double check very carefully with the supplier that the model has the three way valve.

FWIW, I ended up with a Silvia, it produces great shots and I really appreciate using a machine of its build quality.
      With the benefit of hindsight, Im very glad I went this way, but as Greg says the Dell wont let you down either.

Comment

is the Three Way Valve of Dire Importance??
        would i be stupid to get the Nemox Fennice if it doesnt have the 3 way?

Comment

Originally posted by gmeddy link=1200571771/0#3 date=1204379718
          is the Three Way Valve of Dire Importance??
          would i be stupid to get the Nemox Fennice if it doesnt have the 3 way?
          No mate, you wouldnt be stupid.....

The Fenice has all the necessary qualities to produce excellent espresso pours providing you do your part properly. The 3-Way Valve is NOT an essential criterion in this equation, more of a convenience in that you dont need to wait for the pressure to dissipate before removing the PF. About the only time this is considered important is when the user is in a situation where rapid consecutive shots of espresso are required, as in a commercial or entertainment scenario. For everyone else, its "nice to have" and.... convenient

Mal.

Comment

My understanding is the Fenice has the 3 way anyway, at least here in AU. Either way though it doenst affect the shot quality, only how quickly you can pull back to back shots and how messy things get!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Pullman link=1200571771/0#5 date=1204460163
              My understanding is the Fenice has the 3 way anyway, at least here in AU. Either way though it doenst affect the shot quality, only how quickly you can pull back to back shots and how messy things get!
              Unfortunately, no longer Greg.... They removed it from the machine spec a couple of years ago ,

Mal.

Comment

Unfortunately, no longer Greg.... They removed it from the machine spec a couple of years ago ,

Mal.
                According to the www.nemox.it web site, the Fenice has a solenoid valve.

FENICE  

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS  
                Rating 230V 50Hz 1000W
                120V 60Hz 1000W
                Pump 16 bar
                Water tank 2 l.  
                Coffee thermostat 95°C
                Steam thermostat 125°C
                Safety thermofuse 152° C
                Safety valve by-pass
                Single and double filters *
                Measure / pressing spoon *
                Brass boiler *
                Stainless steel armoured heating element *
                Chromium-plated brass filter holder Ø 65
                With solenoid valve *
                Appliance body - stainless Steel *
                Dimensions (W/D/H) 21x26x32 cm
                Weight 7,5 Kg.
                Coloured gift box 33x29x41 cm

The unit that was for sale on e-bay yesterday with a Gaggia MM grinder sold for $348 - a good deal I think.

Comment

Theres another reason to have a three-way, and that is that it means you can backflush the machine for thorough cleaning (against manufacturers advice, of course ).

matt

Comment

BTW, is the Fenice a 57mm basket, like the Mokita?

Comment

Originally posted by MelbourneDee link=1200571771/0#7 date=1204501470
                      According to the www.nemox.it web site, the Fenice has a solenoid valve.
                      The models coming to Australia do not have the 3-Way fitted, I have no idea why not but there you go. You can verify this by visiting the Aussie importers website,

Cheers,
                      Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by MelbourneDee link=1200571771/0#7 date=1204501470
                        The unit that was for sale on e-bay yesterday with a Gaggia MM grinder sold for $348 - a good deal I think.

i missed it, in the last minute i realised itd been outbid and didnt have enough time to re-bid.
                        ive now purchased an Ikon for 170 after postage of $40.
                        so soon ill be able to actually make comments about making coffee isntead of just asking what machine i should get.
                        next will be roasting. im keen to get into that.

Comment

Working...
                        X