Gaggia Classic... EM0480 .. I still have no idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaggia Classic... EM0480 .. I still have no idea

Hi... sorry, these answers are probably elsewhere, but I could not find them
    I have a Gaggia Classic Machine and just bought a Sunbeam 0480... Every shot I pull seems to have water in the portafilter when I am done. Im not too sure whats going on.
    When my grinder is set on the espresso range... nothing comes out, so I have set it on the coarsest... but still have excess water.. I am missing something? can anyone help please?

Re: Gaggia Classic... EM0480 .. I still have no id

Gday markally,

If you use Google to help you search through the entire CS website, its amazing how much info can be found. Just use a "site specific" search option when using Google and see what turns up.... like this,

Cheers,
    Mal.

Comment

hey thanks so much... I am always learning about my friend google

Mark

Comment

Along with the coarseness of the grind its important to have the basket full (and well tamped) to the top so that when the water hits the coffee and it expands it doesnt have room to move.

I have the same grinder as you (but an inferior espresso machine) and find that with correct grinding/dosing/tamping I (almost) have a dry puck.

Comment

Markally

As Krane says,

Underdosing may be the culprit for water remaining on the puck, or at worst, the puck could even be soggy and not knock out cleanly.

When properly ground, dosed and tamped, the PF should feel tight [ie there should be a little resistance] when twisting it into place.
          The simplest check for correct dose, is to insert it, then remove it prior to pulling the shot...........If correctly dosed you should see an impression of the showerscreen screw and even perhaps an impression of the shower screen itself.

Oh yeah also, youve probably read that the tamp needs a pressure of about 13Kg. Check this by using bathroom scales, if you havent yet done this you may be surprised by how much force 13Kg actually is.

Once you have the dosing/tamping right it is time to work on your grind setting.

With the EM0480, just being in the "espresso range" is no guarantee that the grind setting is right. In fact with any grinder, the settings are really arbitary.

A double shot extraction should produce about 60ml in about 25 seconds [time it from when the first drips appear], if the flow is too much/fast make grind finer....and vice versa.

The only other reason I can think of is that your machine has no three way valve.
          Machines without three way valves will usually end up with water on the puck because the 3way valve "vents" off the excess water and pressure not used in the shot.
          I dont know this for a 100% fact, but I think the Classics do have 3 way valves so this is probably not the source of your problem.

Let us know how you go once you try the full-dosing.

Comment

The EM0480 is not up to producing a good grind for a gaggia Classic. It just cannot produce a very good grind for the commercial based build of the Classic.

I hate telling people this, but the minimum grinder for this machine is a Gaggia MDF or Iberital challenge, which cost about $300.

Comment

Sorry Lucinda, Ill bite at that one...

Ive setup a Classic and a EM0450 and produced fantastic shots!

Comment

Lucinda - if the 480 can run a 6910 it can run a gaggia ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X