Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to all.....im new here!

Hello all coffee lovers and enthusiasts alike!,
    You lot have caused me a lot of running around and fibbing! - let me fill you in....

Ok there i was, sick to death of drinking burnt crappy coffee out of my breville bar vista, loved the whole process of grinding the beans, filling the water, pouring the coffee, frothing the milk.....just didnt like the taste too much, my parents bought a small shop in bendigo with a commercial coffee machine, it makes beautiful coffee and i was jealous!, so here i was thinking its time to upgrade.
    Well i wandered around all day last sunday thinking of spending around $250, long story short i bought a breville 800ES, very happy with the purchase, came home made my first coffee and .......uh, thought i was doing something wrong, got on the net to do some research, found a site called www.coffeesnobs.com.au through google.com, i looked around the forums here and the impression i got was that i bought a good looking boat anchor!, my mind started to think.......hmm the sales lady told me the coffee/steam switch was an adjustable dial.....well it wasnt!, there was my excuse to return it for a full refund!, people here were mentioning the gaggia classic and the rancilio silvia, i went down to harvey normals and went to look for a gaggia. But all they had were the gaggia baby twin for $639, i raced home jumped on the forum and asked the question, i had heard nothing of the twin and even though it was a gaggia, i didnt want to make the same mistake again.....unfortunately i received no replys and i thought nope, im not buying it without consulting the experts.
    So then i jumped on EBAY!, searched and searched for either a gaggia classic or a silvia, any way many sweaty waiting hours later i was the proud new owner of a rancilio silvia!, it is due to be delivered mid next week and i cant wait, now i just need to get myself a decent grinder so i can throw out the cheapy and a tamp too.
    What im saying in all of this is thankyou for all the expert content on this site, it guided me to finding a great machine!, thankyou coffeesnobs!
    see you soon with my first few results next week!
    cheers

Re: Hello to all.....im new here!

Welcome WS!

Well you cant really go wrong with a Silvia if youve done the research and decided a single boiler machine will do what you want. Hopefully you get some after-sales service from your Silvia reseller, sometimes eBay can be a bit risky like that; but at least youve got a machine thats so reliable it hardly needs a warranty!

Plenty of threads here already about grinders (Information on Grinders) and tampers so have a good read and Im sure youll find a combo that suits.

Welcome aboard!

Greg

Comment

Thanks greg, i had a look at your tampers on your website, great site too by the way, am i right in saying that i send the basket to you, so you can fit the tamper to the basket?
      cheers
      warren

Comment

Hey WSullivan,

Welcome aboard,
        Great machine you got there, you wont be disappointed

Cheers
        DAF

Comment

Originally posted by WSullivan link=1200742914/0#2 date=1200745302
          Thanks greg, i had a look at your tampers on your website, great site too by the way, am i right in saying that i send the basket to you, so you can fit the tamper to the basket?
          cheers
          warren
          Thanks Warren. Yes thats the best way to go about it so we can get it just right. The other safe option is the purchase of replacement baskets which we fit the tamper to pre-delivery. There are a couple of options after that but theyre not as reliable as they rely on historical data or your own capacity to measure to 0.05mm tolerance.

Greg

Comment

Welcome to CS Warren and your choice of Silvia, you will get great results once you get to know her. I bought a Pullman tamper and a Synesso double ridgeless basket for mine and it has made a huge difference to my shots, highly recommended!!
            There are some great grinders to choose from, I went for Rocky to match Silvia, read threads on grinders, there is a wealth of info if you search.
            Will keep an eye out for future posts
            cheers
            Trevor

Comment

Working...
            X