Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth upgrading to EM 6910 from Krups Vivo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth upgrading to EM 6910 from Krups Vivo?

Hi there  

I own Krups Vivo for llast few years - it produces decent expresso (at least from my prospective). It has stainless steel boiler  and was quite cheap(200 bucks).

I also have a reasonable grinder which maches Krups Vivo well - delongi which is co-branded as Solis(looks similiar to current Solis maestro but is 2 years old - previous model).

With budget of around 600 bucks - is it woth upgrading to EM 6910?

I would not go for Silvia - I use it at work daily and it works well there but I am not happy to start machine one hour before making coffee (so that Silvia warms up).

Would I notice a difference in espresso quality with EM 6910?
    Would Solis grinder still hold?

Anybody upgraded from Krups Vivo to EM 6910?

Cheers,

Viktor

Re: Is it worth upgrading to EM 6910 from Krups Vi

welcome viktor! cant vouch for krups as havent had 1, but my relatives and friends have got a few and have to say arent real machines the like the 6910. The heat up time of the 6910 is to say the least fantastic. especially if you like me , leave the machine on standby. This means the machine is always @ 70% power and full temp is but 1min away???aprox- maybe less... espresso compared to silvia - i cant taste the difference. (but i drink more milk based.) happy choosing!

Comment

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1201044176/0#0]This Thread[/link]
      Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Hi Russel,

This is interesting - Ive checked - my grinder is also KG 100. It works quite well for me for Krups Vivo. I use normally 3rd or 4th finest setting.
        I understand you are saying that KG 100 is not suitable for EM 9610? Whats the issue? Never had any inconsistent grinds (subject to difference in beans - same blend always caomes up the same). I also did not do any "espresso tweaks"...

Is it definitely a grinder issue?

Will try to search for these problems with KG 100..
        Cheers,

Viktor

Comment

Viktor,

the KG100 just doesnt grind fine enough or accurately enough for "Commercial" type machines.

Take it from me, having tried it - it doesnt make the grade with the EM6910.

Comment

Marc is spot on Viktor. I suspect that the Krups uses dual wall crema enhancing baskets (ie it percolates the coffee grounds in the basket - check the bottom of the basket if there are only one or a few holes rather than 100 odd then youve got the dual wall). The EM is a commercial style machine that properly will properly squeeze the water through the grinds and out without going round and round on the journey percolating the coffee on the way....the KG will not produce the nice syrupy 20-30 second shots that you would want - even with the internal tweak to get it to grind finner mine does not serve it up fine enough to my EM6910. You would need to go to the matched sunbeam grinder (read the write ups under the grinder section here) or say the Rancilio Rocky for long term ownership.

The EM is a very nice machine, and there are heaps of threads about it on this site.

Cheers

Comment

...ohh and it is warm and ready within a couple of mins from dead cold (to warm the group thoroughly just run a couple of double shots of water through it and that too is ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by viktor link=1200996725/0#0 date=1200996724
                I would not go for Silvia - I use it at work daily and it works well there but I am not happy to start machine one hour before making coffee (so that Silvia warms up).
                Hi Viktor,
                You might find this thread of interest to you for saving time heating the Silvia at work - http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1199143138.
                Essentially, there is a link in there to an article titled "Cheating Miss Silvia" which takes you step by step to heating up the Silvia to its optimum temperature in just 8 minutes.
                Cheers,
                Phil

Comment

I suspect that the Krups uses dual wall crema enhancing baskets
                  No...
                  In fact , Krups Vivo is pretty decent small machine if you make espresso. It has proper baskets and powered by stainless steel boiler. I think that difference here is that it uses 53 mm baskets (not 58 mm as Silvia and EM9610 do) - but still takes up to 15 grams of coffee in double basket.
                  This is probably why KG 100 seems to be quite adequate with Vivo.

So. I am getting the message .. if upgrading to Silvia/EM 6910 you seem need to go for EM0480 at least or for Rocky or similar...
                  Cheers,
                  Viktor

Comment

Hi Viktor

For some reason my previous reply was deemed "off topic"

If you look at some of the discussion in my original post on "snobs" http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1196407894/15
                    there are some comments about the KG100.

Lately I have had to back off from a zero setting to about 3.5 to stop choking the 6910. May be humidity or may be the grinder.

Regards

Russell

Comment

Hi Russel,

May be I am not a coffee snob enough, but for me KG100 works both for Silvia at work and for Vivo at home.
                      Silvia seems to produce fluffier (and more) crema than when using coffee from the coffee shop. Probably it is explained by existence of some smaller particles in the KG100 grind as explained in your thread. Taste wise it is all ok though.
                      I use setting 3 for Silvia - no chocking and around 20 sec extraction time for double espresso.

I guess I will wait for another bonus time whem EM9610 comws with the 0480 grinder

Regards

Viktor

Comment

Working...
                      X