Where to buy Silvia steam tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy Silvia steam tips?

Does anyone know where I can buy a steam tip for a Silvia? So far Ive spoken to Mocopan and Grinders who Ive been referred to before, they carry some Silvia parts but only sell the complete steam wand as they mainly deal with commercial equipment. Ive checked through Coffeeparts too and they dont appear to have it either, although they do have a few small generic 2-hole steam tips which are similar. Any ideas apart from heading overseas?

Mods if theres an issue mentioning those suppliers feel free to strike them out, but I imagine Ill just get referred back to them if people dont know who Ive already tried.

Greg

Re: Where to buy Silvia steam tips?

First Line (http://www.1st-line.com/) sells steam tips for the Silvia. They also sell their own 3-hold tips for the Silvia (more steam power). They are in the US. Maybe we could do a group order to save some money on postage.

Also found some steam tips from local supporter Coffee Parts (http://www.coffeeparts.com/accessories/steamtips.html).

Also, on this topic: where can I get a naked portafilter locally? Its probably too expensive to ship from the US!

Update on naked portafilter (A CSer is selling me his! Thanks!).

Comment

<---- Check out COFFEE PARTS. Theyve got em (naked PFs) for sale and its way cheaper than trying to pull one from OS with the exchange rates atm especially. (Plus youre supporting our site sponsors)

Comment

Thanks Shawn, yeah I saw them on 1st-line and a few others but I was hoping somewhere local would have them before heading overseas. Cant say Im getting inundated with replies here though so maybe not!

A 3 hole tip may or may not be a good thing, I read one review I think on HB that said it was harder to get microfoam. I dont find the steam volume from a 1 home tip to be inadequate, but it would be an interesting experiment I guess.

Comment

Hi Greg,

Have you tried Peter at the non-sponsor, Rundle Street, Kent Town?
          He is a distributor for Silvia and may have a spare.

Regards

Trevor

Comment

I purchased a three hole tip from USA.  It was ever so cheap including postage (about 30au) and was here in a week!  But I found Sylvia really did not have the volume/head of steam for it to work the milk.  It certainly heated the milk quickly!  I must try it again now I have cleaned the walls!!

If desperate: It is possible to make a steam tip from threaded rod and a dome nut.  I think you can get the bits from Coventries in SS but you need patience and a press drill.  I made mine with a 1mm hole (smaller than the normal tip) but I have not tried it since I fitted the PID.  It has a longer steaming time and I guess would keep the pressure and temp higher and does not cause any harm to the boiler. I must try this again also.
            dumiya

Comment

Hi Trevor,

No I havent tried them yet. I did leave a voice message with a sponsor last week but had no reply so far as I wanted to do it that way first. Ill give him a call, thanks!

Dumiya - interesting to hear, maybe I wont bother with the 3 hole then. Im sure Id be able to make something if push came to shove, I just figured these would be 2c and readily available so why not get the real thing, but obviously not.

Greg

One post to go...

Comment

Greg
                I tried my 3 hole steam tip today!
                It is very fast heating the milk, and running out of steam pressure in the process (from150° with steam light on all the time to below 120°).  And the bubbles  ------ huge----  and the milk quite separated from the froth (not foam).
                I dont think it is possible to get a swirl for micro foam (and  keep the milk in the jug) as the 3 holes all point in different directions.  

I am  considering plugging 2 holes then it might swirl the milk without tipping the jug.

I used a 750ml Italian jug but with milk for only TWO flat whites.

Still a novice  -
                David

Comment

Hi David,

Interesting you say that... I made a three hole steam tip yesterday and was VERY impressed with its performance. But I found during the design stage there are a few very critical factors to avoid big bubbles and generally get good steam tip performance, and I think thats whats brought the good results. I did two jugs, had no big bubbles with either jug and both were silky microfoam with less effort than the stock tip, though with a slightly different technique required. The stock Silvia tip has worked well for me but this is a definite improvement, which is encouraging since its only the first prototype. The size of the holes, the number of the holes, the shape of the tip and particularly the placement of the holes on those angles and their orientation can make a huge difference between a bubbling mess and microfoam. Ive got a second design made now which aims to check out some other factors that Ill be trying out tonight. At this stage Im still determining what are the key factors and understanding how microfoam is created versus how big bubbles are made, and how to maximise those microfoam factors. I certainly have theories, but once Ive done a bit more work Ill be in a better position to say more certainly than I am at this point.

I think theres a perception that more holes = better steam performance, but theres definitely more to it than that. The three holes means the milk has to behave differently in the jug to a single tip but good results are certainly possible if the tips designed properly.

Trevorbeans: this little project has me interested so Ill get onto that person if Im unhappy with the quality of what I can make myself, which thus far Im not.

Greg

Comment

Greg
                    Thank you the challenge.

For your information

The steam tip I have has three holes that are < 1.5mm and > 1mm ( ?1.25mm ?imp?)
                    They are each about 40° off the vertical line of the nozzle.  This means a sort of 80° spread.
                    In three equal directions.
                    They are each the approximate size of the one on the standard nozzle - which I think is slighty too big.

Smaller holes with less spread  might be good. I have made a single hole 1mm nozzle that I was happy with.  

Or has someone thought of a ventury (cant spell it) nozzle to suck foam in?

David

Comment

Hi Greg,

It appears youve hit on a good design! Ill be interested to follow this thread to learn of your progress with the new tip.

Have you angled the holes outwards from the line of the steaming wand/nozzle, a la VBM Domobar Levetta and some others?

Although the Levettas nozzle has only 2 holes, each is splayed outward at an angle of perhaps 45 degrees from the wand, and it definitely requires a different technique to produce decent microfoam than a conventional tip. Very interesting, indeed!

Regards,

Trevor

Comment

David,

Some tips do use a venturi such as the standard Nemox tip but in present configurations theyre designed to create lots of bubbly froth rather than microfoam. Maybe thats the nature of a venturi or maybe its just in their implementation.

Trevorbeans: Im sure what Im doing isnt new but I dont have any other tips to compare it to so its just my own work - which may be reinventing the wheel, or it may be approaching an old problem from a different angle since Im coming at it with no preconceptions about what a good tip is. It may be what the Levetta does, theres certainly some angle on the holes (i.e. not just two holes shooting in the same direction), so it requires a different technique to get the milk rolling in a vertical plane rather than just whirlpooling, but whether the angles and positioning of the holes on those faces are the same I couldnt say.

Ill keep you posted anyway; just about to try out todays prototype

Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg,

I also roll the milk in a vertical plane, with the wand nearly vertical to the milk, and the tip submerged by about 5mm, until 20 to 30 degrees, depending on what drink Im making.

Look forward to hearing your progress.

Trevor

Comment

Working...
                          X