EM6910 diagnosis request please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 diagnosis request please

Hello coffee friends. After lurking around as a guest for a while I am making my first post to the board. I dived into the espresso world with an EM6910 and 480 grinder a couple of weeks ago (on the cumulated advice from this forum, considering my budget).

To date, I have been unable to produce a decent shot except with some pre-ground "plunger" coffee from the supermarket. I used the pressurised basket for this success and was really hopeful because I thought of it as a baseline experience from which things should only improve (and it was really pretty good - on par at least with many cafes!). Alas my hopes have been dashed!

After all my gleaning here I still cant work out what Im doing wrong with my own freshly ground efforts! With either the single or double standard baskets in place, and using the appropriate single or double cup buttons with factory settings assigned to them, I barely get 10 or 20 mls of espresso in the cups, and that with no crema! I have tried no tamping to heavy tamping with little difference in the outcome. I have varied the grind from 8 to about 18 on the 480 but this too doesnt really solve the volume problem. In fact, at the setting of 8 on the grinder, nothing at all comes into the cup! Anyone got some clues please?

Re: diagnosis request please

Sounds like youre grind is too fine... Course up the grind and updose...

Oh, and do the Sunbeam course... its very good...

Also, ARE you using fresh beans? Where did you get them from?

Comment

Thanks MarcS, I have booked to do the course but havent yet heard when or where ...I live about 50 km south of Adelaide.

I am using some beans from a local cafe who were good enough to suppply me with about half a kg to experiment with - Griffiths blend.

Comment

Hi Rev....Hate to stay it but in all liklihood, the coffee you are using is stone motherless stale....

You need to get you some really fresh stuff!

Chris

Comment

Hi Rev,

Im not too far from you and Ive normally got a steady supply of fresh beans (roast my own when I get low) if you cant find any you know are fresh. In all likelihood the stuff you were given was given away because it was old, as 2mcm suggested.

Greg

Comment

Stick with it Rev, fresh beans, the right grind and tamp, updose and you should get there fairly soon, the satisfaction of pulling a great shot will be worth the effort!!!
            Make sure the top burr on your grinder is aligned and locked in correctly as sometimes they dont sit correctly!!

Comment

Re: EM6910 diagnosis request please

Thanks for the comments guys. Im relieved tat no one has suggested problems with pump, valve, or other more drastic machine issues. I will persist with grinding variables for now - oh...and fresh beans.

Where are you in the CBD Greg? I am intending to go to the Central Market on Monday, so I could drop in then.

Comment

Hi!

Im rather green into coffee wold, but I approached like this:
                Took the single filter, grinded the beans with coarse espresso setting
                Made coffee, watched the pressure dial to be in brown area
                If it was lower, I changed grinder to finer and repeated. Just make sure, you put same amount and tamper same style.

I have not measured the volume, that comes by automatic - will have to cross check.
                If I want more crema, I just use manual mode.

Have phun!
                jb

Comment

I only use manual.

That way if it starts to blonde early I can stop it.

Comment

rev it sounds like its not the machine or grinder, just technique and maybe beans. Stick with it pal your not far off ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rev link=1201055626/0#6 date=1201121420
                      Thanks for the comments guys. Im relieved tat no one has suggested problems with pump, valve, or other more drastic machine issues. I will persist with grinding variables for now - oh...and fresh beans.

Where are you in the CBD Greg? I am intending to go to the Central Market on Monday, so I could drop in then.
                      Sorry Rev... public holiday yesterday so not here. Email or PM me if you want some fresh beans, I roasted some on the weekend and theyre peaking about now!

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by MarcS link=1201055626/0#1 date=1201056064
                        Oh, and do the Sunbeam course... its very good...
                        I have just bought a Sunbeam EM6910. I havent heard about this course and cant find anything on Sunbeams website. can someone fill me in please?

I also heard something about a DVD on the EM6910. Does anyone know anything about that?

Comment

Give Sunbeam a call stephie. I think youll find their toll free number on the inside of the back door of your machine. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Comment

The DVD will give you an idea of the basics, but youll learn more in two minutes of reading here than the 15 minutes or so of the DVD IMO.

The course on the other hand is apparently well worth doing - although I notice that Sunbeam have removed all reference to it from their website. Hope theyre still running it since Ive planned a trip to Melbourne partly in order to do the course!

Comment

I have a colleague who just purchased the EM6910 and he tells me that the course voucher was included.
                              I dont know if it was "in the box" or something added by the salesperson.
                              His was through Myer.

He is about to go on holidays, so I dont think he has called about it yet, but he certainly plans to.

Comment

Working...
                              X